Chick Fill Aye on same sex marry age

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Funny that Chicago did not kick out the white sox and say they weren't welcome when the manager at the time, ozzie guillen had said some anti-gay remarks. And when is it wrong to express personal beliefs? Does the Chick-fil-A corporation not employ gays? Does the Chick-fil-A corporation not allow gay people to eat in it's restaurant? The owner of chick-fil-a was asked what his position was on same-sex marriage.

lineral intolerance rears it's ugly head once again and I think if chick-fil-a pursued it, I think they would have a valid discrimination suit against the city of chicago.

This is an Alderman issue, that is localized to one small part of Chicago. Emanual gives his blessing to the decision, but it is ultimately not his call. It is a Logan Square call.

If the predominantly LGBT community of Logan Square doesn't want a gay-hating business moving in, why don't they have the right to prevent it?

NO ONE is arguing that Chik Fil-A is being infringed upon their right to say whatever the fuck they want and funnel money into gay-hating intolerant organizations all they want. Why then do you think they don't have the right to respond to those decision of this company however they want to?

Jesus Fucking Tap Dancing christ--you can not sit here and bitch and moan about one entity being able to say whatever the fuck they want, then demand the offended group respond in the way that you think is proper.

Just as in the Olympian being booted for her silly tweet--I dare say less than half of the general population understands dick about how freedom of speech works.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
lineral intolerance rears it's ugly head once again and I think if chick-fil-a pursued it, I think they would have a valid discrimination suit against the city of chicago.

Did you mean liberal? This is not a liberal/conservative issue. This is a not stuck in the dark ages issue.

Feb 6, 2007
But he has a point in that SOMEONE is going to have a society with rules that do not match their preferences. SOMEONE is going to have others' preferences forced on them.
I take issue with the idea that something being legal is "forcing" a viewpoint on anyone. Let's take smoking. I don't smoke. It doesn't make a difference to me personally whether smoking is illegal or not. But it happens to be legal; is that "forcing" smoking on me? Nope. If I don't want to engage in that activity, I'm not required to. There's lots of things that are legal which I don't do. You can open up a vegan restaurant if you've got the right permits. Personally, I find veganism offensive. But the fact that veganism is legal isn't "forcing" it on me. I can choose not to engage in it.

Interracial marriage is another activity that is legal. If I were a racist, that's not something I'd be in to, and since I'm already engaged to a white woman, I'm guessing I probably won't get an interracial marriage in my lifetime. Just because the option exists, doesn't mean that someone is "forcing" their beliefs on me. It's the exact same situation with gay marriage. If it was legal, am I going to be required to marry a man? No? Well then where does the "force" part come in to play?

Having the right to do something doesn't make something mandatory. No one is forcing you to think anything. They're opening up further rights to a group you don't happen to be a member of. It doesn't affect you.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Interracial marriage is another activity that is legal. If I were a racist, that's not something I'd be in to, and since I'm already engaged to a white woman, I'm guessing I probably won't get an interracial marriage in my lifetime. Just because the option exists, doesn't mean that someone is "forcing" their beliefs on me. It's the exact same situation with gay marriage. If it was legal, am I going to be required to marry a man? No? Well then where does the "force" part come in to play?

100% this. Not too long ago interracial marriage was illegal too.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I'm going to guess you meant "Liberal".

The alderman already couched his position to deny support for the zoning variance based on "parking concerns". The city can deny a zoning change for a multitude of reasons...the short of it is that if the ward alderman doesn't want something built for ANY reason he can justify not supporting it in the city council where it will inevitably die. This is not really uncommon in pretty much ever major urban area. Legal remedies are few and unlikely to prevail.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is an Alderman issue, that is localized to one small part of Chicago. Emanual gives his blessing to the decision, but it is ultimately not his call. It is a Logan Square call.

Rahm has clearly said he doesn't want their business so I think it is doubtful any of the other ward aldermen will cross him over a chicken store.

I think this is bad timing more than anything, CFA's anti-gay affiliation has been well known for some time. Wheeling it out without a care in the world during the run up to a national election probably did them in here more than anything.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If gay people wanted straight people to be having gay marriages, then I guess this would be them "forcing their issue" on you. This is not happening, obviously.

