China prefers Trump to be re-elected

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

“Trump is a businessman. We can just pay him money and the problems will be solved,” said a politically connected person in Beijing, speaking on the condition of anonymity to talk frankly about sensitive international issues. “As long as we have money, we can buy him. That’s the reason why we prefer him to Democrats.”

Trump’s unfiltered tweets help China in negotiations because he is “easy to read,” said Long Yongtu, a former vice minister of foreign trade and China’s point man during its accession to the World Trade Organization in 2001, at a conference in Shenzhen this month. “We want Trump to be reelected; we would be glad to see that happen.”

Another influential voice in Beijing, Tsinghua University international relations professor Yan Xuetong, wrote recently that, thanks to Trump, China was facing “the best strategic opportunity” since the Cold War.

“Trump has undermined the U.S.-led alliance system, which has improved China's international environment,” Yan said in Southern Review.

Pretty incredible statements. Basically China thinks Trump is corrupt and easily bribed, that he's so incompetent at negotiations that his presence on our side gives them an advantage, and that he's undermined the US system of alliances which gives China a strategic advantage. In short the US' chief global rival loves that Trump is the president because he's a corrupt idiot and he's easy to play.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Cool. Some anonymous guy said....

you might want to look the word anonymous up in the dictionary because you clearly have no idea what it means.

"Long Yongtu, a former vice minister of foreign trade and China’s point man during its accession to the World Trade Organization in 2001"

"Tsinghua University international relations professor Yan Xuetong"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Cool. Some anonymous guy said....

So to be clear you expect people to talk on the record about a government's internal assessments of a political adversary? Really?

Also do you really doubt that China wants Trump to be re-elected? They have been rolling him continuously for the last three years, who is likely to succeed Trump that wouldn't be a better negotiator than he is?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So to be clear you expect people to talk on the record about a government's internal assessments of a political adversary? Really?

Also do you really doubt that China wants Trump to be re-elected? They have been rolling him continuously for the last three years, who is likely to succeed Trump that wouldn't be a better negotiator than he is?

I doubt it very much. The Chinese saying they want Trump isn't good for Trump which is why they do it.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

I could give two shits who other countries want as our POTUS.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I doubt it very much. The Chinese saying they want Trump isn't good for Trump which is why they do it.

I doubt it very little. After all this article is really just encapsulating what we already know.

With the current situation between our two countries can you name any potential president that would be less to China’s advantage than Trump?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
you might want to look the word anonymous up in the dictionary because you clearly have no idea what it means.

"Long Yongtu, a former vice minister of foreign trade and China’s point man during its accession to the World Trade Organization in 2001"

"Tsinghua University international relations professor Yan Xuetong"

Yeah you might also.

“Trump is a businessman. We can just pay him money and the problems will be solved,” said a politically connected person in Beijing, speaking on the condition of anonymity to talk frankly about sensitive international issues. “As long as we have money, we can buy him. That’s the reason why we prefer him to Democrats.”

The learning lesson for you is, the word anonymity is ACTUALLY USED in the article! Shall I highlight it for you?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Oh you too?

The learning lesson for you is, the word anonymity is ACTUALLY USED in the article! Shall I highlight it for you?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah you might also.

Uhmmmm you really might want to delete this and actually read the article. There are numerous named sources saying similar things.

Reactions: Meghan54

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Oh you too?

More than one paragraph to the article though...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I doubt it very little. After all this article is really just encapsulating what we already know.

With the current situation between our two countries can you name any potential president that would be less to China’s advantage than Trump?

So, uhh, your contention is that the Chinese support the President who started this trade war? Who is fucking some of their biggest companies over Iran sanctions? WTF?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah you might also.

and then the article continued to name two actual people, so three people are referenced and only one is anonymous.

you mention the one anonymous source and conveniently ignore the two named people, shall i highlight it for you?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, uhh, your contention is that the Chinese support the President who started this trade war? Who is fucking some of their biggest companies over Iran sanctions? WTF?

This is pretty much common sense, they view Trump has a much weaker negotiator than any other potential US president because he’s corrupt and because he is likely willing to cheaply concede long term US interests in areas China expected to pay dearly for.

I’m sure they don’t like the trade war but that’s where we already are. There’s no potential president on the US side that’s a weaker counterparty than Trump so of course they would prefer him.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
and then the article continued to name two actual people, so three people are referenced and only one is anonymous.

you mention the one anonymous source and conveniently ignore the two named people, shall i highlight it for you?

I mean the odds that he actually read the article before posting that are pretty low.

Reactions: Meghan54

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

uuhhh no. Thats not my contention. My contention is...I dont give two shits what other countries think of POTUS candidates.