Chicago Cops Burglarized U.S. Rep’s Office as Protest Raged. They Made Popcorn, Drank Coffee, Napped.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Whats hilarious is most of this shit (or at least a huge chunk of it) is in northern blue states.

But hey - make sure to give the government more money. I'm sure they will be held accountable.
Pretty sure this happens everywhere. Its Northern blue states that have a problem with this stuff. In the Southern red states they don't seem to give a crap about authoritarian ideas unless it personally affects them. So, basically, you only hear about it from people that disagree with it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Whats hilarious is most of this shit (or at least a huge chunk of it) is in northern blue states.

But hey - make sure to give the government more money. I'm sure they will be held accountable.

lol. you live in the epicenter of asset forfeiture you dumb fucking chump.

half of your fucktard state can't even survive if the local PD and DA aren't steeling shit from people that drive through their shithole towns.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I saw that in the news. Made me angry.
I honestly believe American police culture is just terrible, and they need to be swept away en masse.
Not suggesting punishment. Just do whats needed for the good of the whole, not a select few who've convinced themselves they are special.

Reactions: dank69

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, so looking over this thread, there is somebody I clearly need to put on ignore.

Not because he's making logical arguments contrary to mine, because he's making illogical arguments contrary to reality.

Reactions: Pohemi

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Sorry, but something looks fishy here. How did the cops get into the office even if they were responding to a burglary and why didn’t they show the whole CCTV video instead of screenshots. Did the cops have a master key or did someone from Rush’s campaign let them in? I’ll wait for the whole story and CCTV video before I judge the situation. If they did what was alleged then they need to be fired. Let’s see what happens.

Original article title has been updated.
Editor’s note: This headline has been updated to reflect that the police officers are accused of loitering inside Congressman Bobby Rush’s office after responding to a call there. They were not accused of burglarizing the office.

A few more details.
This article tends to be blue leaning but has a few more details than most MSM.

More local news details.

Reactions: HurleyBird
Feb 4, 2009
Sorry, but something looks fishy here. How did the cops get into the office even if they were responding to a burglary and why didn’t they show the whole CCTV video instead of screenshots. Did the cops have a master key or did someone from Rush’s campaign let them in? I’ll wait for the whole story and CCTV video before I judge the situation. If they did what was alleged then they need to be fired. Let’s see what happens.

Original article title has been updated.

A few more details.
This article tends to be blue leaning but has a few more details than most MSM.

More local news details.

As I said earlier:

Ignoring all of the above, don’t they have a code of conduct not to nap on the job.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
We need to replicate this country's experience here:
The government started with the traffic police and abolished the whole force in July 2004. The government fired around 30,000 police officers to create a new corruption-free force. Around 85 percent of the police, approximately 15,000 policeman within a day, were fired and the hiring of new staff began.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
How corrupt were Georgian police compared to American cops? And what sort of corruption? How do they compare post-reform? Any kind of comparison there is going to need a lot of analysis to account for confounds.

Mar 11, 2004
We need to replicate this country's experience here:

Can we trade Georgias? That Georgia gets away from Russia and all the shit that includes, while our Georgia gets the greenlight for its corruption. Plus Coca-Cola can rip through Russia worse than Crocodil giving their population diabetes.

I remember reading about that around when it happened.

I also recall some other place that removed all its traffic signals and signs and found it massively improved things as drivers then had to become very attentive to where they were going.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Can we trade Georgias? That Georgia gets away from Russia and all the shit that includes, while our Georgia gets the greenlight for its corruption. Plus Coca-Cola can rip through Russia worse than Crocodil giving their population diabetes.

I also recall some other place that removed all its traffic signals and signs and found it massively improved things as drivers then had to become very attentive to where they were going.

Oh man, that sounds scary to me. I'm a mobile employee, and many people drive like it's YOLO last day on earth.

• Haha

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I clearly wasn't approving of their obnoxious behavior. I was making a legal point. All theft isn't burglary. You have to break and enter the premises illegally before you steal in order for it to be burglary. If you had a right to enter but stole something after you did, then it's larceny, in this case, petty theft, not burglary, which is a felony.

Might be helpful for people to learn some legal distinctions.

Larceny is common theft, which can be a misdemeanor or felony depending on the value of what was stolen. Shoplifting, where the customer had the right to be there but stole something, is larceny. Sometimes larceny is just called "theft" in the statutes. The two words have the same meaning.

Burglary is illegally breaking and entering with the intent to commit larceny (petty or grand) or any felony. If you break into someone's house and commit rape, you're guilty of both burglary and rape, even if you didn't steal.

