Chick Fill Aye on same sex marry age

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Funny, because the liberal case for it boils down to: "Because straight people can".

you're one daft little ditto head aren't you?

straight marriages are afforded specific benefits that are absolutely not afforded to "civil unions."

You can not possibly support this discrimination and "separate but equal" status if you actually believe in civil liberties, period.

It's very fucking simple.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
From Darkhorse on SA:
iF4aS.gif

Looks like Chick-fil-a has long pandered to most ignorant and hateful people in the US, so I guess business as usual.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
you're one daft little ditto head aren't you?

straight marriages are afforded specific benefits that are absolutely not afforded to "civil unions."

You can not possibly support this discrimination and "separate but equal" status if you actually believe in civil liberties, period.

It's very fucking simple.

So an angry version of "Because straight people can" GRRR

EDIT: What it really comes down to you is you do not see marriage as anything except a way to extort benefits from the government.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

EDIT: What it really comes down to you is you do not see marriage as anything except a way to extort benefits from the government.

Are you dense? That's exactly the reason. It all boils down to the benefits straight couples get that same-sex couples don't. There is no "extortion" at all. The government provides benefits to one set of people but not another. If the government doesn't want to do that they are fully capable of eliminating those benefits to everyone.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, it's almost as funny as a fucking idiot libertarian named BoberFett pretending to get unemployment benefits in order to 'stick it to liberals' rather than the real reason: because you need the fucking money.

Who said I did it to "stick it to liberals?" I did it because I got an almost two year paid vacation, courtesy of the American sucker... I mean taxpayer. "Sticking it to liberals" was simply a bonus. After my funemployment ran out, I went right back into a $90K+/yr job. Thanks for the vacation! Keep up the hard work, citizen!

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Are you dense? That's exactly the reason. It all boils down to the benefits straight couples get that same-sex couples don't. There is no "extortion" at all. The government provides benefits to one set of people but not another. If the government doesn't want to do that they are fully capable of eliminating those benefits.

And it is not like there is any other time they do that right? o_O

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Who said I did it to "stick it to liberals?" I did it because I got an almost two year paid vacation, courtesy of the American sucker... I mean taxpayer. "Sticking it to liberals" was simply a bonus. After my funemployment ran out, I went right back into a $90K+/yr job. Thanks for the vacation! Keep up the hard work, citizen!

Liberals think people work for fun. It really explains a lot about their views.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

If you do work as hard as you say then I do not see why this is a lot of time to pursue your own interests.

It says a lot about your character that you think you "got over" on anyone though or used this as a justification for blatant hypocrisy.

A attitude like that will have you on the dole again soon enough worker.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you do work as hard as you say then I do not see why this is a lot of time to pursue your own interests.

It says a lot about your character that you think you "got over" on anyone though or used this as a justification for blatant hypocrisy.

Not sure what you're trying to say. If I could get another two years of paid vacation, damn straight I'd take it. More time to ride my motorcycle, spend time with my daughter, write music, learn to play more instruments, sing for the band I just hooked up with, sleep in late and any anything else I want to do. Work is for suckers, eh Comrade Wage Slave?

Of course in my ideal libertarian world, people who didn't work would starve, save for the kindness of their direct community rather than a massive federal bureaucracy. That would convince me to work. But as long as the system is going to promote my not working by paying me not to, then you bet your ass I'm going to take that option.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

How is accepting unemployment checks "blatant hypocrisy"? Whether or not one agrees with unemployment insurance, one must still pay the premiums. If one pays the premiums, one is entitled to take the checks, period, no matter how one feels about the advisability of the program.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Not sure what you're trying to say. If I could get another two years of paid vacation, damn straight I'd take it. More time to ride my motorcycle, spend time with my daughter, write music, learn to play more instruments, sing for the band I just hooked up with, sleep in late and any anything else I want to do. Work is for suckers, eh Comrade Wage Slave?

Of course in my ideal libertarian world, people who didn't work would starve, save for the kindness of their direct community rather than a massive federal bureaucracy. That would convince me to work. But as long as the system is going to promote my not working by paying me not to, then you bet your ass I'm going to take that option.

That is what I did. I lost my job right before my son was born. I used that time to take care of our son after he was born. I was still eligible for unemployment even though my wife makes $70k a year. Even better I had enough cash saved up to live for the next two years, even without my wife's salary.

Some people forget that things like unemployment or student loans or other social programs are really just money transfers from the poor to the middle class.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

are you able to read above a 3rd grade level?

How did you do on some rather simple critical analysis skills?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That is what I did. I lost my job right before my son was born. I used that time to take care of our son after he was born. I was still eligible for unemployment even though my wife makes $70k a year. Even better I had enough cash saved up to live for the next two years, even without my wife's salary.

