Chicago gun buyback program funds downstate NRA youth gun camp program

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Excellent. This is full of win on so many levels. The only way it could be better is if the rifle giveaway was one of those evil assault weapons.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/...cago-gun-turn-in-uses-money-for-gun-camp.html

A Downstate pro-gun group says it turned payouts from Chicago’s firearm buyback program last weekend into a fund-raiser for a youth summer camp — a National Rifle Association shooting camp, that is.

The city collected 5,500 guns last Saturday in the annual buyback. The city gave out $100 MasterCard gift cards for each gun and $10 cards for BB guns and replicas.

Sixty of the guns and several BB guns were turned in by the Champaign-based Guns Save Life. In return, the group received $6,240 in gift cards, said John Boch, president of the group.

Guns Save Life is known for the pro-gun signs the group posts along Interstate 57 between Chicago and Champaign. It also publishes a monthly gun journal.

Most of the money will go toward buying ammunition for an NRA youth camp in Bloomington. The rest will pay for four bolt-action rifles that will be given away to campers.

“This was rusty, non-firing junk that we turned in,” Boch said. “We are redirecting funds from people who would work against the private ownership of firearms to help introduce the next generation to shooting safely and responsibly.”

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Gun buyback programs are so full of fail. No self-respecting criminal is going to turn in a gun for 100 dollars, let alone one that was used in the commission of a crime since police check each gun to see if it was used in a crime and take down the owners private information prior to accepting said firearm. In fact guns owned by criminals can and do fetch a lot more money on the black market that surpasses the risk and amount gained by turning in a gun at these events.

In addition no self-respecting law abiding gun owner would turn in a working firearm for a measly 100 bucks when they could very easily get rid of any working firearm for way more then 100 dollars in the legal market. All told when you tally up the non-working crap weapons and the effects on crime stats these programs basically have a minimal, if not a no impact on the actual crime stats that are worth measuring in general.

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
So is it yet legal for me to walk around with a flamethrower?

Does the NRA support flamethrowers?

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
I'm friends with some of the GSL members on facebook. They posted some pictures of the guns they were turning in. They were all in REALLY poor condition. Just like the picture from the article shows, at least two were held together with duct tape.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's good to see something of value came out of the program. I had always assumed that the money from those programs went to booze and crack.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So is it yet legal for me to walk around with a flamethrower?

Does the NRA support flamethrowers?

Translation : I don't know shit about the subject and I want to parade my ignorance by being a dumb fuck.

Congratulations Moosey you succeeded.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why would you sell a gun for $100? Gah! This hurts my head!

Junk guns. I have an old Raven 25 that I paid $40 for that I'd sell for $100. I also have a badly damaged 22 rifle that I'd dump as well. $200 for six pounds of scrap steel is a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.