Chicago - high school forfeits baseball game on South Side over drive-by fears

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Unlike the "good" people of Virginia, the thugs don't hide behind laws when it comes to discussing the immorality of their actions. THey freely admit to who they are. The sellers, though, are extremely smug because the violence is happening in another world. In another place with people they can do not relate to. The pain and suffering are not theirs to worry about, only dirty cash handed to them by the very customers you look down upon...

Yet somehow Virginia itself seems bucolic and peaceful with a homicide rate that's a small fraction of yours, despite being your perceived groundspring source for all firearms evil. Fact is, your filthy cesspool of a city created these ghetto monsters who kill in cold blood, not some firearms laws from another state a time zone away. Man up and accept responsibility for once.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Madison Avenue.

For those not from Chicago this is the border, the line in the sand, the do not cross. This unassuming street running through the loop is what separates Chicagoland's north and south (which doesn't include the loop, those in the loop south of Madison are still "in the loop").

I grew up in Chicagoland's north side and have spent a good deal of time in the south side.

Are there legitimate fears for certain areas of the south (and west) sides? Sure are. Do drive by shootings happen? Yes they do. Do these parents have legitimate fears? Maybe.

The truth is, the south side of Chicagoland is legendary - and by legendary I mean there are a lot of perceived notions about it which simply aren't true. These are held often time by north siders (also known as "Cubs Fans") and people downtown who never go south of Madison.

Chicago is a baseball town and people not from there might not understand. A lot of the poorer neighborhoods and villages, baseball is all they have. There is huge pride at schools around baseball. The city's two best teams, one being from the north and one from the south, is guaranteed to be a drama and get people's emotions flowing.

Is there a legitimate danger to the players from the opposing team? Not in my opinion. Is there a possible danger from other nearby "urban youths" with nothing to live for who might like to "get even" with a privileged north side team should they win the game (or maybe not even win)? Maybe. These types of people DO exist.

Honestly, it's a tough call. Personally, I would go play the game. Even though I grew up on the north side, it wasn't in an ivory tower and my neighborhood had it's rough patches - there are rough places on the north side as well. Straight up trust fund kids and parents legitimately fear the south side though and they may not be able to handle the idea (I mean real fear, they won't go).

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Ok, a lot of parts of the SS are bad (I live in the southern most part of the area), but, many are not that bad. Plus, anyone with a brain packs anyways. Really the only fear is being mass mobbed (can't really defend against that) or a driveby. Neither super likely (possible yes, but not likely). Not going though was a p*ssy move. Way to set an example for your kids...

Chuck

Wow Chicago is such a shit hole.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Wow Chicago is such a shit hole.

Yeah, it's completely terrible...

chicago.jpg

Cityscape-Building-River-Chicago-Illinois-United-States.jpg

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Yet somehow Virginia itself seems bucolic and peaceful with a homicide rate that's a small fraction of yours, despite being your perceived groundspring source for all firearms evil. Fact is, your filthy cesspool of a city created these ghetto monsters who kill in cold blood, not some firearms laws from another state a time zone away. Man up and accept responsibility for once.

And don't forget overflowing with money and people from Washington. Virginia and Maryland are two of the biggest suckers on the government tits. Without public money they would be like almost every other southern shit: poor and backwards. You must be a conservative or libertarian too, right? I swear the hypocrisy within some people is so pronounced that everyone sees it but them. You're no different from the Tea-partiers, gobbling down every government program while simultaneously bashing it...

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I blame those who make it easier. What's disgusting is, upon seeing the carnage on the news, they have the galls to criticize those that are doing their best, legally, to stop the violence.

That's the problem, the people pushing the gun control laws are not "doing their best legally to stop the violence", they are being stupid and trying to infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens. The problem obviously isn't the guns, it's the criminals who use them to commit crimes. Morons in places like Chicago just can't grasp that simple reality. They keep hopelessly flailing trying to create ever more restrictive laws, and continue to fail miserably in controlling violence, because the truth is the violence is not the result of the availability of weapons, it's the result of a willingness of people to commit violent (criminal) acts.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
There is no way any sane parent would put their kids at risk for a game of baseball. I'd have kept my kid out of that game for sure. You can debate the amount of risk involved, but it IS a real risk in that part of the city.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Cool you would be packing, after your kid gets shot you can shoot back,

cheers

No the point of packing is really the walk from and to the parking lot, and the drive in and out. Not really a large concern at the games because usually there's already a police presence there (that is if the school hosting is competent and makes sure to request that of the police...or, the police are on the ball and know there's a game on). The chance of a shooting at an event, especially at the actual athletes, is pretty low.

Anyone with a brain packs?!? How about anyone with a brain doesn't put themselves in that situation to begin with.

Like I said above, the chance that the athletes are going to be shot is low. I just don't get this irrational fear of The South Side. Generally, it's not that bad.

Chuck

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Yeah, it's completely terrible...

snip due to large size]

Lets not go overboard now. The garbage, condoms, and grime that are really in those pics that you don't see aren't really a big sell when seen in person...

