Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/13/doll.study/index.html?hpt=C2

ac.doll.part1.cnn.640x360.jpg

-CNN commissioned study on children's racial beliefs, attitudes and preferences

-Study shows black and white children are biased toward lighter skin

-Test aimed to re-create landmark Doll Test from 1940s

-Study also showed children's ideas on race change little between ages 5 and 10

A year after Obama gets elected black 5yr olds still have a preference towards lighter skin color. :eek:
This is also 60 yrs after schools were were desegregated by the landmark Brown v. Board of Education ruling.

Generations have passed since the Civil Rights movement ~50years ago.

what else do we have to do change this?

Last edited:

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
"CNN is dumb as shit."

The end.

If we don't teach our kids race, then they won't need to discriminate. If we don't feed them a bunch of bullshit at a young age and teach them to not give a fuck what someone looks like and focus on who they are (IE separate the morons from the competent ones) then we'll never grow out of this "racist society that we live in".

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Why do we have to change anything?

I thought we were supposed to be color blind? We have enough wiggers running around wanting to be black, so obviously their is a bias there.

Every commercial on TV the black guys are the smart ones, the white ones are the idiots. Most sports figures are idolized and most of them are black.
The president is black.

What is wrong with people just being people instead of this social engineering we seem to think is a good idea?

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
When you make laws that cater to any race, you are promoting racism. When you point it out glaringly with "OMG IM <insert color/race here>" on a daily basis, you are promoting racism. When you are "proud" of your color, you are promoting racism.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
In the animal kingdom a mother will sometimes reject one or more of her litter because it doesn't look right to her. This discrimination is instinctual.

The PC crowd will insist that when humans make value judgments based on appearances that it is a learned behavior and therefore racist. This doesn't make it right, it just means that we are splitting hairs over the opinions of children that might be part of our DNA programming.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
In the animal kingdom a mother will sometimes reject one or more of her litter because it doesn't look right to her. This discrimination is instinctual.

The PC crowd will insist that when humans make value judgments based on appearances that it is a learned behavior and therefore racist. This doesn't make it right, it just means that we are splitting hairs over the opinions of children that might be part of our DNA programming.
But but but... all values are a result of some social construct. Can I defend that assertion? Of course not. Why would I have to? It's obvious on its face isn't it? (no pun intended :D)

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
All humans show a built in bias in picking toys, pets, clothes, etc; they pick multi-colored or lighter shades. But while most women will own a little black dress, almost none own one in skin tone.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
As another POV, the same is the same in S America and SE Asia. Lighter skin is considered more beautiful, and in fact, skin lightening cream is big business there. So this isnt just an American POV.

May 11, 2008
As another POV, the same is the same in S America and SE Asia. Lighter skin is considered more beautiful, and in fact, skin lightening cream is big business there. So this isnt just an American POV.

And then there all those crazy white people that are baking in the sun or paint their skin brown or take pills to be more brown everyday because brown skin makes you look healthy... :D:D:D

No serious. It is all about contrast. For example if you take a black colorful doll, you would be surprised what the result will be. Take a black doll with bright green or grey or blue eyes and blondish hair. Make a doll that looks like this singer :

In real life :
Leona-Lewis.jpg

And a bit of retouch :
LeonaLewis-Run.png

I wonder what those kids would choose...

Besides women like this are the most beautiful. She got the best deal from all sides.

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Could even be that everyone just doesn't like minorities and blacks, even though they are part of it, don't like them as much.

May 11, 2008
Could even be that everyone just doesn't like minorities and blacks, even though they are part of it, don't like them as much.

That would be kind of a simple thought. But perhaps humans all over the world need a small genetic change. When people no longer make first impressions but question someones character first, people will look a little further. It is action and reaction in duplex.

Women looking like this young lady are a minority too. Too bad, so very sad...

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I can't believe this is news to anybody... Studies have shown for a long time that black parents favor lighter skinned kids, etc. The same thing happens among Indians, and I bet most other cultures.

BTW OP, note that Barack Obama is a light skinned half black, half white man.

Last edited:

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
This is just my opinion but I think this study may have more to do with attractiveness than race necessarily. Extremely dark skin is unattractive to many people in the same way big ears or an asymmetric face is. And it is in our nature to tend to associate better things with more attractive people. I just saw the vid and the kids didn't necessarily pick the whitest kid, they chose one who had light brown skin or tanned skin, which seems to be in the sweet spot for how we judge attractiveness.

May 11, 2008
This is just my opinion but I think this study may have more to do with attractiveness than race necessarily. Extremely dark skin is unattractive to many people in the same way big ears or an asymmetric face is. And it is in our nature to tend to associate better things with more attractive people. I just saw the vid and the kids didn't necessarily pick the whitest kid, they chose one who had light brown skin or tanned skin, which seems to be in the sweet spot for how we judge attractiveness.

You are very right.
When someone has pale white skin, fair blond hair, light blue eyes blond eyebrows, no lips or at least not red; that person is in general also seen as less attractive when compared to somebody with white skin/ light brown, blond/brown hair, dark eyebrows, deep blue/green /grey eyes, and full red lips. In my opinion , it is all about contrast in colors. When the contrast in colors have some sort of right ratio, it is seen as attractive. Perhaps the number 1.618 can be found again ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

It seems to be in the proportion of the face as well.

http://www.intmath.com/Numbers/mathOfBeauty.php

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
You are very right.
When someone has pale white skin, fair blond hair, light blue eyes blond eyebrows, no lips or at least not red; that person is in general also seen as less attractive when compared to somebody with white skin/ light brown, blond/brown hair, dark eyebrows, deep blue/green /grey eyes, and full red lips. In my opinion , it is all about contrast in colors. When the contrast in colors have some sort of right ratio, it is seen as attractive. Perhaps the number 1.618 can be found again ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

It seems to be in the proportion of the face as well.

http://www.intmath.com/Numbers/mathOfBeauty.php

pretty sure most of that is bullshit.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Interesting point in that the researcher coded that choice as "white" rather than as a light-skinned black or a Latino, etc. That falls in line with my natural skepticism of a "pilot study" which claims conclusive results. Hey, at least we can save the cost of a full-on scientific study since the pilot study produced conclusive results, right?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Interesting point in that the researcher coded that choice as "white" rather than as a light-skinned black or a Latino, etc. That falls in line with my natural skepticism of a "pilot study" which claims conclusive results. Hey, at least we can save the cost of a full-on scientific study since the pilot study produced conclusive results, right?

Yes - and as well all know - CNN is a well respected scientific research institute. Frankly I don't think a news reporting agency should be comissioning 'scientific studies'. It seems more like making news that reporting on news

Last edited: