Chicago Cops Burglarized U.S. Rep’s Office as Protest Raged. They Made Popcorn, Drank Coffee, Napped.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This is a WTF moment.

The mayor, LoriLightfoot was angry at the press conference.
"Lightfoot, at times visibly angry and tearful during the Thursday press conference, said the officers “demonstrated a total disregard for their colleagues [and] f
or the badge” and should be held accountable. She said she and her team were “enraged” when they learned of the incident. None of the 13 officers has been
identified, and she urged them to come forward before investigators find them. ".

This from the Congressman Bobby Rush, whose office they broke into.
"“They even had the unmitigated gall to make coffee for themselves and to pop popcorn, my popcorn, in my microwave,
while looters were tearing apart businesses within their sight and within their reach,” Rush (D-IL) said. "

I guess the plus side is that these 13 weren't outside beating protesters.
1591912993209.png

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I'm sure the usual suspects will be along to tell us how this is ok for them to be doing because they were fearful for their lives and that a tea party is exactly what they should have been having while looting was taking place within sight of them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This accurately portrays every interaction I ever had with CPD. Too fucking lazy to do much of anything except hassle black/brown people.

The city has added a ton of cops in recent decades at great expense. Should have invested that cash in jobs programs for low income youth and social services instead.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
OK, not a burglary as they were initially responding to a complaint that the office had been burglarized by others. As to their behavior after they got there, WTF? It's like if a neighbor called the cops while you were away to report a possible burglary. The police get there and find no burglary, then they hang out for several hours, watching your TV, eating your food, going through your wife's panty drawer, and who knows what else.

Reactions: Aegeon and Pohemi

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
OK, not a burglary as they were initially responding to a complaint that the office had been burglarized by others. As to their behavior after they got there, WTF? It's like if a neighbor called the cops while you were away to report a possible burglary. The police get there and find no burglary, then they hang out for several hours, watching your TV, eating your food, going through your wife's panty drawer, and who knows what else.

Just because someone else burglarized it first does not make what they did any less burglary.
Yes, they maybe had the right to go into the building to check it out. Once they started taking the coffee and popcorn in the building they were just stealing like any other burglar.

Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Just because someone else burglarized it first does not make what they did any less burglary.
Yes, they maybe had the right to go into the building to check it out. Once they started taking the coffee and popcorn in the building they were just stealing like any other burglar.

I clearly wasn't approving of their obnoxious behavior. I was making a legal point. All theft isn't burglary. You have to break and enter the premises illegally before you steal in order for it to be burglary. If you had a right to enter but stole something after you did, then it's larceny, in this case, petty theft, not burglary, which is a felony.

Might be helpful for people to learn some legal distinctions.

Larceny is common theft, which can be a misdemeanor or felony depending on the value of what was stolen. Shoplifting, where the customer had the right to be there but stole something, is larceny. Sometimes larceny is just called "theft" in the statutes. The two words have the same meaning.

Burglary is illegally breaking and entering with the intent to commit larceny (petty or grand) or any felony. If you break into someone's house and commit rape, you're guilty of both burglary and rape, even if you didn't steal.

Robbery is theft by force or threat of force. Like a stick-up. Hence, when people say "my house was robbed" that is not legally accurate.

State statutes may vary, but these are the most typical definitions.

Last edited:
Reactions: fskimospy

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Honestly, with the other shit we are seeing from the pilice, doing nothing may actually have been the best thing for these guys to be doing. That said, they should do this not on the clock so we could charge them with petty theft.

Reactions: fskimospy
Feb 4, 2009
Ignoring all of the above, don’t they have a code of conduct not to nap on the job.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Their dgaf is just naked now, dgaf and proud

They're also totally busted, which is as it should be. I'd hate to be their Union Rep. I mean, 13 cops decide to hang out at the scene of a burglary with active looting in the vicinity? How'd they organize the slacking, anyway?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
They're also totally busted, which is as it should be. I'd hate to be their Union Rep. I mean, 13 cops decide to hang out at the scene of a burglary with active looting in the vicinity? How'd they organize the slacking, anyway?

I think it speaks to both their intelligence and the people typically hired. They think they're above the law, and don't understand how recording video works.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think it speaks to both their intelligence and the people typically hired. They think they're above the law, and don't understand how recording video works.

Newer cameras can be quite tiny & easily concealed. They never knew it was there.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Sounds like minneapolis PD isn't the only one that should be disbanded and reformed.

Nov 8, 2012
Whats hilarious is most of this shit (or at least a huge chunk of it) is in northern blue states.

But hey - make sure to give the government more money. I'm sure they will be held accountable.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Whats hilarious is most of this shit (or at least a huge chunk of it) is in northern blue states.

But hey - make sure to give the government more money. I'm sure they will be held accountable.

How is racism hilarious, and since when is Ohio considered a northern blue state?

I assure you, my solid blue state of MA has its fair share of racism. It not comical at all, it's sad.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
Um, how is this not also looting?

Taking someones popcorn KINDA is a WEE bit different than taking TVs.

My wife has said at work that assholes will eat your stuff in the refrigerator if you leave it there. There are apparently giant asshats that feel that is acceptable behavior for whatever reason.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

My wife has said at work that assholes will eat your stuff in the refrigerator if you leave it there. There are apparently giant asshats that feel that is acceptable behavior for whatever reason.
Some fucker keeps stealing food out of the fridge at her home as well.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and iRONic

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Now imagine those people with a badge, gun, and a superiority complex

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The idea that this is geographically isolated is hilarious.

Like the arguments I used to hear about how country folk aren’t like the big city until you’re getting shaken down by the sheriff who shares last names with the mayor and county judge. What a bunch of bullshit.