China may ban live broadcasts during games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: Brigandier
Give it to England then, China is a hazard to the world's health.

The UK is also a hazard to the world's health.

Why?
Because he's an Indian with a major hard on for the Europeans and the British in particular.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
This thing is becoming a real f**king mess. Whoever approved China as a country for this should be hanged. Banning this maybe, already a polluted hole, etc.

The ex-president of the International Olympic Committee, Juan Antonio "Your Excellency" Samaranch, was determined to have the Olympics go to China before his reign was over.

If you check out page 56 of the 2008 Report of the IOC Evaluation Commission (PDF link), the only thing the IOC mentions in regards to regional politics is:

Political Structure

A clear explanation was given of the structure of national and regional government setting out the roles of autonomous regions and provinces. Beijing, as the capital city, has a higher status than a normal province. The Beijing Municipal Government provides state administration at local level. The political system is classed as ?working for China?.

There is strong central government control in all sectors. This could be expected to prevail in respect to an Olympic Games and associated developments and activities. National and local elections will take place in early 2003 and early 2008.

As a resident of the runner-up city, Toronto, I paid close attention and found the entire campaign ludicrously biased. There was simply no chance that Beijing would not be it in 2008. I'll be boycotting watching these Olympics.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it rather puzzling that the media broadcasters would not have included certain provisions in the agreements to pay billions for the broadcast rights. For example, if I was paying billions for the right to broadcast the olympics, you'd better believe I'd include provisions to make sure I could broadcast live and from wherever I want whenever I want. It will be interesting to see if China keeps going down this path of further tarnishing their image. They've been viewing this as a huge opportunity to show the world that they've matured and are ready to join the 'big boys' in the civilized world. All they are demonstrating is that they are still essentially a third world tyranny that happens to be making lots of money in world trade.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Since the Olympics have been so fraught with corruption, (reference the SLC games as evidence) I'm sure the reason China was allowed to have the games this year was strictly monetary. I have little doubt that someone's palm got crossed...very well.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I still don't know why China was picked, does it represent the ideals held up by the proper world or something?

someone from beijing slipped the head of the olympic selection committee a sh!tload of cash when no one was looking..

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Banning "Live Broadcast"?

What? Who the fsck cares? I'm not watching the damn thing live. I'm on Eastern Standard time, a live broadcast would be in the middle of the night.

If they China is going to censor the broadcast to delete protests etc, that's another matter. But as far as I can see, the article doesn't say censor.

Fern

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern

What? Who the fsck cares? I'm not watching the damn thing live. I'm on Eastern Standard time, a live broadcast would be in the middle of the night.

If they China is going to censor the broadcast to delete protests etc, that's another matter. But as far as I can see, the article doesn't say censor.

Fern
True, but can you think of any other reason why they would not want to allow "live" broadcasts if not to have some sort of censorship? Why else would China possibly want to not allow live broadcasts?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern
As with the superbowl or any other sport, sometimes people just like to watch it live. It gives more of a sense of being there. I won't defend further the virtues of live broadcast, but apparently a great many people give a large damn for it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
State department warning tourists about monitoring in their hotels
Americans traveling to China for the Olympic Games in August can expect their hotel rooms there to be monitored, the State Department warned on its website.
"All visitors should be aware that they have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public or private locations," according to the State Department site.

"All hotel rooms and offices are considered to be subject to on-site or remote technical monitoring at all times. Hotel rooms, residences and offices may be accessed at any time without the occupant's consent or knowledge," it said.
Is that legit?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Americans traveling to China for the Olympic Games in August can expect their hotel rooms there to be monitored, the State Department warned on its website.
"All visitors should be aware that they have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public or private locations," according to the State Department site.

"All hotel rooms and offices are considered to be subject to on-site or remote technical monitoring at all times. Hotel rooms, residences and offices may be accessed at any time without the occupant's consent or knowledge," it said.
Is that legit?
And that would be different from the US ... how? Warrantless wiretapping, secret searches without knowledge of the person who's property is being searched etc etc etc.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: tagej
Story

Wow, the Chinese government appears to really be panicking about this unrest. It didn't take much to remove the facade of the "new more open and friendly" China and show the true colors again. Funny thing is they really seem pretty clueless about the world of media and PR, they're making all the wrong moves. Unlike in China, they can't control the world media and just make the problem "go away".

Personally, I don't think China is ready to step up into the civilized world yet, they should not have been awarded the games.....

Maybe they could try to placate the tibetans by giving them the tainted food, toys, and pet food that were scheduled to be shipped to the US?
(oops broke my sarcasm meter BRB)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
in business as it is in politics, ruling with an iron fist brings with it the fear of retribution. to placate this fear, the fist must grip tighter and tighter thus creating that never ending loop of gripping ever tighter out of the mounting fear it produces. china's leaders have developed that scenario into an art form.

how that style of management plays out when the chinese try to control the media of the olympic games being broadcasted out of their country should provide a very interesting lesson for the chinese that are responsible for foreign relations and those that are responsible for controlling the dissemination of information (propaganda).

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I still don't know why China was picked, does it represent the ideals held up by the proper world or something?

yeah they torture just like the best of em....

We are such a fucking shinning example...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: tagej

Is that legit?
And that would be different from the US ... how? Warrantless wiretapping, secret searches without knowledge of the person who's property is being searched etc etc etc.
I think the scale of the problem is different and make no mistake, I think the warrantless wiretapping is bs.

The truth is, as brought up in another thread, that if the Olympics were in the US there are probably countries that would boycott it right now, too. Politics aside, though, the pollution more than anything else is a great reason not to have the olympics there. I was talking with a guy today who in 2006 when he went for a 5 mile run in Beijing said it felt like his lungs were on fire, similar to how when you're on the bike and a diesel truck goes by and you breath that crap in. He said he never saw the sun, just a filthy haze. Great backdrop for the olympics!