Child brides in the US? Why is that allowed?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Last edited by a moderator:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Wow, that is disgusting and absolutely crazy. I have to assume that some judge or something has to sign off on this? Who the fuck allows an 11 year old to get married?!?!

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
can one really be a bride without consent in the US? She can say no, she can call the police or what ever version of child protection service in their state. some shitty laws may allow it if the parents sign off and the people that want to be married want it; but if one of the people getting married doesn't want it, you should look more at the person that did the marrying. Because it doesn't sound like it was done legally.

Watching the video it seems as both parties for the first wanted it and parents allowed it. The woman that was forced to marry her rapist was shitty parents trying to make it look ok for the family. Given the time, there probably wasn't much she could do for help if the community wouldn't stand up to help her. This is the fault of the parents. people are shitty, even moms. (sounded like both cases were their mothers)

Oh, and the US isn't "just waking up to the problem" this is a know problem within cults where it is often forced. these places get raided from time to time when the feds get evidence. which isn't easy. I notice they only found two people to do this story on. while i don't doubt there are more examples, it seems very week to make the claims they made. Seems like they want to run this to try and draw attention away from how bad it is else where. probably doesn't matter if the mentioned countries banned it, do you really think it's stopping the practice? They're also glossing over the fact that the vast majority of the ones in the mentioned countries, and many others, are forced, arranged marriages.

Don't get me wrong, i don't agree with it, but laws preventing this wouldn't stop these same parents from allowing/forcing the relation ship married or not. they are only forcing their kids to do what will get them(their parents) what they want. I know too well how shitty parents can be, laws be-damned.

Nov 8, 2012
Wait, how does that work?

Fucking children is illegal.... even if they consent, the state has deemed that they aren't able to consent until they are 16/17/18 (depending on the state)... So if you marry a 13 year old and then have sex with your wife... you would effectively be committing a crime.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Wait, how does that work?

Fucking children is illegal.... even if they consent, the state has deemed that they aren't able to consent until they are 16/17/18 (depending on the state)... So if you marry a 13 year old and then have sex with your wife... you would effectively be committing a crime.
they put marriage exemptions in statutory rape laws

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
can one really be a bride without consent in the US? She can say no, she can call the police or what ever version of child protection service in their state. some shitty laws may allow it if the parents sign off and the people that want to be married want it; but if one of the people getting married doesn't want it, you should look more at the person that did the marrying. Because it doesn't sound like it was done legally.

This is the problem with child brides in a lot of countries. The pressure from the parents and the community can be so strong that the child doesn't dare say no, or is even told that refusing would be bad. And even if a child that young has a crush on an older person it shouldn't be legal for them to marry, let alone have sex.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Watching the video it seems as both parties for the first wanted it and parents allowed it. The woman that was forced to marry her rapist was shitty parents trying to make it look ok for the family. Given the time, there probably wasn't much she could do for help if the community wouldn't stand up to help her. This is the fault of the parents. people are shitty, even moms. (sounded like both cases were their mothers)

The 11 year old was granted a marriage certificate. It's not like you can just roll up to a priest or justice of the peace and have him say some magic words and bam you are married. You quite literally need "permission" from the state to get married. As far as the children wanting it that is BS too. How does an 11 year old make the decision to get married? Even if they did somehow "want" it they aren't anywhere near mature enough to make that kind of decision which is why we are supposed to have laws to protect them. Same reason we have statutory rape laws because adults can easily manipulate children into doing things and that influence increases exponentially when the adults are the childs parents. Seriously, how the hell have we deemed that the very same child, regardless of parental consent, can not consent to have sex with the man. Yet the child can legally freaking marry the guy and then he can legally bang her all he wants.

Oh, and the US isn't "just waking up to the problem" this is a know problem within cults where it is often forced. these places get raided from time to time when the feds get evidence. which isn't easy. I notice they only found two people to do this story on. while i don't doubt there are more examples, it seems very week to make the claims they made. Seems like they want to run this to try and draw attention away from how bad it is else where. probably doesn't matter if the mentioned countries banned it, do you really think it's stopping the practice? They're also glossing over the fact that the vast majority of the ones in the mentioned countries, and many others, are forced, arranged marriages.

Don't get me wrong, i don't agree with it, but laws preventing this wouldn't stop these same parents from allowing/forcing the relation ship married or not. they are only forcing their kids to do what will get them(their parents) what they want. I know too well how shitty parents can be, laws be-damned.

Umm, maybe they are running this to draw attention to the very real problem that we currently have in the US and how we are being hypocritical when we talk about other countries who allow the same thing that we do. Sure the problem isn't as bad here as it is in many other countries but it's still a pretty damn serious problem. We are supposed to protect our children and in this case we are failing some kids horribly in a way that should have been stopped very long ago. I can maybe see allowing 16+ year olds to marry with parental consent but I'm not completely convinced that we should even allow that. I don't see why they can't wait two more years to marry.

Just in case I haven't been 100% clear, this is a loophole in our legal system that allows adults to legally rape children.

Reactions: Aegeon

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41727495

If even third world countries are taking actions to prevent child brides, why is the US still allowing this practice?
How can it be that an 11-year old is forced to marry her rapist, and that no one blinks an eye when she gets several kids before she's even 16?

Info per state:
http://www.tahirih.org/wp-content/u...ge-Requirements-Statutory-Compilation-PDF.pdf
I didn't even know that a girl young as 11 y/o could get marriage in the US.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
The 11 year old was granted a marriage certificate. It's not like you can just roll up to a priest or justice of the peace and have him say some magic words and bam you are married. You quite literally need "permission" from the state to get married. As far as the children wanting it that is BS too. How does an 11 year old make the decision to get married? Even if they did somehow "want" it they aren't anywhere near mature enough to make that kind of decision which is why we are supposed to have laws to protect them. Same reason we have statutory rape laws because adults can easily manipulate children into doing things and that influence increases exponentially when the adults are the childs parents. Seriously, how the hell have we deemed that the very same child, regardless of parental consent, can not consent to have sex with the man. Yet the child can legally freaking marry the guy and then he can legally bang her all he wants.

Yea, i know a license/permit from the state is required and the laws allowing this for such young people or no age limit are there and an issue. which was part of my point. But in some religious groups you can get married with no regard to the state/federal law. tax wise ore legal, it's still done by their religious leaders and viewed as such by their groups. As for an 11 year old not being mature enough, that was never in question. i agree they're not mature enough. As for the wanting to part, yea some do. I remember 2 different couples when i was going through school that were eagerly waiting until they turned 16 to get married.(i remember only one set of the 4 sets of parents that were fine with it) In NC, with parents written consent, that was legal then. May still be. It's a shitty idea, but yea, they wanted to. And i'm not saying, in the case of the BBC story, the 11 year old wasn't pushed by her parents. That's very likely as it sounded a lot like her mother didn't give a shit when the abuse started. I'm also not saying there shouldn't be an age restriction.

Umm, maybe they are running this to draw attention to the very real problem that we currently have in the US and how we are being hypocritical when we talk about other countries who allow the same thing that we do. Sure the problem isn't as bad here as it is in many other countries but it's still a pretty damn serious problem. We are supposed to protect our children and in this case we are failing some kids horribly in a way that should have been stopped very long ago. I can maybe see allowing 16+ year olds to marry with parental consent but I'm not completely convinced that we should even allow that. I don't see why they can't wait two more years to marry.

Just in case I haven't been 100% clear, this is a loophole in our legal system that allows adults to legally rape children.

If they want to draw attention to it, they need to start in their own country and many around theirs instead of coming here. Laws against it or not, it's happening there. While it may not be widely know or believed in the US, it happens. and again, in every one of these cases, you should look at the person that granted them the license/permit and performed the ritual. I basically said this in my post. While it may have sounded like i meant their parents, i meant what ever person granted it and performed the ritual. I think i was clear about trashing the parents separately, but maybe not.

