China getting x86 license?

parvadomus

Dec 11, 2012
Or is just VIA joining another company? Getting help from China goverment looks like they might want the license to replace their Loongson processors.
Link

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Interesting. I guess that we now know what will be powering all of those sub $250 PC's that Microsoft just offered $15 Windows 8.1 licenses for:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...-slash-windows-8.1-price-on-low-cost-devices/

For a sub $250 PC, even Intel's sub $50 Celeron and Atom chips are a stretch. Now, a mass produced $15 to $20 Chinese Via chip on the other hand... now you got parts for a $200 laptop with a little profit margin to spare.

Last edited:

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Interesting. I guess that we now know what will be powering all of those sub $250 PC's that Microsoft just offered $15 Windows 8.1 licenses for:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...-slash-windows-8.1-price-on-low-cost-devices/

For a sub $250 PC, even Intel's sub $50 Celeron and Atom chips are a stretch. Now, a mass produced $15 to $20 Chinese Via chip on the other hand... now you got parts for a $200 laptop with a little profit margin to spare.
And a helluva lot crappier product, to boot. Last I checked, VIA didn't have anything competitive, even with AMD.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Compete against what? They will be the only game in town once they roll out.
Even if this were true, the moment a competitor caught on, they'd be squashed.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at, but China isn't some sort of big secret that only VIA knows about. The industry as a whole is well aware of China and emerging markets.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Via Nano should be a solid base for them to work and develop "good enough" cheap CPUs, if this means VIA is going to have a lot of resources incoming,

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Current VIA x86 offerings aren't cheaper than Atom or Brazos, at least in the US.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Isn't VIA's x86 license tied to a specific FSB interface, which seriously limits what they can do? Or did I imagine that?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I'd imagine AMD would be an easier purchase at this point anyway if China really wants an x86 license.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
there should be wasting their time on making their own design better to ramp up production and flood the world market. a national processor from china will make the resources of intel look like some amateur project. they can dabble in x86 if they want but they need to use royalty free if they want to be able to make anything and not have any meddling from western companies.

how is x86 under patent anyways anymore? patents are for 20 years right?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
there should be wasting their time on making their own design better to ramp up production and flood the world market. a national processor from china will make the resources of intel look like some amateur project. they can dabble in x86 if they want but they need to use royalty free if they want to be able to make anything and not have any meddling from western companies.

Does the software baked into the design come under patent or copyright? And if instead it is a formal Trade Secret, it would not have a time limit.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Does the software baked into the design come under patent or copyright? And if instead it is a formal Trade Secret, it would not have a time limit.

throwing loop holes into patent law are they now

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The ISA isn't patented (and can't be). The implementation of instructions are. All patents related to the original Pentium have expired. So if you want to make a 32-bit x86 processor exactly the way the Pentium is implemented, there's nothing Intel can do about it. However if you want to do x86 -〉RISC translation the way Pentium Pro does it, then you'll have to wait until 2015 when all patents related to the Pentium Pro have expired.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
The ISA isn't patented (and can't be). The implementation of instructions are. All patents related to the original Pentium have expired. So if you want to make a 32-bit x86 processor exactly the way the Pentium is implemented, there's nothing Intel can do about it. However if you want to do x86 -〉RISC translation the way Pentium Pro does it, then you'll have to wait until 2015 when all patents related to the Pentium Pro have expired.

so everything for the x86 has a expiration date?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

The ISA could easily have been patented. Whether it was or not, I don't know. I would imagine it is or that some critical (related) portion of it is, otherwise people would be making x86 CPUs left and right. You can legally reverse engineer a trade secret so if it were only protected in that manner it would have been reverse engineered by now. It's copyright that does not allow the protection of ideas, only expression. I believe that's what you're getting at there. There is a special statutory copyright-like protection for lithographic masks which disallows copying on the layout level, at least in the US.

*none of this is legal advice

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The ISA could easily have been patented. Whether it was or not, I don't know.

Let's assume the x86 ISA was patented. That would have been back in 1978 for the 16-bit ISA and 1985 for the 32-bit ISA. Those patents would have expired already.

I would imagine it is or that some critical (related) portion of it is, otherwise people would be making x86 CPUs left and right.

Do you remember the mid-1990s? The players were Intel, AMD, IBM, Cyrix, Rise, NexGen, and IDT as I recall (perhaps there were others I'm missing). We're now down to Intel, AMD, and Via (Cyrix). The problem isn't just making a fast enough x86 chip, it's also getting people to buy the chip.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Let's assume the x86 ISA was patented. That would have been back in 1978 for the 16-bit ISA and 1985 for the 32-bit ISA. Those patents would have expired already.

But would anyone in their right mind want an x86 chip with no 64-bit support? With no SSE? Those are pretty fundamental these days- SSE was such a big improvement over x87 that many compilers automatically emit SSE instructions for scalar floating point, and anything compiled with those settings flat out wouldn't run on a "Pentium ISA" chip.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
It's the "extensions" to the x86 ISA where the licensing/royalties come into play
ie: sse, avx, x86_64, etc.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Yep, so easily encompassed by the statement "critical (related) portion." Like the article says though, the most powerful reason is likely the FTC deal and anti trust concerns after the AMD lawsuit