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
No the point of packing is really the walk from and to the parking lot, and the drive in and out. Not really a large concern at the games because usually there's already a police presence there (that is if the school hosting is competent and makes sure to request that of the police...or, the police are on the ball and know there's a game on). The chance of a shooting at an event, especially at the actual athletes, is pretty low.

Like I said above, the chance that the athletes are going to be shot is low. I just don't get this irrational fear of The South Side. Generally, it's not that bad.

Chuck

Fear isn't necessarily the only motivator. Wanting to keep your kids away from the dystopian ghetto is reason enough. Kids are already exposed to enough violent, tribal barbarians in the news stories about Palestine and Somalia, they don't need to visit it firsthand.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I understand and agree. But these kids, and by extension, parents, signed up to be athletes for their school. The shouldn't be forfeiting games because they have some hysteria of getting shot. For gods sake, you're an athlete representing your school. Have some Fing backbone and pride, and go compete. I bet the athletes are disgusted by their parents actions (at least I'd hope they'd be)...

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Ok 20 people were shot overnight in Chicago. TWENTY.

What the f is wrong with these idiots?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
This is yet another example of how no matter what a school decides to do, someone's gonna whine. If they had gone to the game, someone would've pulled a Helen Lovejoy "Oh, won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!?!?!". And as we can see from their decision not to go, they still get criticized.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Madison Avenue.

For those not from Chicago this is the border, the line in the sand, the do not cross. This unassuming street running through the loop is what separates Chicagoland's north and south (which doesn't include the loop, those in the loop south of Madison are still "in the loop").

I grew up in Chicagoland's north side and have spent a good deal of time in the south side..

Vic, appreciate your post.

My dad was from the North Side. My mother was from the South Side.

After I got out of the Army in '71, I used to drive down to Wrigley. Park the cycle on Sheffield. Get a beer at the bar at the corner of Waveland and Sheffield. (I think, at that time, it was called Ray's Bleacher Bar.)

Behind the bar, running from floor to ceiling, they had a copy of Mike Royko's column on how if you were a Cubs fan you couldn't ever truly be friends with anyone that was a Sox fan.

At times, you could get beer for a quarter and admission to the center field bleachers was a dollar or so... While the Andy Frain ushers wouldn't let you bring in bottles or cans, they always let my wine skin slide. If it rained, you could retreat under the scoreboard. (There were days when there would only be a dozen, or so, of us in the center field bleachers.) If you got paranoid, you could climb up on one of the concrete fence supports along side the bleachers and check the cycle parked on Sheffield.

Didn't play baseball growing up. But I did play soccer. Played on a field next to the old Comiskey Park. Played on the old Stagg Field at U of Chicago. Played in Grant Park. Played on the junior team for the Slovaks that practised at Rockne Stadium.

Whether of not the North Side parents in the OP are judging the risk of playing on the south side appropriately, it is apparent that, over time, something has been lost.

The fact that the North Side parents have a fear of letting their children play a baseball game on the South Side is significant in itself. That is, the perception of fear is a real fact.

While likely, I wouldn't share their perception of the risk, I am sympathetic to them. What has happened to that city is a shame...

Uno

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I don't live in Chicago and I don't know the specific area involved, but if the parents perceive those areas as being dangerous for their kids to go to (or if the parents don't feel safe attending the game), then there's nothing wrong with them choosing to keep their kids out of harms way.

The real problem is that Chicago has gotten to the point where 20 people are shot every day.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't live in Chicago and I don't know the specific area involved, but if the parents perceive those areas as being dangerous for their kids to go to (or if the parents don't feel safe attending the game), then there's nothing wrong with them choosing to keep their kids out of harms way.

The real problem is that Chicago has gotten to the point where 20 people are shot every day.

I don't think they even need to justify it on fear; but rather a purposeful rejection and isolation of people who can't maintain even minimal standards of civilzed behavior (akin to Apartheid-era South Africa or Palestine now).

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Not when the thugs can go to your state and have cocksuckers sell them anything from the back of a truck and they can drive back and kill these innocent kids. You must be so proud to know your state is contributing to the carnage and suffering of Americans in another state. Here you are, smug in your attitude that Chicago is drowning in a sea of guns from Virginia and elsewhere and their gun laws can do nothing about it. You must be so proud, asshole.

I know I know. States rights and 2nd Amendment and all that:rolleyes:

You just proved the point that no matter where you ban guns, people will just bring them in from where they are not banned. That includes the US border.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
You just proved the point that no matter where you ban guns, people will just bring them in from where they are not banned. That includes the US border.

Actually, if you ban it in the entire country it's much much harder to get. I don't see many, if any, gun violence in Great Britain or Japan...

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Actually, if you ban it in the entire country it's much much harder to get. I don't see many, if any, gun violence in Great Britain or Japan...

Ah yes, progressive logic; doublethink which allows you to simultaneousky hold the idea that we should ban guns because it will reduce their numbers, but we shouldn't ban abortion because it won't reduce theirs. I guess only abortions are available in back alleys, never firearms.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Ah yes, progressive logic; doublethink which allows you to simultaneousky hold the idea that we should ban guns because it will reduce their numbers, but we shouldn't ban abortion because it won't reduce theirs. I guess only abortions are available in back alleys, never firearms.

Stay on topic, Jethro.