You can go on hating all you want, but I really don't see that a movement to protect minority rights and remove the current status of legalized discrimination as being something that is "forcing an issue" on a group that already enjoys equal protection under the law.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
This has been a bad decision on Chick-fil-A's part from the start. I highly doubt you will gain many customers by being anti-gay marriage, but you sure as hell will lose them.

Everytime that gay marriage has been put on the ballot across the nation it has been shot down. There are many more people that are against gay marriage than for it. I think the support from the Christian conservatives will more than make up for amy potential losses. It is not really like this is something new. They have been closing on Sundays since they were founded, so it is pretty obvious that they are more concerned about sticking to their principles than revenue loss.....

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Everytime that gay marriage has been put on the ballot across the nation it has been shot down. There are many more people that are against gay marriage than for it. I think the support from the Christian conservatives will more than make up for amy potential losses. It is not really like this is something new. They have been closing on Sundays since they were founded, so it is pretty obvious that they are more concerned about sticking to their principles than revenue loss.....

First sentence is mostly true as far as I know, second sentence is false. Same sex marriage seems to enjoy more support in polls than it does in ballot initiatives. But most national polls now show over 50% support for same sex marriage.

I am not aware of which states are going to have same sex marriage as a ballot issue this year other than my own state of Minnesota (where they're proposing a constitutional amendment to ban it). But we may see a shift in the outcomes this year as well, not just in polls.

Personally, the political and religious views of a company don't really concern me unless they are giving money to organizations I don't support. I'm not about to go out and vandalize a Chik-Fil-A just because I disagree with their views, but I'm not going to eat there either. Actually, I did get a chicken sandwich there once, several years ago, and it was pretty nasty, so I'm not even missing out on anything.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You are a prime example of the outright dishonestly waged by the anti-gay marriage pundits.

You do not understand that by making gay marriage illegal, you are actively preventing citizens from living their lives freely. You are denying them liberty and using religion as a basis for law.

On the other had, if we legalize gay marriage, your life doesn't change at all. You can still chose to believe that gay marriage is an abomination, and your right to marry whoever you want is unchanged.

Nobody cares that you are a bigot - you are free to believe whatever you want. You cross the line when you funnel money to organizations who seek to use their influence and clout to limit the rights of law abiding citizens.

you are free to believe whatever you want.

Exactly! And so are they. I never said gay marriage was an abomination. Don't put words in my mouth. I do however think it is a defect.

And just so you know Everybody is bigoted in some way. Even you.

They have as much right to promote their beliefs as you. They just have more money than you. Don't eat there ... big deal. I don't think they will notice your 2 cents missing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
:confused:

that would mean that platypus demands that everyone get a gay marriage.

that is not what platypus is saying.

defending the civil rights of all is not the same as imposing one's belief on others.

if your church is afraid of the gay and doesn't want to marry gays, no one gives an ever-loving fuck about it.

But to create a law that roundly rejects civil liberties protected by the constitution, is a theocratic, anti-american slight that fewer and fewer people are tolerating.

the reason we are not a democracy is because the "majority" opinion is never useful for protecting the rights of the minorty.

thankfully, the majority opinion has swayed towards most being fine with gay marriage.

this is why you are wrong.

That is Your opinion. That is why you are wrong. What make it a democracy is we are all entitled to promote our opinions via our elected officials.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That is Your opinion. That is why you are wrong. What make it a democracy is we are all entitled to promote our opinions via our elected officials.

Tyranny of the Majority, Bill of Rights, Constitution, check into them.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Tyranny of the Majority, Bill of Rights, Constitution, check into them.

Voicing their opinion has nothing to do with any of these.

Legally promoting your beliefs is not " Tyranny of the majority ".

You are from Canada, your opinion doesn't matter.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

voicing your opinion is one thing

dropping money into a cause that tramples on the rights of others is another thing entirely

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

1) true
2) It is, if you're using your Political representatives to thwart the Rights of a Minority
3) Moot

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
voicing your opinion is one thing

dropping money into a cause that tramples on the rights of others is another thing entirely

1) true
2) It is, if you're using your Political representatives to thwart the Rights of a Minority
3) Moot

Promoting your opinion is using money, political representatives and any other legal means is legal and is done everyday by all advocates of all beliefs. NAACP, PETA, The Rainbow coalition on and on.

