China balks at US Iraq plan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: Tabb
Uh? WTF? Why should we care what China says? They've helped out alot in situations in the Middle East and Africa.
rolleye.gif

Tabb

Read
this. Maybe it'll wake you up.

Point taken, but the situation with North Korea and Iraq are two differenent situations dont you agree?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

No resolution is going to get passed at the UN about Iraq.

Then we are truly screwed. Thanks to Bush and the people who support him.

More like thank france, who wants the UN to have complete control in Iraq.

What is wrong with having the UN having control of Iraq - specifically politically?

I see a far better chance of Iraqis getting to elect their own leaders and sooner under the UN than under the Bush Administration.

So why did we not take the offer france has put out?
You tell me - its because we don't want to hand over any political control because Bush is trying to make the UN irrelevent. That is why anything he proposes is the UN under an American Administation to show that the USA is above it. To me its just "Pax Americana" in progress - maybe someone else has a more feasable idea than me but I haven't seen anything else so I felt like saying my view

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
I dont see anyone crawling back the UN.
I do. It's pretty clear too. The Bush administration always acted like they could do this alone and I'm surprised that they couldn't. Going to the UN like this is an admission from the Bush administration that they can't handle Iraq by themselves.

Control

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Think November '04 when you read these news items.
If Bush fails in this foreign policy agenda then there will be no way he can enter a debate for reelection. Every thing a politition does always has the reelection devil on the shoulder wispering..
We can do the whole thing all by ourselves and will probably end up that way. If we do it then Bush will have something to point to. Fail for what ever reason or endure more problems that in any manner be linked to Bush will be... If a camel trips and puts a dent in an American Humvee... Bush hates animals and destroys military vehicle..

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: magomago

What is wrong with having the UN having control of Iraq - specifically politically?

I see a far better chance of Iraqis getting to elect their own leaders and sooner under the UN than under the Bush Administration.

Considering even under UN control, the US is going to be providing a large amount of the cash of reconstruction, why would we
want to funnel that cash to another organization. Yes, we have done all the heavy lifting to free iraq and the reconstruction money should be spent how we see fit.

Currently most citys in Iraq have already established local goverments and they are working on a new constitution. Looks like things are going pretty well politically without the aid of the UN.

You tell me - its because we don't want to hand over any political control because Bush is trying to make the UN irrelevent. That is why anything he proposes is the UN under an American Administation to show that the USA is above it. To me its just "Pax Americana" in progress - maybe someone else has a more feasable idea than me but I haven't seen anything else so I felt like saying my view

Lets see, the US has offered member countries the chance to aid in the rebuilding of iraq. France will veto any resolution unless the UN has complete control. You tell me who is being unreasonable.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
I dont see anyone crawling back the UN.
I do. It's pretty clear too. The Bush administration always acted like they could do this alone and I'm surprised that they couldn't. Going to the UN like this is an admission from the Bush administration that they can't handle Iraq by themselves.

Control

Yes, france seems to be after control.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

LOL this is ridiculous - it's the responsibility of France that Bush f*cked up in Iraq????

1)Bush wanted to invade Iraq - Bush said that the UN was irrelevant 6 months ago, Bush didn't want to listen to other security council members - Bush ridiculed France
2)Bush f*cked up in in Iraq and is in big sh*t now
3)Bush crawls back to the UN and needs the help from the same countries he ridiculed 6 months ago
4)France, Russia, Germany; China give Bush the middle finger --> big applause from Freegeeks

I use these simple sentences because just like Bush, international politics doesn't seem to be your strongest point

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: magomago

Considering even under UN control, the US is going to be providing a large amount of the cash of reconstruction, why would we
want to funnel that cash to another organization. Yes, we have done all the heavy lifting to free iraq and the reconstruction money should be spent how we see fit.

Currently most citys in Iraq have already established local goverments and they are working on a new constitution. Looks like things are going pretty well politically without the aid of the UN.

Lets see, the US has offered member countries the chance to aid in the rebuilding of iraq. France will veto any resolution unless the UN has complete control. You tell me who is being unreasonable.

LOL

with aid you mean we can spend our euro tax dollars to help clean up the mess created by Bush and his croonies. The funny thing is that Bush wants our money (and soldiers) but he wants an American who will decide what to do with our euros - and you say that France is unreasonable???

tell me Charrisson - let's say that every thing went right in Iraq. Do you think that Bush then would have made a "generous offer" to other countries to help rebuilding the country???

it's the all old thing

the USA bombs it
the UN rebuilds it
Europe pays for it

not this time buddy