Chicagoans: Have you embraced Willis?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
It's been three years since the rename, what say you? Growing up there, for me it will always be the Sears Tower. I don't remember people complaining so much about the Standard Oil/Amoco building being renamed to the current Aon center.

Willis_Tower_night_2.jpg

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Chicagoans are dumb as shit. The whole city is just an overgrown truck stop.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Chicagoans are dumb as shit. The whole city is just an overgrown truck stop.
I'm awarding you one cookie for the best TFP sound-a-like post even though you joined long after TFP was banned.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Award me what ever you cookie you want. I've already been accused of being a previous member before when I first joined. I'm not.
Those dumb shits up north have led this once great state into the shitter. Google it if you don't believe me.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Award me what ever you cookie you want. I've already been accused of being a previous member before when I first joined. I'm not.
Those dumb shits up north have led this once great state into the shitter. Google it if you don't believe me.
You're not from Texas are you? I might have to take the cookie back.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006

Wait wait wait wait wait. You sound like you live in Carbondale and are mad about Chicago politics. Not sure what this "great state" would be without Chicago.

Anyway, OP, the only ones who use proper nomenclature are the media. Occasionally I hear "Sears, er Willis Tower," but that's the extent of it.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Wait wait wait wait wait. You sound like you live in Carbondale and are mad about Chicago politics. Not sure what this "great state" would be without Chicago.

Anyway, OP, the only ones who use proper nomenclature are the media. Occasionally I hear "Sears, er Willis Tower," but that's the extent of it.

Missouri... or Nebraska.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I work in construction here in Chicago, Illinois and United Airlines is doing a crapton if work since they have like 15 floors there. Haven't heard a single person refer to the job being in Willis tower. Not to mention I think the owners are already trying to sell it.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Willis never bought the tower, just the naming rights - this was part of a lease deal they got for if I remember correctly leasing just a couple of floors. Willis is a London based insurance company (so, providing nothing of value basically).

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I can't believe that so many companies are willing to pay good money for naming rights to buildings that have already been around for ages, given that the public tends to keep referring to them by the old name and gets resentful at the company in question.

Monster Park, anyone?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
What about the Standard Oil/Amoco building? People seem to be OK calling it the Aon Center.

March+26+2010+Sun+Lights.jpg

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Whenever I'm downtown with out of town friends, they ask where the "Sears Tower" is so they can visit.