Robbery is theft by force or threat of force. Like a stick-up. Hence, when people say "my house was robbed" that is not legally accurate.

State statutes may vary, but these are the most typical definitions.

It was more than 20 bux right? So why weren't they asphyxiating each other to death?

• Haha

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I clearly wasn't approving of their obnoxious behavior. I was making a legal point. All theft isn't burglary. You have to break and enter the premises illegally before you steal in order for it to be burglary. If you had a right to enter but stole something after you did, then it's larceny, in this case, petty theft, not burglary, which is a felony.

Might be helpful for people to learn some legal distinctions.

Larceny is common theft, which can be a misdemeanor or felony depending on the value of what was stolen. Shoplifting, where the customer had the right to be there but stole something, is larceny. Sometimes larceny is just called "theft" in the statutes. The two words have the same meaning.

Burglary is illegally breaking and entering with the intent to commit larceny (petty or grand) or any felony. If you break into someone's house and commit rape, you're guilty of both burglary and rape, even if you didn't steal.

Robbery is theft by force or threat of force. Like a stick-up. Hence, when people say "my house was robbed" that is not legally accurate.

State statutes may vary, but these are the most typical definitions.

I understand what you're saying here. The issue would still be hard to maneuver as cops can just manufacture probable cause: "I heard a noise", "I smelled something burning", "you were driving erratically". Policing the police seems like the biggest issue for this matter.

Mar 11, 2004
Oh man, that sounds scary to me. I'm a mobile employee, and many people drive like it's YOLO last day on earth.

Right, but that's the thing, the drivers slowed the fuck down and paid a LOT more attention, because they had to or else they were gonna not get where they wanted to go.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

You don't think things through. Notice how all the right-wing protests against masks happened in states with Democratic governors? These cops were essentially protesting their libtard mayor or whatever. Once again, the root cause is not liberalism, it is conservatives that can't handle democracy when they don't get their way and lose their shit.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Right, but that's the thing, the drivers slowed the fuck down and paid a LOT more attention, because they had to or else they were gonna not get where they wanted to go.

That's ideal, I'm just saying I wouldn't be out there if I could help it until the drivers adapted

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Well, on the plus side at least the truly bad "terrorists" weren't out assaulting people with tear gas etc. It's like Trump playing golf--yeah he's a hypocritical asshole who spends a lot of money doing it, but it's the least harmful thing he does so don't disturb him.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm sure it will be fine:
BogusBadIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well, on the plus side at least the truly bad "terrorists" weren't out assaulting people with tear gas etc. It's like Trump playing golf--yeah he's a hypocritical asshole who spends a lot of money doing it, but it's the least harmful thing he does so don't disturb him.
Well, except for all the taxpayer money going right into his pocket every time he does it.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Trying to derail the discussion again?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Taking someones popcorn KINDA is a WEE bit different than taking TVs.

My wife has said at work that assholes will eat your stuff in the refrigerator if you leave it there. There are apparently giant asshats that feel that is acceptable behavior for whatever reason.

verb
gerund or present participle: looting
  1. steal goods from (a place), typically during a war or riot.

No it's not. It's literally the very definition of looting. It doesn't matter the price tag or value on the items looted. Looting is looting. Stealing is stealing.
Quit trying to justify or lessen what they did. ALL of these cops should be arrested for stealing/looting. There's likley a litany of other items that they should have thrown at them too. Fucking nerve...

Feb 4, 2009
My wife has said at work that assholes will eat your stuff in the refrigerator if you leave it there. There are apparently giant asshats that feel that is acceptable behavior for whatever reason.

I would would fire them pretty much immediately. The person stole her property. This is assuming it was something no normal person could get confused as in you did not bring lunch and you took a lunch or the lunch was in a bag that couldn’t possibly be confused with another.
Minor edit: I would issue one warning shot first, at group meeting/group email sent out to say lunches are going missing, be careful and mark your lunch, BTW taking a lunch that is not yours is theft.
Around 10 years ago I fired two guys and the whole thing began as them messing with each other’s lunch orders. I didn’t fire them for that but that’s what started it.
Back to the Cops, I am making an assumption that there is a no napping policy while on the clock, even if there isn’t a no napping policy which would be incredibly irresponsible for the PD not to have, I would happily stand before a Judge or more likely an arbitrator show the video and explain when one is napping they are not working thus they falsified the hours they worked.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

The other Georgia has since went downhill and elected a Russia backed crook too.