China bans kids from playing video games during the week

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Saw this on the news last night and looked it up for a link.

They're setting the limit at 3 hours/week, presumably one hour a day, Friday - Sunday.

I am interested in discussions on this.

How can they implement this? How would they know how much a kid plays a game? What would they do to force compliance? They evidently want kids to do more constructive things with their lives. What do you make of it?

Edit: Ah, I see it's for online games, so I suppose they can monitor it because of that. How about games not online?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Saw this on the news last night and looked it up for a link.

They're setting the limit at 3 hours/week, presumably one hour a day, Friday - Sunday.

I am interested in discussions on this.

How can they implement this? How would they know how much a kid plays a game? What would they do to force compliance? They evidently want kids to do more constructive things with their lives. What do you make of it?

Edit: Ah, I see it's for online games, so I suppose they can monitor it because of that. How about games not online?

Online games with unmonitored online communication.
Communication where youth are freely available to communicate with westerners from non communists countries.
The cultural threat is not gaming addiction.

Gaming regulators need to step up management and have “zero tolerance for online games that have deviated from the normal track,” according to a commentary on the China National Radio website on Saturday, calling games that “wantonly distort” history and historical figures “inferior” and a harmful form of cultural communication.

The commentary said some games could be give the wrong impression to players, most of whom are young.

The cultural threat is young Chinese being exposed to people from other countries and their ideas.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The cultural threat is not gaming addiction.

The cultural threat is young Chinese being exposed to people from other countries and their ideas.
The kids are not unlikely to see through this.

... why didn't they ban online games entirely if exposure to western culture/ideas is the reason? A taste will whet their appetites.