Chicago parking fiasco gets better...LOL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm not in the business of selling parking so I have no idea. I do know that the best way to ensure the crap that's going on in Chicago now perpetuates is to give a monopoly to one company backed by the force of law. That might even be worse than having the government run things on its own.

In other words, you can't support your original assertion.

Actually, I see it as worse, because Daley essentially traded in tomorrow for today as political expediency & to achieve personal gain.

That's pretty much how privatization works everywhere, in every realm, and Repubs have been privatization advocates for decades.

Like I said, it's a damned shame when Dems act like Repubs.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Good fucking lord. I'm beginning to feel as if our posters have been schooled in the "posting cliches" by Crash Davis straight out of Bull Durham.

False attribution
Cognitive bias
Straw man
False equivalency
Onus probandi
Duh-vert
Conservatives have a brain defect
False premise

I can just see Crash telling Nuke "when you're getting your ass handed to you in a political forum, you resort to your tried and true cliches to pull you through."

just watch the whole movie

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Good fucking lord. I'm beginning to feel as if our posters have been schooled in the "posting cliches" by Crash Davis straight out of Bull Durham.

False attribution
Cognitive bias
Straw man
False equivalency
Onus probandi
Duh-vert
Conservatives have a brain defect
False premise

I can just see Crash telling Nuke "when you're getting your ass handed to you in a political forum, you resort to your tried and true cliches to pull you through."

just watch the whole movie

Colbert, ever prescient, said it best- "Facts have a Liberal Bias".

Pointing out the logical fallacies employed by the usual suspects, including yourself, is just pointing out the cliches of emotional propaganda rather than using them.

If you didn't employ logical fallacies, didn't lap up propaganda the way a dog will lap up antifreeze, nobody would point that out. But you'd usually have no argument, so, well, there it is.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Colbert, ever prescient, said it best- "Facts have a Liberal Bias".

Colbert is a comedian. If you think what he says during his comedy routines are to be taken seriously, you are doing it wrong.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Colbert is a comedian. If you think what he says during his comedy routines are to be taken seriously, you are doing it wrong.

The beauty of political satire is that it always contains a grain of truth if it's funny. That was true of Mark Twain, Will Rogers and some of today's best-Garrison Keillor, Jon Stewart, and particularly Colbert.

"Facts have a Liberal Bias" is funny because it's true- all too true.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would expect no less from a city run by evil republicans, they screw over the little guy to help their buddies amass even more wealth..... Wait, Chicago is run by republicans right?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I would expect no less from a city run by evil republicans, they screw over the little guy to help their buddies amass even more wealth..... Wait, Chicago is run by republicans right?

Well you should be proud.

Dems like Daley took from the Republican playbook when it would benefit him personally such as this and the Bridge tolls.

It's not talked about as much as the Parking disaster but he also gave away the bridge tolls to a private Company and they have been raising the rates every year. It hasn't caught up to how much New York charges yet but it will.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Dems like Daley took from the Republican playbook when it would benefit him personally such as this and the Bridge tolls.

It's not talked about as much as the Parking disaster but he also gave away the bridge tolls to a private Company and they have been raising the rates every year. It hasn't caught up to how much New York charges yet but it will.

:biggrin:

So, just to make sure I understand: republicans are the evil scum, and when democrats do something stupid, we should blame the republicans because the democrats are only taking a page from their playbook. You partisan hacks crack me up.

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
:biggrin:

So, just to make sure I understand: republicans are the evil scum, and when democrats do something stupid, we should blame the republicans because the democrats are only taking a page from their playbook. You partisan hacks crack me up.

Actually, he's doing it right. He's looking at the actions of the person, not the label on them.

That's rather the opposite of a partisan hack.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Actually, he's doing it right. He's looking at the actions of the person, not the label on them.

That's rather the opposite of a partisan hack.

He is labeling an action as something only a republican would do...and therefor he IS looking at the label that he placed onto the action.

It is what a partisan hack would do.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

He is labeling an action as something only a republican would do...and therefor he IS looking at the label that he placed onto the action.

It is what a partisan hack would do.

That's not what he said at all, but apparently you need your usual strawman to form any sort of argument...

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
LOL you repubs and dems crack me up blaming it on each other and not seeing reality which is:

Both side are corrupt!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
LOL you repubs and dems crack me up blaming it on each other and not seeing reality which is:

Both side are corrupt!

/this

its not a fact that they are dems. The big issue is in Chicago the party in power have a stranglehold on the city.

also so much power tends to bring lots of corruption. Chicago politics has a reputation for a reason.

though the last GOP mayor was 1930ish

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Both side are corrupt!

That's true beyond a shadow of a doubt. In Chicago in particular, one party dominates politics to the point where they simply don't have to worry about winning the election -- they know they'll win no matter what. With no checks or balances in place, you get corruption and dumb ideas at a whole new level.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's true beyond a shadow of a doubt. In Chicago in particular, one party dominates politics to the point where they simply don't have to worry about winning the election -- they know they'll win no matter what. With no checks or balances in place, you get corruption and dumb ideas at a whole new level.

