Chicago wants to ban large energy drinks.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-alderman-burke-targets-red-bull-0118-20130118,0,1170180.story

Ald. Edward Burke, 14th, is proposing banning large containers of "highly caffeinated" energy drinks like Red Bull in Chicago.

Burke, chairman of the City Council's Finance Committee, is known for floating proposals to ban everything from plastic bags in grocery stores to trans fats in restaurant fryers. He also pushed a plan to ban the sale of cigarettes except those that extinguish themselves when left unattended.

lol.

i figure this will go over as well as the Foie gras ban did.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I have a gun but I couldn't stop the government taking cocain out of my favorite soft drink. I don't care anymore. My life is already ruined.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
180mg of caffeine is nothing. That's like 2 cups of coffee. I bet he isn't going to try to ban coffee though.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Excellent - soon you can purchase a large red bull along with your gun and weed from the local dealer. Gangs will fight over territory near high schools, college campuses and bars and the streets will run red with blo...red bull

(I know its not actually red)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-alderman-burke-targets-red-bull-0118-20130118,0,1170180.story

Ald. Edward Burke, 14th, is proposing banning large containers of "highly caffeinated" energy drinks like Red Bull in Chicago.

Burke, chairman of the City Council's Finance Committee, is known for floating proposals to ban everything from plastic bags in grocery stores to trans fats in restaurant fryers. He also pushed a plan to ban the sale of cigarettes except those that extinguish themselves when left unattended.

lol.

i figure this will go over as well as the Foie gras ban did.

Taking after NY's lead.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I'd really love to know why some people feel the need to dominate and control other people's lives.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Once Taco Bell wins the fast food wars this will get all sorted out.

I believe that war is closing and a guy named Raymond Cocteau has been talking about merging San Diego, Los Angeles, and Santa Barbara, be well.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Don't the politicians in Chicago have bigger fish to fry than large energy drinks??

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Jesus Christ...

Really, There are actual important things to discuss. Energy drinks are already properly labeled w\ warnings about consumption, etc.

What's next? Beer? You gonna limit beer size to 8oz? Good luck w\ that shit.

This kind of stuff just pisses me off because they're wasting theirs, and everybody elses time even talking about this shit.

Michael Bloomberg banned soda of certain sizes? Are you fucking kidding me?

This is the guy who wanted OWS shut down to protect him and his crook friends on wallstreet, but he thinks coke is dangerous

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Don't the politicians in Chicago have bigger fish to fry than large energy drinks??

in Chicago? nope. no crime. nobody getting shot. no drugs and a abundance of extra money. hell i heard they are thinking of lowering the tax rate!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Jesus Christ...

Really, There are actual important things to discuss. Energy drinks are already properly labeled w\ warnings about consumption, etc.

What's next? Beer? You gonna limit beer size to 8oz? Good luck w\ that shit.

This kind of stuff just pisses me off because they're wasting theirs, and everybody elses time even talking about this shit.

Michael Bloomberg banned soda of certain sizes? Are you fucking kidding me?

This is the guy who wanted OWS shut down to protect him and his crook friends on wallstreet, but he thinks coke is dangerous

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

What do you expect? Once the authoritarians get moving they cant help themselves. Always something to uncontrolled in people's lives.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Chicago politics is all about distracting from larger issues and spreading the illusion of action.

Trust me MANY citizens of Chicago are very pleased by this proposal and come election time they'll think, hey this guy really cares and is trying to change things here and protect us.

Political machines can't really be stopped.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'd really love to know why some people feel the need to dominate and control other people's lives.

Well, since the government (and therefore the citizens) are paying for a massive number of people's health care its not a long stretch to make the connection between 'Hey - that unhealthy person is costing me money!' and trying to force them to make better health related decisions in life

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Because they can, because it is power, a failure of the human condition since time immemorial. Unless "we the people" have this power kept unto ourselves, we will be ruled and dominated by tyrants.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i wish we could go back to the days where smoking in every public place was a-ok. bunch of pussymorons in this country now

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
When you believe the answer to all of life's problems is more big government in the lives of individuals than every issue naturally can only be solved via more regulations, mandates, taxes, fees, etc from big government.

Interestingly the more laws big government creates the more criminals they also create in society. The more regulations they create to enforce desired intended outcomes the more unintended and undesirable outcomes they create. The more taxes and fees they levy onto productive citizens to attempt to address a growing number of poor people/inequality the more they incentivize and help to induce poverty/inequalities in society.

Last edited:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Once Taco Bell wins the fast food wars this will get all sorted out.

Demolition+Man+3.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Mellow Greetings friend, what is your boggle...and I still can't figure out how to use those damn three shells....and lovin the no touch handshake

I loled, remember, free TP in the future! Just get mouthy!

The producers, director and other staff of Demolition Man came and stayed at my parent's establishment for a "project getaway" weeks before they started shooting. Left some scripts and other things behind in their cabins. In the movie Sly gets thawed on my birthday IRC...weird

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
It would make more headlines and gather more attention if Chicago DIDNT ban something for a change.