Chief Justice Robert's Formal Rebuke of Trump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Is being a Saudi bitch and President legal? Food for thought for Roberts.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
WHAT people are missing in all of this is.....
That Trump DOES BELIEVE justices should be political AND their rulings in line with how their appointed president thinks.
WOW! Simply WTF, WOW, I say.
Do people not realize what this Donald Trump actually is?
That Trump wants to control the press AND punish journalist that he dislikes.
Exactly as Putin and Kim Jong Un practice.

That Trump insists on an AG that does only his bidding, regardless of law of legality with doing.
That Trump wants an FBI and CIA that is total loyal to Donald Trump. PERIOD!
That Donald Trump insists on a US Supreme Court that is completely in alliance with the mind set of Donald Trump. As if the court MUST FIRST check with Donald Trump before handing down any ruling.

And I wonder..... HOW THE HELL can people "vote" for this guy????
Rally around this guy????
Support this guy????
Are People not concerned with what this guy Donald Trump believes and is trying to do????

Well... all I can say to "those people" is maybe you live in the wrong country? Ya think???
Maybe, the Soviet Union or North Korea would better suit your style.
I mean, you "could" always start your own little caravan thingy heading to N.K. or over to Putin land.
I hear caravans are quite popular these days.
I say go ahead Trump people. Take a chance. Give it a try.
After all, isn't that what you really want in a leader and in a country? ;)

Jul 9, 2009
Fuck Obutthole and fuck his lickspittle sycophants that act as if he never criticized the Courts.

"With all due deference to separation of powers, last week the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests — including foreign corporations — to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said.
"I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and I’d urge Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps correct some of these problems," he said.
Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, who ruled in the majority, shook his head during Obama's remarks, and appeared to be mouthing "not true."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ith-chief-justice-roberts-dont-recall-roberts

Justice Alito never attended another Obutthole SOTU.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/28/alito.obama.sotu/index.html

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
There are definitely conservative and liberal judges... But as part of the judicial branch their polarization doesn't always line up with conservatives and liberals in the legislative or executive branches.

In this case, Roberts is likely pulling a "I can insult my dad, but you can't insult my dad" move; regardless of ideology, members of the judiciary will rally to defend one of their own from attack from another branch.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Now the Annoying Orange Anus is taking a shit on Roberts and the courts? This ought to endear him to them when he's marched in front of them once his criminal enterprises are taken down.

As far as Obama or Trump judges, just because a President appoints a justice it doesn't mean that they will always politically align with them. Once appointed, they can do whatever they want within the limits of their office. Some may remain true 'to the cause' and issue decisions that reflect that while others will go their own way. Do some judges have political/religious leanings that affect their rulings? There's no doubt about it, some people can't separate their personal beliefs from the rulings they make from the bench. That's why we have an appeals court. On top of that, the Supreme Court for the final say on a matter.

Hair Furor is just being a whiny little bitch, as usual.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Can't wait for Kavanaugh and Whitaker to show their true colors the moment Trump calls his markers in. It would be a crowning moment when Trump can truly say he made his mark in history by crushing the rule of law into dust thus attaining what Nixon never could: Creating a shadow dictatorship for himself aided and abetted by a confederation of "former" congressional sycophants who gave up their power of checks and balances in fealty to Trump.

When Trump said he wanted to MAGA, none of his supporters asked him who he wanted to make America great for. Well I guess he's answered that question without any doubt and it sure ain't about making America great for the working class and poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Fuck Obutthole and fuck his lickspittle sycophants that act as if he never criticized the Courts.

"With all due deference to separation of powers, last week the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests — including foreign corporations — to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said.
"I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and I’d urge Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps correct some of these problems," he said.
Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, who ruled in the majority, shook his head during Obama's remarks, and appeared to be mouthing "not true."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ith-chief-justice-roberts-dont-recall-roberts

Not even CLOSE to the same thing. Sorry, do not pass go.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Can you appreciate a difference between these remarks and Trump's? From where I'm standing the gap is quite staggering.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

At least Obama paid deference to the separation of powers.

