China reveals Iran's nuclear secrets to UN

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
The telegraph? Weren't they the ones who found WMD's in Iraq every other week from 2003 onward?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hook, line and sinker. The bit about Turkey is particularly amusing, seeing as how they're a NATO member, under the nuclear protection umbrella of the US and GB. Anonymous fearmongering at its finest.

Analyze the situation. The Bush Admin claims that the Iranians are seeking nuclear weapons because of their uranium enrichment program, monitored by the IAEA, who, in turn, is satisfied that the Iranians are not producing weapons grade uranium. That's not evidence, but rather projection based on conjecture and suspicion. The OP's linked article is just more of the same in support of the agenda, an artful blending of small facts and large fictions.

We saw the same tactics in the leadup to the invasion of Iraq. What would lead anybody to think this is any different? The principle that even a stopped clock is right twice a day?

We've already been chumped into a totally unnecessary war- who's fool enough to follow the perps into another?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
...monitored by the IAEA, who, in turn, is satisfied that the Iranians are not producing weapons grade uranium

Source?

We've already been chumped into a totally unnecessary war- who's fool enough to follow the perps into another?

It wasn't unecessary. Unfortunately half of America has been yelling "there is no wolf" for so long that even if there was impeccible evidence that someone will nuke the US or an ally of the US, that same half of America has effectively hamstrung us from acting. Enter the next Hitler or Stalin, now is your chance to do your deed.

TallPilot

Sep 25, 2007
We still need a little payback for the Iranian hostage fiasco. A few thousand sorties will get the job done.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Source of my remarks wrt Iran's production of fuel grade enriched uranium-

http://www.iaea.org/Publicatio...ard/2008/gov2008-4.pdf

Item 52 of the above.

And there's this bit of crudely crafted fearmongering and denial-

It wasn't unecessary. Unfortunately half of America has been yelling "there is no wolf" for so long that even if there was impeccible evidence that someone will nuke the US or an ally of the US, that same half of America has effectively hamstrung us from acting. Enter the next Hitler or Stalin, now is your chance to do your deed.

Source of the "it wasn't unnecessary" remark? What did we find in Iraq that was allegedly the basis for invasion? Nothing? Yep, that's right, nothing- no WMD's, no nuclear program, no govt sponsored terrarist! training centers- zero, zip, nothing, nada.

And then the "even if" setup for a bit of fearmongering, the injection of supposition as fact followed by the imagined consequences. Please, only the truly well conditioned and faithful followers of Rush, Hannity and the current Regime are sucker enough to go for it...

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: TallPilot
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: palehorse74
I pray every day that we can stop Iran from obtaining nukes without ever attacking them.

Got any ideas?

That's his plan, he's praying!

A swing and a miss! You don't know PH very well. ;)

no, he's half right... As a Deist, i do still pray... to something I call "God" even! I just wouldn't call it a "plan"... it's simply all I can do.

As for my work itself, Iran is not in my current AOR...

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Source of my remarks wrt Iran's production of fuel grade enriched uranium-

http://www.iaea.org/Publicatio...ard/2008/gov2008-4.pdf

Item 52 of the above.

And there's this bit of crudely crafted fearmongering and denial-

Source of the "it wasn't unnecessary" remark? What did we find in Iraq that was allegedly the basis for invasion? Nothing? Yep, that's right, nothing- no WMD's, no nuclear program, no govt sponsored terrarist! training centers- zero, zip, nothing, nada.

And then the "even if" setup for a bit of fearmongering, the injection of supposition as fact followed by the imagined consequences. Please, only the truly well conditioned and faithful followers of Rush, Hannity and the current Regime are sucker enough to go for it...

So you think contingency planning is fearmongering? Sounds like your trying to bury your head in the sand but your on the fense on whether you think it's a good idea or not. Obviously some people are still getting to you so there's some hope I guess.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Qianglong
Originally posted by: ericlp
Question is.....Why would Iran Tell China that they want to make WMD? Hmmmm, You'd think that would be the LAST thing they would tell anyone if they really wanted to hide that fact.

