Chicago Called Most Corrupt City In Nation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
Yes, but just like the first Civil war, Chicago would win.

You need to brush up on your history.

A huge part of the Union Army was made up of Illinois soldiers.

illinois does not equal chicago.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
illinois does not equal chicago.

I'm sure if you gave the population of Chicago a bunch of small arms they'd be the best fighting force in the world.... Right? I mean, everyone in Chicago is a master at arms, after all. :cool:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
The data is based on Public corruption Convictions.

I'd wager my city/state has more corruption, we just aren't as good as Chicago when it comes to putting our corrupt politicians in jail.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
On the contrary, IL is a very red state. Cook County and St. Claire County just fuck it all up. Outside of the two corrupt bungholes of the state (Chicago and East St. Louis), it is very red. I know what you meant though. ;)

Also, it shouldn't be surprising that these same two cities (plus Peoria) happen to have their own dedicated election boards outside the county election boards. Kinda screams corruption right there.

You realize that's true of basically every state, right? Suburban and rural areas tend to be conservative. Urban areas are usually very liberal. The reason why those areas 'fuck up' the state is because so much of the actual population lives there.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You realize that's true of basically every state, right? Suburban and rural areas tend to be conservative. Urban areas are usually very liberal. The reason why those areas 'fuck up' the state is because so much of the actual population lives there.

/this.

IL is really fucked up. IF you don't live in Chicago or Chicago area you get fucked. The farther you go from Chicago the worse it gets.

The Daley family is a big reason why IL is so damn corrupt. they had MAJOR power in IL. Add in all of cicero (far to much to list) georce ryan and blago its a joke.

but nothing will change.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
The data is based on Public corruption Convictions.

I'd wager my city/state has more corruption, we just aren't as good as Chicago when it comes to putting our corrupt politicians in jail.

That's a pretty biased way to do the study.

If City A and City B had the same shady back room dealings, but City A put twice as many of the bad politicians in jail as City B, wouldn't that make City A less corrupt than City B? At least City A is doing something about the problem.

That's not to say that more convictions proves that Chicago is less corrupt either, as you (theoretically) can't convict someone of something they didn't do.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Good job ignoring my last statement. This is the reason why, at least in the case of IL, things are all fucked up. Well done sir.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Good job ignoring my last statement. This is the reason why, at least in the case of IL, things are all fucked up. Well done sir.

Thanks? I wasn't addressing your last statement, I was addressing your first. Why would I not ignore statements that I wasn't referring to?

I'll try to clip your quotes more carefully in the future to avoid confusion. What I was telling you was that of course Illinois is a red state if you take out the cities. Every state is a red state if you take out the cities. The only problem with that is cities are where most people live.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Thanks? I wasn't addressing your last statement, I was addressing your first. Why would I not ignore statements that I wasn't referring to?

I'll try to clip your quotes more carefully in the future to avoid confusion. What I was telling you was that of course Illinois is a red state if you take out the cities. Every state is a red state if you take out the cities. The only problem with that is cities are where most people live.

Care to back that up? Also your last sentence is strange. Problem not found. :confused:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Care to back that up? Also your last sentence is strange. Problem not found. :confused:

No, I don't care to go pull voter registration information on party ID for every urban congressional district in America. It's possible that maybe a state like Vermont or perhaps Hawaii would stay blue even without its cities but they would be large exceptions.

What I wrote isn't a controversial idea at all. Urban areas vote Democratic.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
No, I don't care to go pull voter registration information on party ID for every urban congressional district in America. It's possible that maybe a state like Vermont or perhaps Hawaii would stay blue even without its cities but they would be large exceptions.

What I wrote isn't a controversial idea at all. Urban areas vote Democratic.

Especially when they get their one elections board separate from the less urban areas that encompass their voting block. :rolleyes:

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Completely unsurprising. The amount of cronyism that goes on around here is staggering. I would not trust ANY politician that comes from Chicago or it's surrounding area.

No other state can brag that 4 out of their last 7 governors have been jailed. None.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Chicago is run by Dems but Illinois Republicans are corrupt as well. Remember George Ryan?

Jim Edgar who is regarded as one of the best governers in IL history, and recentishly, repub.

Blago has eclipsed everything Ryan did, who's main corruption was illegal CDL's I beleive.

the other IL GOV in the pen besides ryan and blago is a dem

On the contrary, IL is a very red state. Cook County and St. Claire County just fuck it all up. Outside of the two corrupt bungholes of the state (Chicago and East St. Louis), it is very red. I know what you meant though. ;)

Also, it shouldn't be surprising that these same two cities (plus Peoria) happen to have their own dedicated election boards outside the county election boards. Kinda screams corruption right there.

Winnebago CO(Rockford...duh)and some southern counties(hello handouts) vote blue usually too.

Also Champaign County does :(

Completely unsurprising. The amount of cronyism that goes on around here is staggering. I would not trust ANY politician that comes from Chicago or it's surrounding area.

No other state can brag that 4 out of their last 7 governors have been jailed. None.

LA is #2 with 3 I beleive

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Blago has eclipsed everything Ryan did, who's main corruption was illegal CDL's I beleive.

LA is #2 with 3 I beleive

what blago did was NOTHING compared to what Ryan did. Ryans schemes caused the death of a 2 adults and 6 children. Giving licenses to people who neither had the skill or training and allowing them to drive a semi is far far worse then trying to sell a damn seat in the government.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
what blago did was NOTHING compared to what Ryan did. Ryans schemes caused the death of a 2 adults and 6 children. Giving licenses to people who neither had the skill or training and allowing them to drive a semi is far far worse then trying to sell a damn seat in the government.

if you think thats all Blago did you are a sucker.

Blago destroyed the entire state so he could so profit.

but you are right, I forgot about the deaths involved in Ryans driver license scam.