Chicago - Dan Ryan and Construction

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
We are going to be driving through/past Chicago on Friday, coming from Michigan and heading north into Wisconsin.

What is the best way through? The Dan Ryan website recommends some side streets including Lakeshore that run parrallel to the expressway. Is this more for people who may need to get INTO Chicago for work or whatever?

If we are passing through, is it worth it to go the extra distance to 294 around the city?

We should be passing through Chicago around 10am.

Any advice on how to best get through there would be appreciated. Thanks!

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Where are you going in Wisconsin?

If you are going toward Madison or something away from Lake Michigan, absolutely take 94/294/290/90. I just did that last weekend.

I don't know about the interstates closer to downtown since I didn't go that way. Maybe someone from Chicago can help you.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Having had to deliver out of Hammond IN through the city to WI I would say leave a hell of alot earlier ( lhad to leave and be in the city by 5:30 am of traffic would be extreamly bad. Being there by 10am and the way traffic is just in Indiana getting to the IL border is going to be murder. There isnt going to be any good way to go. 294 will be a parking lot around that time jsut starting to thin out from rush hour. If you can at all I would highly reccomend leavign extreamly early to make it near the city by 5:30 am or its not really going to matter what way your going to go you will be screwed.

OH and on your way back try to leave WI around dinner time or later because the traffic coming into the city from WI around 7-9a was bumper to bumper from almost the WI border all the way into the city. Everytime I went north and saw that kind of traffic I couldnt understand why some people would do that to themselves every day.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
You do know that Murphy's Law always applies whenever travelling Chicago, right? Everything's bad almost all the time - there's always construction everywhere. I'd take Lakeshore Drive just because if I have to be miserable stuck in traffic, I might as well have something to look at.

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
If you aren't stopping downtown, DO NOT take the Dan Ryan. Like Midlander said, bypass the city by any means possible.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Wife and I did this a few weeks ago. Went early saturday morning and went right through town, not good but not too bad due to lower traffic being Saturday. Came back 294-94-80,90 on a Wednesday. Construction from hell..it was a nightmare. I would stay away from that town totally, try Iowa.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
A few months ago some dipshit drove a pylon into our companies fiber cable that was buried underground. They drove it right next to one of our locate flags. They must have some real winners working on that project.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
oh god i feel sorry for you. its summmer so that means all tollway's etc will be ******.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
A few months ago some dipshit drove a pylon into our companies fiber cable that was buried underground. They drove it right next to one of our locate flags. They must have some real winners working on that project.

wha?

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy
oh god i feel sorry for you. its summmer so that means all tollway's etc will be ******.

Ahh yes. Try and get one of those toll pass things. If you try paying cash you are taking life into your own hands. With the new drive through toll ways they make you cross like 7 lanes and merge back over 7 lanes just to pay like 35 cents.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Antisocial Virge
Originally posted by: waggy

Ahh yes. Try and get one of those toll pass things. If you try paying cash you are taking life into your own hands. With the new drive through toll ways they make you cross like 7 lanes and merge back over 7 lanes just to pay like 35 cents.

Ipass. yes get one cost you $40 upfront but all tolls are half price with it. also it does not have a timelimit so you can use it 2+ years or whatever.