Chilton vs Haynes Auto Repair Manuals

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
Which one is better? I need to pick a manual up for my Nissan Stanza that my uncle gave me...

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I like the Haynes' ones a little better but neither one is great. The best option is to get one of the factory service manuals, but they're expensive ($100+).

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Haynes seems like it has more related pictures. Chilton's has some font that I can't stand. I own both for my car, and I end up using both and still end up guessing on some steps.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Mechanic = Chilton
Average person = Haynes

Chilton assumes you know what your doing. Haynes gives you plenty of pics, description of parts, and a sequenced breakdown.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
If theres any used bookstores in your area check them out. I got my chiltons for less than 5 bucks. I got a factory service manual for 15.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
I like the Haynes' ones a little better but neither one is great. The best option is to get one of the factory service manuals, but they're expensive ($100+).
I agree... Haynes is better than Chiltons. In my case, I find Haynes to just be more accurate.

The factory service manual set is probably the best investment I've ever made. Seriously.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
It depends.

They both cover multiple models and pictures don't cover every configuration.

You have to look through both and pick the one that have more pictures that covers the model and configuation that you have.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This sums up Chiltons manuals............................

"Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly"

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I actually prefer real shop manuals. You can find them on ebay, more expensive but worth it IMHO.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Hey my last car was a 92 Grey Stanza XE. It had some balls for a 4 cyl and some piss poor gas milage to boot. Your probably going to find that alot of the bolts, nuts, etc are VERY tight make sure u don't break some and watch your timing CHAIN mine broke after 2 weeks @ around 135K and killed my engine luckily a junk yard had a one for $400.

P.S.
SELL SELL SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
They both suck.

I can give you better directions on how to change a head gasket:

1. Remove belts.
2. Remove pulley.
3. Remove distributor, timing covers.
4. Remove intake manifold.
5. Remove head.
6. Replace gasket, install in reverse order.

That's pretty much sums up the Chilton / Haynes repair manuals.

Get a factory service manual if you do any work on your car.

puffpio

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
factory service manual!!! every once in a while you can get them on ebay on a cd full of pdf's of them

civad

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
I have been using Haynes for my car for the past year or so. They seem to be pretty good.
No idea about the chiltons though

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: blahblah99
They both suck.

I can give you better directions on how to change a head gasket:

1. Remove belts.
2. Remove pulley.
3. Remove distributor, timing covers.
4. Remove intake manifold.
5. Remove head.
6. Replace gasket, install in reverse order.

That's pretty much sums up the Chilton / Haynes repair manuals.

Get a factory service manual if you do any work on your car.

I have done a lot of work on my cars...if you are going to use Chiltons and Haynes together you should get a good description of most maintenance and repair items. The FSM's are much better for interior work, torque specs, and 'warnings'....many fasteners are recommended one use only, the haynes and chilton's did not mention these. However the FSM's are usually pretty picture less and a lot of people can't envision a 2D drawing into a 3D situation.

Your goal of a RB swap in a 240 is a pretty much easy one. The engines drop right in. You can get a better fit with a new crossmember designed to get the engine down and back....it's a good swap, however most would be better off with just adding a turbo or even NOS to a KAT. I have a new site up for the last two weeks I am working on that may cover these things.

http://30moons.com/Nissan240SXIndex.php the name will more than likely change and worst case become a top level link.

Good luck with that.

Å