China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
10 billion? I'm predicting 100+ billion.

That being said, apart from the possible destruction of the rainforest I see this as a good thing. Many jobs will be created and offshoot jobs and cities might be positively impacted as well.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well it is a Global forum I guess.

There will be more jobs created and the rainforest will eat it a bit, not like that isn't happening elsewhere I suppose.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
We'll see how well it works 20-30 years from now.

It must be nice to be a part of an economic system that isn't designed to suck all profit out of an industry Right. This. Second. and instead looks to the future.

Hooray FreeMarket™!

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Building rail is a good way to hedge against an unknown time period for peak oil in securing natural resources for the future. Especially with coal expected to last several hundred years, coal powered trains could once again be the dominant form of cross-continental shipping in the future.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Building rail is a good way to hedge against an unknown time period for peak oil in securing natural resources for the future. Especially with coal expected to last several hundred years, coal powered trains could once again be the dominant form of cross-continental shipping in the future.

Actually the railroads sole purpose is to supplement it's sea shipping as the Panama Canal gets to full capacity and ships continue to get bigger than it can support. Even the expansion of the Canal, supposed to be finished in mid 2016, and the larger "New Panamax" size limitations have already been far exceeded by container ships (among others). The ship unloads containers on the Pacific side, the railroad carries them to the Atlantic side and another ship picks them up (and vice versa of course). I'm sure they'd rather a new and improved bigger canal but this is far cheaper and once you have the initial rail laid it's infinitely easier to expand it's capacity than a canal. I'd bet that it's a metric shitload better environmentally too.

If I was Peru and Brazil I would jump on this Chinese money with the quickness before the Northwest Passage becomes more and more feasible and open longer throughout the year but their are other issues with that so who knows if it will ever be a feasible contender to the Canal.

Unlike us, China actually plans long term and understands that infrastructure investment pays for itself over the long term. The days of America doing awesome infrastructure programs like that are long gone, we can barely keep our existing infrastructure structurally sound.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
My bad to begin with, I meant Panama Canal , I think the oldness setting in from some things I say occasionally these days.

I'll fix that.

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

You're probably just joking, but here goes...

They were steam powered. They could burn coal, wood, oil, even alcohol; anything that can boil water into steam.

Are you seriously suggesting anyone wants to return to steam locomotive technology?

Steam punks, perhaps?

Last edited:

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
10 billion? I'm predicting 100+ billion.

That being said, apart from the possible destruction of the rainforest I see this as a good thing. Many jobs will be created and offshoot jobs and cities might be positively impacted as well.

I won't throw in an estimate (since I have no idea about the actual cost of building infrastructure), but I agree the cost will far exceed the estimate. Having recently traveled to China and having read quite a lot about their advancement and infrastructure building in the past two decades, I can't help but be impressed by how quickly they've managed to accomplish things compared to things here in the US. There's definitely a dark side to it as well, though. Absolutely rampant corruption (at every level) and the kickbacks are a big part of it. A total disregard for worker and overall project safety is another part of it. It almost makes the Big Dig look tame in comparison.

If China really wants the project, though, probably the only way it will be prevented is by them finally tightening their belts. It looks like the peak of their foreign investment spending has either been reached or will be reached very shortly.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
You're probably just joking, but here goes...

They were steam powered. They could burn coal, wood, oil, even alcohol; anything that can boil water into steam.

Are you seriously suggesting anyone wants to return to steam locomotive technology?

Steam punks, perhaps?

Never heard of synthetic fuels I take it?

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
If China really wants the project, though, probably the only way it will be prevented is by them finally tightening their belts. It looks like the peak of their foreign investment spending has either been reached or will be reached very shortly.

They are making gobs of money building bridges and roads in America, and their mining outfits in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.