Oh well....As the world churns...

Because china is the most powerful country in asia and has the expertise to make nukes and hence iran seeked help?

Good that china let it out because China has no plans to use the nukes other than self defence. Let the busy americans troops policing the world handle iran while china takes the back seats. Maybe another expendable 5000 lives will get the job 20% done this time?

China's plan is to get America sucked into another conflict, thus making America sell more bonds to china to raise funding to attack Iran. China will then have America by the nuts and we will never have seen it coming. In one swift pull we lose our nuts and China becomes the #1 economic driving country in the world.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Socio said:

To elevate a country whose government is an Islamic militant regime that w ants Israel wiped off the map has made similar threats to the US and is a terrorist supporting nation as a respectable major power is insane.

Sorry to break it to you , but they already are "elevated", and guess who was mostly responsible for that "elevation" as you say.

You could also say that most ME countries would be happy that Isreal be "wiped off the map". Whats your solution?, you offer nothing other than cherry picked pajama's media links.

Let's assume the worst case scenario: Iran has nuclear weapons tomorrow.

Exactly who does this threaten? The chance they could use these weapons against the USA? Zero. The chance they could use them against Israel? Zero.

In both cases, using the weapons would equal instant, total suicide for a society that existed as an empire since before the classical age of the Greeks. That's over 3000 years.

Now, this might not be fun for their traditional rivals, the Iraqis (Babylonians, Assyrians, etc), or for Pakistan, especially the ethnic Baluchis who have long had designs on parts of Iran, or the Afghanis, who conquered - and kept - part of Iran in the late 1800s, or the Russians.

Besides, Israel and Iran both share a long history of sophisticated, subtle management of international relations. Both have manipulated the good 'old USA with consummate skill over the last 50 years.

Regarding any findings or advice from current Israelis or Iranians - whoever our friends might be at the current moment - caveat emptor.

Think about it: who did the US invasion of Iraq benefit? It benefited Iran and Israel like gangbusters, by eliminating the key - and only - real threat both countries faced.

For the USA, it was a shit sandwich.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Originally posted by: jjones
Can someone explain why Iran shouldn't seek to have nuclear weapons? Not that I want Iran to have them, I certainly do not, but I've never understood the rationale behind one nation having them and another being bombed for trying to acquire them. It seems hypocritical and I'd much rather that all nations be forbid from having them.

It's very simple, they shouldnt' get nukes because most of the world doesn't want them to have them. Do they have the right?. Of course they do, but other countries have the right to defend themselves from perceived threats, which the US and EU are trying to do.

Then do other nations have the right to defend themsfelf from the 'perceived threat' of the US, who is rumored to be pursuing or even already have nukes, with an act like 9/11?

The logic of the righties always leads in one direction - our use of force for increasing our power is unlimited, to the point of world domination, while everyone else's must be limited.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Originally posted by: jjones
Can someone explain why Iran shouldn't seek to have nuclear weapons? Not that I want Iran to have them, I certainly do not, but I've never understood the rationale behind one nation having them and another being bombed for trying to acquire them. It seems hypocritical and I'd much rather that all nations be forbid from having them.

It's very simple, they shouldnt' get nukes because most of the world doesn't want them to have them. Do they have the right?. Of course they do, but other countries have the right to defend themselves from perceived threats, which the US and EU are trying to do.

Then do other nations have the right to defend themselves from the 'perceived threat' of the US, who is rumored to be pursuing or even already have nukes, with an act like 9/11?
Anyone/Everyone has "the right" to try, but they must also be prepared to suffer the guaranteed consequences.

The logic of the righties always leads in one direction - our use of force for increasing our power is unlimited, to the point of world domination, while everyone else's must be limited.
I'm not really a "rightie," but I don't see that logic that you're attributing to them as flawed.