Maybe that's because their last Repub mayor left a very bad stink behind-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hale_Thompson

Privatization has been a Repub poster child for decades, and an increasing source of revenue for their contributors as a consequence.

Transit. Sanitation. Prisons. You name it, and it's all based on the idea of subsidies rather than actual free enterprise. If free enterprise had wanted those things, they never would have been run by govt in the first place. But they love subsidies, oh yes they do, not to mention the perverse incentives involved-

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/06/23/251363/cca-geogroup-prison-industry/

Daley? He never was much of a Democrat, certainly never a Progressive, and his leap onto this gravy train just proves it.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
In other words, you can't support your original assertion.

Actually, I see it as worse, because Daley essentially traded in tomorrow for today as political expediency & to achieve personal gain.

That's pretty much how privatization works everywhere, in every realm, and Repubs have been privatization advocates for decades.

Like I said, it's a damned shame when Dems act like Repubs.
So I am only allowed to comment if I have specific expertise in a field? In that case, you'd better simply log off and never come back. I don't believe anyone could be as stupid as you claim to be in the post I quoted here. You hold government as the ideal and private corporations as the devil. You choose as your example the exception that proves the opposite of your rule. You then stick to your guns when it is pointed out that your entire premise is nothing but a false dilemma. Corrupt government manufactured this problem. Government-mandated monopoly is nothing but an extension of government itself, so little wonder that the monopoly is likewise corrupt. Any non-zombie could have easily predicted this outcome. What would you do if I gave you exclusive rights to arbitrate parking in NYC? The exact same thing this company is doing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So I am only allowed to comment if I have specific expertise in a field? In that case, you'd better simply log off and never come back. I don't believe anyone could be as stupid as you claim to be in the post I quoted here. You hold government as the ideal and private corporations as the devil. You choose as your example the exception that proves the opposite of your rule. You then stick to your guns when it is pointed out that your entire premise is nothing but a false dilemma. Corrupt government manufactured this problem. Government-mandated monopoly is nothing but an extension of government itself, so little wonder that the monopoly is likewise corrupt. Any non-zombie could have easily predicted this outcome. What would you do if I gave you exclusive rights to arbitrate parking in NYC? The exact same thing this company is doing.

Uhh-Waaahhh!

Stuck in a loop of contradictions in your thought processes, such as they are. Guess what? That's not my fault, but yours. We're all allowed to comment, yet we need to have some reasonable understanding of the subject if we're not to make fools of ourselves in the process. You made a foolish assertion, I called you on it. Get over yourself.

Some things fall rightfully into the realm of govt, others don't. Obviously, when private enterprise attempts to enter those realms, it's for corrupt purposes, regardless of their stated intentions, and they will sometimes find corrupt persons on the other side who welcome them. Sometimes that corruption is enshrined in ideology, sometimes it runs against the grain of the professed ideology of the perps, but it remains corrupt in any event.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

Don't mind him, he always throws a little baby tantrum when it gets pointed out that Democrats abuse the system more often then Republicans do. Especially in a corrupt Democrat stronghold like Chicago.
Did he really cite stinkprogress.org? lol

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
"Facts have a Liberal Bias" is funny because it's true- all too true.

It is simply something a comedian says as part of his act. Truth is not required for a comedian to have a successful routine. Colbert's biggest benefit and his biggest bane is Jon Stewart - who IS quite funny. Colbert would not have a following of any significant size if his show did not follow the very funny Stewart. Yet, because Colbert's show follows Stewart's, one cannot help but compare the two and see that Colbert pales in comparison to the funny that is Stewart.

Now that Colbert has built up a following by riding on Stewart's coat tails, he will surely do well if he moves to a different time slot and we no longer can easily compare him to Stewart.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Uhh-Waaahhh!

Stuck in a loop of contradictions in your thought processes, such as they are. Guess what? That's not my fault, but yours. We're all allowed to comment, yet we need to have some reasonable understanding of the subject if we're not to make fools of ourselves in the process. You made a foolish assertion, I called you on it. Get over yourself.

Some things fall rightfully into the realm of govt, others don't. Obviously, when private enterprise attempts to enter those realms, it's for corrupt purposes, regardless of their stated intentions, and they will sometimes find corrupt persons on the other side who welcome them. Sometimes that corruption is enshrined in ideology, sometimes it runs against the grain of the professed ideology of the perps, but it remains corrupt in any event.
My thought process is plenty sharp - tempered by years of working for the federal government. My only premise is that government is inherently inefficient. Your premise - that privatization = fail - is based on nothing but a government-backed monopoly which will inevitably fail in every case. Privatization which opens up a market to competition will always improve efficiency. I can prove this on an abacus. You previously claimed that I need to propose a detailed plan regarding how parking in Chicago should be implemented to alleviate problems inherent in the current system. I'm glad you've at least backed off that bit of insanity.