Chicago man arrested for saying 'no' to prostitute... with his wife and daughter right next to him

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: paulxcook
Why are the police getting worse? I remember cops being respectable when I was younger. I don't think it's just my perception of things changing.

Society only produces so many individuals who will be cops for the right reasons. We have more than that now.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Phokus
Why are the police getting worse? I remember cops being respectable when I was younger. I don't think it's just my perception of things changing.

Actually, i think police were more corrupt back in the old days than they are today before they had internal affairs, at least in the NYC area. I remember reading about how insanely corrupt they were back in high school in a book called "Serpico". It's just we have the internet today (as someone pointed out) and we have better technology to catch these a-holes in the act (like the missouri video camera case).
Yeah, and Al Capone was a corrupting ah heck. :p

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: CadetLee
That sucks.

Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Does that site not have an adequate budget for things like quotation marks?

Copyright 2007, Sun-Times News Group
Blame them. :p

edit: actually after re-reading the story, it doesn't say that he said 'no',
How about editing the title too, hm?

c'mon what man, with his wife and daughter with him would even remotely hint that "yes, yes i would like a BJ, $5 yeah?"

its pretty obvious he'll of said no, or just looked on in complete gobsmacking disgust. which is about as good as saying no.

gotta be more too it though, perhaps he's actually been playing the "sucky sucky $5" game previously and the PD decided to swoop on him at the most inoppertune time.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
That sucks.

Does that site not have an adequate budget for things like quotation marks?

Copyright 2007, Sun-Times News Group
Blame them. :p

edit: actually after re-reading the story, it doesn't say that he said 'no',
How about editing the title too, hm?

c'mon what man, with his wife and daughter with him would even remotely hint that "yes, yes i would like a BJ, $5 yeah?"

its pretty obvious he'll of said no, or just looked on in complete gobsmacking disgust. which is about as good as saying no.

gotta be more too it though, perhaps he's actually been playing the "sucky sucky $5" game previously and the PD decided to swoop on him at the most inoppertune time.

Who knows - but your title says specifically that he was arrested for saying no, which is not correct. Maybe I'm just being an English nazi again. :evil:

Originally posted by: daveshel

Society only produces so many individuals who will be cops for the right reasons. We have more than that now.

If people would stop killing the good ones, maybe we wouldn't have so much of a problem. :(

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
it really does not matter if he said "no" or just laughed. they got thepoint.

then the city is holding the car until they pay a $4,700 impound fee. wich he wouldnt have if he was not illegaly arrested.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The Palacioses, of Chicago, claim the woman approached their car, parked outside Manolo?s restaurant, leaned in to the passenger side where Rocio was sitting and asked Erasmo if he wanted oral sex for $20 or sex for $25.

text book entrapment.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
There was a city here in Michigan that took a lot of heat a few years ago over using real prostitutes that they had coerced into helping them in their sting operation or should I say scam operation a few years ago.

This is how it would go down. Police would detain a prostitute and convince her to help them otherwise she would be going to jail. She would flag down a "John" and the officers would swoop in and arrest the John on just the prostitute's word. She wasn't wired, there was no video.

Now, this would never stand up in court, because the hooker had a motive to lie. BUT, you would go before a judge and he'd say that they'd let you go if you paid the $1200 fee to have your car returned to you. If you refused, then your name would appear in the paper as having been arrested for soliciting a prostitute and your wife/relatives/employer would find out about it.

The city made $150K in one year using this method. One guy they arrested had pulled over into a parking lot to make a cell call to his wife and only had $1.15 in his pockets. Another, had car trouble and was looking under the hood when the hooker came over to ask if she could help. He said sure and asked her to turn the key why he fiddled under the hood. That's when the cops came and arrested him.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
I have a feeling the man and his wife jokingly started to play along with the undercover cop and the cops took it as an excuse to bust the husband.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
The Palacioses, of Chicago, claim the woman approached their car, parked outside Manolo?s restaurant, leaned in to the passenger side where Rocio was sitting and asked Erasmo if he wanted oral sex for $20 or sex for $25.

text book entrapment.