I can agree it is a loophole and should be dealt with in the remaining states. To add to why i didn't like that shitty BBC story, if they really wanted to bring attention to it, it would/should have involved a lot more research and attempts to speaking to some of the officials in the areas this has happened. It feels far to much like a fluff piece meant to point you away from something else without any sense that they really give a shit.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yea, i know a license/permit from the state is required and the laws allowing this for such young people or no age limit are there and an issue. which was part of my point. But in some religious groups you can get married with no regard to the state/federal law. tax wise ore legal, it's still done by their religious leaders and viewed as such by their groups. As for an 11 year old not being mature enough, that was never in question. i agree they're not mature enough. As for the wanting to part, yea some do. I remember 2 different couples when i was going through school that were eagerly waiting until they turned 16 to get married.(i remember only one set of the 4 sets of parents that were fine with it) In NC, with parents written consent, that was legal then. May still be. It's a shitty idea, but yea, they wanted to. And i'm not saying, in the case of the BBC story, the 11 year old wasn't pushed by her parents. That's very likely as it sounded a lot like her mother didn't give a shit when the abuse started. I'm also not saying there shouldn't be an age restriction.

Who cares if certain religions will marry you without regards to state/federal law? In those cases it would still be statutory rape and the rapist asshole can be charged and serve a very lengthy jail sentence.

If they want to draw attention to it, they need to start in their own country and many around theirs instead of coming here. Laws against it or not, it's happening there. While it may not be widely know or believed in the US, it happens. and again, in every one of these cases, you should look at the person that granted them the license/permit and performed the ritual. I basically said this in my post. While it may have sounded like i meant their parents, i meant what ever person granted it and performed the ritual. I think i was clear about trashing the parents separately, but maybe not.

I can agree it is a loophole and should be dealt with in the remaining states. To add to why i didn't like that shitty BBC story, if they really wanted to bring attention to it, it would/should have involved a lot more research and attempts to speaking to some of the officials in the areas this has happened. It feels far to much like a fluff piece meant to point you away from something else without any sense that they really give a shit.

Does England have a similar issue with it being legal for 11 year olds to marry adults otherwise exactly whose country are you referring to? Besides, what more research needs to be done other than "It's legal for 11 year olds to marry adults in certain/most states in the United States and then it's legal for that adult to bang the 11 year old and knock her up half a dozen times before she is legally an adult"? Hell they could have had one paragraph and the headline "Loophole allows dirty old men to legally fuck kids as young as 11". What more would you have liked to see in the article? I'd wager that a ton of the kids that were married off have been severely indoctrinated/stockholmed so getting interviews was probably really hard.

Feb 4, 2009
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe any state allows 11 year olds to be married.

Full disclosure, I did not read the link

Reactions: OutHouse
Nov 25, 2013
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe any state allows 11 year olds to be married.

Full disclosure, I did not read the link

What Wiki says:

"The age of marriage in the United States is 18, with the exception of Nebraska (19) and Mississippi (21). Every state allows exceptions to their age of marriage. Most states allow marriage at 16 and 17 with parental consent, and some states also make exceptions subject to judicial approval, or cases of pregnancy. When all exceptions are taken into account, 25 US states[4] have no minimum age requirement.[5] Twenty-five of the jurisdictions have a minimum age in these cases, the youngest being 13 (New Hampshire, females only).[6][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
Who cares if certain religions will marry you without regards to state/federal law? In those cases it would still be statutory rape and the rapist asshole can be charged and serve a very lengthy jail sentence.

Does England have a similar issue with it being legal for 11 year olds to marry adults otherwise exactly whose country are you referring to? Besides, what more research needs to be done other than "It's legal for 11 year olds to marry adults in certain/most states in the United States and then it's legal for that adult to bang the 11 year old and knock her up half a dozen times before she is legally an adult"? Hell they could have had one paragraph and the headline "Loophole allows dirty old men to legally fuck kids as young as 11". What more would you have liked to see in the article? I'd wager that a ton of the kids that were married off have been severely indoctrinated/stockholmed so getting interviews was probably really hard.

Who cares if some religions will marry them regardless of the law?? I do. We both agree they should be prosecuted. But like i said in my first post and like you seem to agree with at the end of this post, they're likely indoctrinated or feel they have no way out. So interviews and police reports don't happen often. As for what i'd like to see in their "story" is a hard push to interview the people that married the 11 year old girl. The person that approved the license. The other woman is old enough that those people may not be around still. I want to say through their names out into the public, but in the case of the 11 year old, she even said she wanted to get married then. It's still stupid it was possible to do legally. Worse that her parents allowed it to happen. As for England having issues, yea they have issues. it may or may not be legal, but they have issues. And i understand you want to argue about some places it's legal and others it isn't legal. To me i don't care about legality as much when i know it's happening regardless of the law.