Trump wants everyone to kneel before his magnificence. 1542895891199.gif

Justice Alito never attended another Obama SOTU ?

Really? You think that BEING DEAD might have played a factor in his decision? 1542896068433.gif

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Getting into a public spat with a guy you can't fire who could, quite literally, hold your entire future in his hands is certainly a choice Trump could make.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Trump claims he is trying to keep the country safe, but what is really the greater danger to our country? A few immigrants or a President who thinks he's above the law?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Hey, if you didn't notice, there's one vital difference that invalidates everything you just said: Obama's objection was only to the consequences of the decision. He still respected the decision, even if he disagreed with it (which is perfectly fine for a President). Trump's beef wasn't just with the decision, it was with the judge in question -- that if he could only have rigged the court system with a sympathetic judge, he'd have obtained what he wanted.

Also, it's fascinating that you don't click at all with Obama's entirely accurate statement. Then again, we know you love corruption, just so long as that corruption is Republican.

You're such a traitor to your country's values.

Reactions: Meghan54

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I'm going to have to disagree with Roberts here. I think we do have Democrat and Republican judges. Mitch didn't sit on Garland's nomination for over a year for an impartial judge. Garland WAS an impartial judge. But republicans didn't want that. They wanted a Republican judge. Judges that would bless and rubber stamp their unconstitutional laws for the sake of advancing their minority rule.

And now Democrats would have to do the same just to break even. If Dems only nominated moderates while they hold power while Repubs nominated nothing but ultra partisan hacks while they hold power then the courts would inevitably always lean more right then left.

I agree with you in spirit, although I disagree with your example, at least in part. Granted, it's still early to pass judgement on Kavanaugh even though I have a bad feeling that he's likely to be incredibly partisan, but Gorsuch has been great so far. He has his own originalist philosophy and has been pretty consistent in its application. He's about an order of magnitude more outspoken than your typical new justice and prolific in writing opinions, and from what I can tell perfectly willing to break with the conservative wing when they obviously err (eg. Sessions v Dimaya). Whether or not you agree with his judicial philosophy, it seems clear enough that he's not a "rubber stamp" kind of guy.

That said, I don't doubt that Trump prefers to appoint rubber stampers, so maybe we got lucky this once that a relatively non-partisan (if strongly willed and opinionated) judge slipped through the cracks.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Roberts is the key maker, and the gatekeeper.

It would be such a wonderful day, if Roberts would find Trump in contempt of court, and ordered him jailed until he clears himself of the contempt. Secret Service could watch his jail cell.

Roberts could make Donny his little bitch any time he chooses to, the problem is he simply has too much integrity to do it.

And it would be a totally appropriate action, since Donny has shown nothing but contempt for the judiciary since he was placed in office.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Meanwhile what Obama said has come true. His statements focused on Congress to change the law.

You attempting to equate the two just show how much you share a brain with Trump. Not a compliment.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is nothing this POTUS cannot sully. I understand Roberts' indignation.

Jan 25, 2011
Trump claims he is trying to keep the country safe, but what is really the greater danger to our country? A few immigrants or a President who thinks he's above the law?
Well. Which one’s brown cause... that one.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
You know with the high likelihood that Trump is going to have some significant criminal and civil matters in front of SCOTUS before 2020, antagonizing the Chief Justice must be some of that 4 dimensional strategery that Trump is so well known for.

Or he’s just an egomaniacal idiot who couldn’t back down to save his life.

But I’m sure it’s the 4D thing.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
You know with the high likelihood that Trump is going to have some significant criminal and civil matters in front of SCOTUS before 2020, antagonizing the Chief Justice must be some of that 4 dimensional strategery that Trump is so well known for.

Or he’s just an egomaniacal idiot who couldn’t back down to save his life.

But I’m sure it’s the 4D thing.

He's trying to delegitimize the court he is attempting to stack...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

You wouldn't qualify to be a pebble on a dingleberry of the ass of a great man like Obama.

Fuck off, dipshit.