Entrapment is coercing someone into doing something they would normally not intend to do. How is this entrapment?

Merely providing the opportunity for someone to perpetrate a crime is not entrapment.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
http://www.officer.com/web/onl...-Prostitution-Arrest/1

Yet ANOTHER dirty chicago police story. Way to go guys, entrapping a guy who doesn't even fall for the trap. And people wonder why we trust the police less and less these days.

edit: actually after re-reading the story, it doesn't say that he said 'no', but it's certainly implicit that he did not accept the undercover cop's offer.

Yeah, I'm sure most guys with their wives in the car aren't going to say "Sure, I'd love a BJ from a hooker, it's the perfect way to round out breakfast!"

Haha, yeah with his daughter nearby too. "See? this is what i want you to be when YOU grow up!"
When she grows up? His daughter in the car was 22.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Aharami
Attorneys Lonny Ben Ogus and Joe Cavanaugh also want to know what happened to the family?s 1983 Mercedes. It was impounded that November day and, Palacios said, his wife and daughter were even threatened with arrest as they tried to stop police from taking it, as they were left stranded that morning.

The city wants more than $4,700 in towing and storage fees if he wants the car back.

Chicago, what a wonderful city!

wow, I got off lucky. I only had to pay $1100 after the city impounded my car, and broke into it (at the impound) trying to sell my stereo.

Yeah, Chicago blows most of the time.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Attorneys Lonny Ben Ogus and Joe Cavanaugh also want to know what happened to the family?s 1983 Mercedes. It was impounded that November day and, Palacios said, his wife and daughter were even threatened with arrest as they tried to stop police from taking it, as they were left stranded that morning.

The city wants more than $4,700 in towing and storage fees if he wants the car back.

wow, I got off lucky. I only had to pay $1100 after the city impounded my car, and broke into it (at the impound) trying to sell my stereo.

lol...well you did leave it in one spot for 5 months :p

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000

That's why the call it the Windy City *rimshot*.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: K1052

lol...well you did leave it in one spot for 5 months :p

hey, i was within parking/street cleaning regulations. :D

they never credited me the parking ticket I paid to keep under the 3 ticket minimum for the boot...those asshats..

not to mention--assholes broke my windshield towing it 20 feet down the street several months earlier, from an UNMARKED street repair.

anyhoo, this story doesn't surprise me in the least. Historically, Chicago has one of the worst police departments in the country, next to New Orleans and LA. I guarantee you this guy didn't play along or agree in any way to have sex with the Ho. The police report doesn't even mention wife and daughter were in the car. Why? ...then there would be official witnesses--whose testimony would then be made relevant.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

anyhoo, this story doesn't surprise me in the least. Historically, Chicago has one of the worst police departments in the country, next to New Orleans and LA. I guarantee you this guy didn't play along or agree in any way to have sex with the Ho. The police report doesn't even mention wife and daughter were in the car. Why? ...then there would be official witnesses--whose testimony would then be made relevant.

From the article, it says only the wife was in the car. The child was in a shop.

It seems like the child returned to the car as the police officers were swarming it.

I could be reading it wrong, feel free to correct me.

EDIT: Here's what I'm basing it on:

His daughter, who had just run in to exchange her coffee for a hot chocolate, screamed, while his wife cried in fear.

"I'm so lucky I was with my wife -- imagine if I had to try to tell her and she wasn't with me," he said, before laughing at the image. "She'd never believe me. Never."

A Chicago police report offers few details, saying only that it was Erasmo Palacios who asked for sex, never mentioning his wife in the car or his daughter nearby.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

text book entrapment.

Entrapment is coercing someone into doing something they would normally not intend to do. How is this entrapment?

Merely providing the opportunity for someone to perpetrate a crime is not entrapment.

You know it's kind of a fine line you ride when you provide these opportunities. I read the paper and they talk about soliciting people to buy alcohol for them. I live in Berkeley for goodness sakes. I have friends who have been mugged at gunpoint walking home at night and if some kid and his friends are asking me for alcohol and they look like they're going to be giving me trouble, what choice do I have? I mean it's ridiculous. I don't think all of us want to buy alcohol for those not of age but it's just that we don't want trouble at times.