Some people forget that things like unemployment or student loans or other social programs are really just money transfers from the poor to the middle class.

How does the government transfer money from people who do not pay income tax????

And you do realize unemployment is funded through insurance premiums paid by employers right?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

People taking as much advantage of society as they can is one of the reasons libertarianism doesn't seem to me like it would really work. Libertarianism seems to assume that work is naturally fairly rewarded and that government is the only avenue for taking advantage of your fellow man, neither of which seems particularly true.

I also don't quite understand your logic here. You claim a $90k+/year wage but seem to think unemployment benefits promote you not working. Unless I massively underestimate the value of unemployment, I think you still have plenty of incentive to work...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
How is accepting unemployment checks "blatant hypocrisy"? Whether or not one agrees with unemployment insurance, one must still pay the premiums. If one pays the premiums, one is entitled to take the checks, period, no matter how one feels about the advisability of the program.

:confused:

I thought employers paid unemployment premiums.

Also, I think the proposed issue is that he was abusing unemployment insurance. At least in my experience, unemployment insurance is contingent upon you actually actively looking for a job, and I believe New York did require that I actually go to certain job fairs and be able to prove that I was submitting my resume, going to interviews, etc. However, I was not required to accept an offer that wasn't within a percentage of my previous wage. I think it was 80% or so.

However, unemployment insurance varies A LOT based on your state. So, I have no idea how his state does it. One big difference that I've seen is with the weekly cap. New York was around $400, and I think Pennsylvania (I used to live there) was around $500. If I remember right, Alabama is only around $200 :)eek:), so let's hope I don't get laid off. :p

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
:confused:

I thought employers paid unemployment premiums.

Also, I think the proposed issue is that he was abusing unemployment insurance. At least in my experience, unemployment insurance is contingent upon you actually actively looking for a job, and I believe New York did require that I actually go to certain job fairs and be able to prove that I was submitting my resume, going to interviews, etc. However, I was not required to accept an offer that wasn't within a percentage of my previous wage. I think it was 80% or so.

However, unemployment insurance varies A LOT based on your state. So, I have no idea how his state does it. One big difference that I've seen is with the weekly cap. New York was around $400, and I think Pennsylvania (I used to live there) was around $500. If I remember right, Alabama is only around $200 :)eek:), so let's hope I don't get laid off. :p
Employers pay it on your behalf, but it's part of your total compensation just like the other half of your payroll taxes and (often) some or all of your insurance. This is what it costs your employer to employ you, and also what you must be judged worth to continue being employed. (At least, in the private sector.) Therefore it's part of your total compensation.

The only time I was ever laid off was a brief period twenty+ years, and I picked up some programming for much of that, so I wouldn't claim to be an expert. There were no requirements placed on me, but I was collecting only for three or four weeks at most so others' experiences in Tennessee may vary considerably. I think my check was definitely under $200 - it paid for food and gas, or for part of rent, only.

Last edited:

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Its a good thing you are a terrible person like all libertarians then and being a hypocrite isn't beyond you. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as an honest or decent libertarian.

Rainsford, its easy to explain him, like all libertarians, he's a liar.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Its a good thing you are a terrible person like all libertarians then and being a hypocrite isn't beyond you. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as an honest or decent libertarian.

Rainsford, its easy to explain him, like all libertarians, he's a liar.

How is that being a hypocrite? He was forcefully made to pay for a service that he used.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
How is that being a hypocrite? He was forcefully made to pay for a service that he used.

Unemployment insurance in general is a good thing, to give a cushion between jobs as you look for something new. It's less good when you're being a spiteful dick about it and could find a new job elsewhere. It's kind of like food stamps are a good thing, but every now and then some college republican type will go on them and buy lobster and try to make a big deal about how wasteful the system is, when the system still does a net huge benefit even with dickhead fringe cases.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
That would convince me to work.

You should want to work to better yourself.

Your attitude is that of making justifications and excuses, not very manly.

I wouldn't hire/trust you to shovel shit being a employer myself.

Grow up, my point was that no one is going to berate you for spending time with your family, but the excuses about the government are pathetic.

You are not getting over on anyone but your own reputation as a adult.

I usually make a pisstake out of right wing "libertarians" but you make it too easy comrade.

Just like the free market you worship like a religion -you are your own worst enemy.

People in other countries see this. Slacker.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Unemployment insurance in general is a good thing, to give a cushion between jobs as you look for something new. It's less good when you're being a spiteful dick about it and could find a new job elsewhere. It's kind of like food stamps are a good thing, but every now and then some college republican type will go on them and buy lobster and try to make a big deal about how wasteful the system is, when the system still does a net huge benefit even with dickhead fringe cases.

There is a massive difference between food stamps and unemployment.

Unemployment is largely designed to be given to those who deserve help while food stamps is not.