Chevy volt fail, production halted for now.

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Hugo Drax, Mar 2, 2012.

1. IGBT

IGBT Lifer

it's the perfect car for liberals. Fails all cost effectiveness analysis and it's not to be judged by it's faulty end result and performance.

2. zephyrprime

zephyrprime Diamond Member

Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. It'll take time for new technology like this to come down in price.

3. 3chordcharlie

3chordcharlie Diamond Member

And when it ran out< he continued on his way with no drama at all.

Or did he purposefully have the tank empty so he could prove that the vehicle does not work when you use it exactly as not intended?

4. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

I covered this already.
    There's a reason I don't work for one of the US automakers anymore.

5. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

6. K1052

K1052 Lifer

The rumors are true, GM is taking orders for the CA specific model that can get the new HOV stickers. I doubt GM will be moving 30-40K annual units like they had hoped but I'd expect sales to pick up a lot in CA. If they can keep the line going at 10-15K per year it might carry them few years so GM invests in getting the costs down on the next model.

7. the DRIZZLE

the DRIZZLE Platinum Member

On a less boondogolish note there was an article in the WSJ today about Chrysler and GM making a pickups that can run on CNG or gasoline. Hopefully this will start a start a virtuous cycle of CNG vehicle and fueling station development. The technology is here today and we can decouple our economy from oil if we replace the NG power plants nukes and use the NG for our cars.

8. xBiffx

xBiffx Diamond Member

9. Attic

Attic Diamond Member

A few of those folks likely have the cart lined up exactly where it should be.

That placement is going to be dependent on annual miles driven and the price of gas and possibly the ability to buy under invoice by seeking out a loss leader.

For someone driving 20k miles a year, a used car at 25mpg vs a new car at 40mpg is >8k in favor of the new car alone when run over 5 years if fuel averages 4.5 a gallon. If you factor in savings in maintenance of going new you can easily be looking at a 10k favor over 5 years for going new vs used. If you consider the 5 year average cost of fuel at a possible $6 a gallon then the fuel savings alone are approaching 12k.

Getting a used, fuel efficient, cheap to maintain car is the ultimate finance victory, but MPG value is dependent for each driver and the price of gas.

The Chevy Cruze Eco is the car that comes to mind for providing exceptional value as a new car at ~20k vs a used offering at 10-12k.

#109 Attic, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012