I think the same goes for the Dateline show with those sexual predators. Yes they are more of a danger and more of trash to this society than those who buy alcohol for minors and I can say damn that's cool they're catching people and getting rid of scum, but sometimes you just think that it really sucks for those people how they're getting tricked and what not and getting arrested prior to commiting any crime.

This is just sad. My encounter with cops have been good so far but at the rate they're going now ughhh....

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: BigJ

text book entrapment.

You know it's kind of a fine line you ride when you provide these opportunities. I read the paper and they talk about soliciting people to buy alcohol for them. I live in Berkeley for goodness sakes. I have friends who have been mugged at gunpoint walking home at night and if some kid and his friends are asking me for alcohol and they look like they're going to be giving me trouble, what choice do I have? I mean it's ridiculous. I don't think all of us want to buy alcohol for those not of age but it's just that we don't want trouble at times.

I think the same goes for the Dateline show with those sexual predators. Yes they are more of a danger and more of trash to this society than those who buy alcohol for minors and I can say damn that's cool they're catching people and getting rid of scum, but sometimes you just think that it really sucks for those people how they're getting tricked and what not and getting arrested prior to commiting any crime.

This is just sad. My encounter with cops have been good so far but at the rate they're going now ughhh....

I'm not going to deny that there's often a fine line being walked with entrapment. I just don't think this case is anywhere near "textbook entrapment."

I think the cops are mostly full of shit for the most part in this case (and that opinion is based SOLELY on the information at hand, and could very easily change), but I don't think they committed entrapment. Falsified data, violated civil rights? Sure. Entrapment? Nuh-uh.

I'm only going to briefly address your other two situations. 1) I understand where you're coming from and it's a shitty scenario. 2) Dateline is pretty sleazy with what I read about how they conduct this crap, but how typical LEOs conduct it is much less controversial. I don't feel bad for most of the guys, especially the ones that say "you know I could get in trouble for saying this stuff to you." They know damn well what they're doing.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DLeRium

They don't arrest them prior to committing any crime.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jdini76
Where does it say he said 'NO'?

Where does it say that that he said 'YES'?

The police report was obviously bogus, because, according to the article (bold emphasis mine):

Eight hours later, Palacios, who has no criminal record, was released from custody. And weeks later, charges against him were dropped.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I think we're just hearing about it more, with internet news/etc.

Agreed. They are human beings just like the rest of us and they make mistakes. Sounds like they just fucked up.

Some of these things are not "mistakes", they are premeditated acts willingly committed by the officers.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I think we're just hearing about it more, with internet news/etc.

Agreed. They are human beings just like the rest of us and they make mistakes. Sounds like they just fucked up.

Some of these things are not "mistakes", they are premeditated acts willingly committed by the officers.

This happens when the desire to get an arrest/conviction is greater than the desire to ethically enforce and uphold the law.

Sounds to me like the defendant in this case has a pretty good case. The city certainly owes this guy at least the towing and impound fees, and likely some extra award for the sheer inconvenience aggravation they put him and his family through.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I can believe it. Some officers are quick to arrest. A guy at my community college got asked for a ride by some hot / slutty looking chick. He figured WTF I guess. Once he pulled away a marked cop car stopped them and arrested him. There was a strip club about a block away from the college...I suppose they could have been soliciting there, but I don't know why anyone would need too if you are in college.

He ended up getting the charges thrown out, but we all thought he really picked up a hooker to party with. Dumbass was just giving her a ride afterall.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: buck
There has to be more to this.

trust me, there's probably not(which is why the case was dropped). many Chicago PD officers have chips on their shoulders.

I've witnessed it firsthand. I'm not one of those who thinks "All cops are dirty" either.

I think it's a situation where they get hardened by dealing with all the criminal activity that goes on. It's not like the suburbs where the worst offenses are driving over the yellow line on a two way.

I've been wrongly accused 2 times and both times the charges were dropped. The only good thing about Chicago are the judges (and lawyers)