Such is life when you are the biggest kid on the block -- ensuring that your potential adversaries remain weaker than you seems like common sense. On the other hand, if they ever decide to embrace your philosophy (freedom, democracy, separation of church and state, etc), then by all means, build them up!

yep.. common sense...

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I pray every day that we can stop Iran from obtaining nukes without ever attacking them.

Got any ideas?
no... you?

We should unearth an ancient version of the Koran in which Muhammad states that using the devices of the infidels is a mortal sin.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

Got any ideas?
no... you?

We should unearth an ancient version of the Koran in which Muhammad states that using the devices of the infidels is a mortal sin.
:D got a map?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
According to this article Iran will get attacked soon.

If Iran does not Stop Nuclear Program, War is Unavoidable

Israel, Jerusalem, 4 April /corr. Trend News D.Khatinoglu, R.Abdullayev / If irrespective of the requirements of the international community, Iran continues uranium enrichment program, the war will be unavoidable as a final variant. ?If Iran does not stop its nuclear program, the war will begin in the near future,? Iranian politician, Mehran Barati, reported to TrendNews

I think one way or another Iran's nuclear future will not come to pass, time will tell though.

It is almost like they want to get attacked; with all their press releases bragging about their advancing nuclear technology their impending celebration of nuclear day on April 8th and their refusals to comply with the UN it is like they are poking the rest of the world with a stick daring them to try something. Now they have a Iranian politician saying they are fully expecting to get attacked over it.

The question is why?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Socio
According to this article Iran will get attacked soon.

If Iran does not Stop Nuclear Program, War is Unavoidable

Israel, Jerusalem, 4 April /corr. Trend News D.Khatinoglu, R.Abdullayev / If irrespective of the requirements of the international community, Iran continues uranium enrichment program, the war will be unavoidable as a final variant. ?If Iran does not stop its nuclear program, the war will begin in the near future,? Iranian politician, Mehran Barati, reported to TrendNews

I think one way or another Iran's nuclear future will not come to pass, time will tell though.

It is almost like they want to get attacked; with all their press releases bragging about their advancing nuclear technology their impending celebration of nuclear day on April 8th and their refusals to comply with the UN it is like they are poking the rest of the world with a stick daring them to try something. Now they have a Iranian politician saying they are fully expecting to get attacked over it.

The question is why?

Iminajihad believes he'll be the one to usher in the Islamic Messiah.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ericlp
Question is.....Why would Iran Tell China that they want to make WMD? Hmmmm, You'd think that would be the LAST thing they would tell anyone if they really wanted to hide that fact.

Oh well....As the world churns...

China and Russia are probably the only two countries that would sell the needed equipment and knowlegde to Iran.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Mehran Barati isn't an Iranian politician, Duwelon, he's an exile, a member of a Kurdish independence party. Remember Ahmad Chalabi? Kinda like that... His opinion is, uhh, not necessarily credible...

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Why are SO MANY people BLIND

They would clean our politicians assholes with their face if it was demanded of them and then still vote for them..

Do we really just believe that America is perfect?

Care to read about OPERATION AJAX????

Care to know anything about the citizenry of a country BEFORE you Play SHOCK AND AWE and kill tons of innocent people?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Mehran Barati isn't an Iranian politician, Duwelon, he's an exile, a member of a Kurdish independence party. Remember Ahmad Chalabi? Kinda like that... His opinion is, uhh, not necessarily credible...

I was referring to Ahmadinajad, aka Iminajihad.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I apologize, Duwelon. I referred to Socio's link, above, wrt Barati's status- the source names him as an Iranian politician, and Socio followed thru on it in comments. Barati isn't an Iranian politician.

Socio's previous link is similar, in that it refers to Natanz as a weapons facility- it's just a Uranium enrichment facility, according to the IAEA. The now de-activated Rocky Flats facility near Denver was a weapons facility- they manufactured plutonium triggers for thermonuclear bombs...

Subtle mis-attributions lead to even greater ones, quite by intention. None of it is surprising, given the sources.