So it isn't moot and it isn't wrong. You just don't like it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Promoting your opinion is using money, political representatives and any other legal means is legal and is done everyday by all advocates of all beliefs. NAACP, PETA, The Rainbow coalition on and on.

So it isn't moot and it isn't wrong. You just don't like it.

legal/illegal is one thing
right/wrong is another

Gay marriage advocates play the game to gain rights
Gay marriage proponents play the game to squash rights

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

actually, that is why this country is not a democracy. Tyranny of the majority was understood by the founding fathers, and that is why it is roundly recognized that the beliefs of a majority can not determine the rights of a minority.

This is why the Prop 8 and the amendment in NC and other states are roundly unconstitutional, and will be recognized as such in short order.

Is it My opinion that defending one's right to equal law and equal protection is somehow enforcing one's opinion's on others?

:confused:

If so, then your absolute determination to keep minorities in a disenfranchised state is absolutely, enforcing your values onto someone else.

In fact--it absolutely is. Without the protection of the law, any support against minority rights is a direct enforcement of your values onto them. Fighting for others to gain the rights that they do not have--at no expense of the majority--is, in no way, an enforcement of their value on to you. You see--you lose nothing in this situation. They gain equality. Unless, of course, the problem, as you see it, is that they do not deserve equality.

:hmm:

Unless, you somehow think that how private individuals choose to live their lives as they wish, away from you and likely without you ever knowing them--somehow encroaches upon your freedom?

give me a fucking break--you can not be this obtuse...but that is exactly what you are saying.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Exactly! And so are they. I never said gay marriage was an abomination. Don't put words in my mouth. I do however think it is a defect.

They have as much right to promote their beliefs as you. They just have more money than you. Don't eat there ... big deal. I don't think they will notice your 2 cents missing.

bigotry against bigots is not bigotry, douche.

Your interpretation of the first amendment: You are free to say whatever you want; therefore, no one is allowed to criticize you for it! (unless I clearly believe that what you say is morally objectionable to my antiquated and obsolete value system, and so I will call you a hypocrite for saying what you want to say, but responding angrily when I criticize you for saying it--because, I can say what I want!)

2 cents? have you seen the fucking price of a Chik Fil-A sandwich?

by the way, this is a rather large shit storm. You better believe Chik Fil-A is going to act because of this.

And:
Your bronze age world is crumbling. Deal with it and move on, or just forever cower in your obsolescent corner while society moves on, leaving your worthless and hateful morality, such as it is, in the dust. I see the fear in you. I think you are truly afraid that "the gay" is coming for you.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Your bronze age world is crumbling. Deal with it and move on, or just forever cower in your obsolescent corner while society moves on, leaving your worthless and hateful morality, such as it is, in the dust. I see the fear in you. I think you are truly afraid that "the gay" is coming for you.

That is also your opinion. The majority of society doesn't agree ( yet ) with Gay marriage or it would already be the law nationwide. I do agree with you that it is coming sooner or later. This goes hand in hand with the morals in America slipping away. My "bronze age world" may be crumbling, but your ultra liberal utopian world will catch up with you and bite you squarely in the ass, give it time. It is already biting many European countries.

I will not cower anywhere, much to your dismay. Just because I do not agree with something doesn't mean I fear it. No, I do not hate gays nor do I hold any animosity towards them. It isn't their fault no more than a mentally ill person can help it that they are mentally ill.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Anyone who supports the anti-gay marriage movement is of the same ilk - regardless of what words you chose to use. You are one in the same.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Anyone who supports the anti-gay marriage movement is of the same ilk - regardless of what words you chose to use. You are one in the same.

One day you will realize just how wrong you are. It isn't black or white. There are many many shades of gray in between. If you cannot see this there is no use in trying to hold a conversation with you.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One day you will realize just how wrong you are. It isn't black or white. There are many many shades of gray in between. If you cannot see this there is no use in trying to hold a conversation with you.

what are these "many shades of grey" of which you speak?

waiting....

Maybe we can't see them--because they don't exist?

perhaps the delusion is strong with you? perhaps you have fear in your heart?