Chicago Cops Burglarized U.S. Rep’s Office as Protest Raged. They Made Popcorn, Drank Coffee, Napped.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Did this article actually surprise anybody?
Doesn't everybody know that the looting and rioting is instigated by the police departments?
They want more looting, they want to turn protests into riots. It benefits them.

Its very hard to vilify peaceful protesters, very easy to vilify them if even just a small handful get involved in trouble-making.

Very simple propaganda narrative.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
As I said earlier:

Ignoring all of the above, don’t they have a code of conduct not to nap on the job.

I guess it would depend. If the cops are working double+ shifts/long hours because of the protesting, looting and rioting they need to take breaks every so often to eat, drink coffee, take a power nap, go to the bathroom, etc. That's what this looks like to me but I could be wrong. I would expect cops to have a SOP for rotating personal back and forth to the "front lines" to provide some relief in situations like this. I'll let the investigation complete.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Police union's questionable response. I'll wait for the investigation to complete and the entire video to be released. According to the news reports Rush's people have the entire CCTV video. They should be able to rewind to the point when the police showed up to see how they gained access to the office and if they interacted with someone on site. I'm not sure why they have not done it already. It would seem more damning if they caught the cops breaking in and making themselves at home with no invite.

Chicago police union leader, John Catanzara, tells the I-Team officers were deployed to Congressman Bobby Rush's campaign office after a request for protection from Rush's staffers. Catanzara says the officers were told to make themselves at home.
"Everybody was gone, the looting occurred, all afternoon in that mall, there was nothing left. They broke those windows earlier...somebody sent the police there to protect it from being further looted and destroyed. And I'm being told that actually calls came from Bobby Rush's people to go protect the office and make themselves at home quote unquote," said Catanzara.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Allegedly the police were called there to protect the office. They weren't given a lunch break and apparently the lunches they packed were destroyed in the looting, so when they got to Rush's office they ate and drank what they could find. Allegedly.

Dec 10, 2005
Allegedly the police were called there to protect the office. They weren't given a lunch break and apparently the lunches they packed were destroyed in the looting, so when they got to Rush's office they ate and drank what they could find. Allegedly.

Perhaps that is true, but the CPD, like so many other police forces, have a known penchant for lying, so it's hard for me to take them at only their word.