To throw it out there, i feel like such a weak, short story is simply to try and get people to look away from the "refugee" issue Europe is having along with the rise in crime related to them. Sense this thread got moved to P&N, i'm pretty sure this will piss some people off. call me names if you want, but can you really deny the issues they're having?

My point being, legal or illegal, it's happening in many places. much higher in others. You can make the argument that the BBC wanted to point to us and say, "you have these shitty problems, why talk about other countries?" I can agree with that. I really don't think we should be involved with meddling with other countries. we have far too many internal issues that need to be resolved. But i think the BBC is just being lazy or deceptive with this "story".

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Interesting world historical perspective regarding age of consent for those who may be interested.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/cyh/primary-sources/24
I don't think that's accurate WRT the states. I'm in Tennessee and I've seen many girls marry before age 18. That might be the age without the parents signing off. My ex's best friend married in middle school. My ex's mother asked the friend's mother "don't you think she's a little young to get married?" The woman's response: "Young? She's 14." (As if she had barely staved off being an old maid.) Defense lawyers can also tell you that if caught nailing an underage girl, convincing her family to let you marry her is the only sure way to avoid a prison sentence.

Still it's rather disturbing that the Beeb has a whole series slamming America, especially when it's on issues where our problem is a fraction of that in many other nations.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Who cares if some religions will marry them regardless of the law?? I do. We both agree they should be prosecuted. But like i said in my first post and like you seem to agree with at the end of this post, they're likely indoctrinated or feel they have no way out. So interviews and police reports don't happen often. As for what i'd like to see in their "story" is a hard push to interview the people that married the 11 year old girl. The person that approved the license. The other woman is old enough that those people may not be around still. I want to say through their names out into the public, but in the case of the 11 year old, she even said she wanted to get married then. It's still stupid it was possible to do legally. Worse that her parents allowed it to happen. As for England having issues, yea they have issues. it may or may not be legal, but they have issues. And i understand you want to argue about some places it's legal and others it isn't legal. To me i don't care about legality as much when i know it's happening regardless of the law.

If religious crazies are going to fuck kids they will find a way to "legitimize" it within their religious crazy group so I don't really see the difference but fine, make it illegal for ordained people to hold any marriage ceremony involving kids. As long as it doesn't go too far and start locking up people involved in legitimate kids just playing.

To throw it out there, i feel like such a weak, short story is simply to try and get people to look away from the "refugee" issue Europe is having along with the rise in crime related to them. Sense this thread got moved to P&N, i'm pretty sure this will piss some people off. call me names if you want, but can you really deny the issues they're having?

My point being, legal or illegal, it's happening in many places. much higher in others. You can make the argument that the BBC wanted to point to us and say, "you have these shitty problems, why talk about other countries?" I can agree with that. I really don't think we should be involved with meddling with other countries. we have far too many internal issues that need to be resolved. But i think the BBC is just being lazy or deceptive with this "story".

Really, you think that this story will, all by its lonesome, get people to look away from the "refugee" issue that Europe is having? So do all bad stories about the US have this effect or just this one?

And I like to think that they pointed out a serious issue that we have in the states that is very easily fixed.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
I don't think that's accurate WRT the states. I'm in Tennessee and I've seen many girls marry before age 18. That might be the age without the parents signing off. My ex's best friend married in middle school. My ex's mother asked the friend's mother "don't you think she's a little young to get married?" The woman's response: "Young? She's 14." (As if she had barely staved off being an old maid.) Defense lawyers can also tell you that if caught nailing an underage girl, convincing her family to let you marry her is the only sure way to avoid a prison sentence.

Still it's rather disturbing that the Beeb has a whole series slamming America, especially when it's on issues where our problem is a fraction of that in many other nations.

Ah yes, it's disturbing that the BBC illuminated the issue of child "marriage" in America.

Rather than, y'know, the issue itself.

Reactions: jman19

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Last I heard, the age of consent is 14 in a good portion of the EU. Not sure why they are acting like this is only an issue in the US. But it is an issue to be sure.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Disgusting Muslim based countries and their despicable ways!!

Oh, this is in the US? Well that's different, marriage is sacrosanct.

Reactions: Aegeon