Chevy 454 vs Hemi 426

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Good question..Richard Petty won the Datona 500 5 times in a row with the 426 hemi..mabe he knows. Although I've heard the big block chevy's and fords are generally regarded as "asphalt oilers" cause the friggin things blow up more often then not.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Depends. Price? Chevy all the way around. Performance? Nothing better than a Hemi.

Oh yeah, do a search for varius topics along the lines of ford vs. chevy. A couple of weeks ago there was a pretty good thread about big blocks and the hemi was discussed. I can't remember what the title was.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: NightFlyerGTI
Neither (don't get me started on weak points). VAG/Audi 4.2 bi-turbo 450hp V8.

I'm not a Mopar guy, but...

link

According to this, back in the 1960s, the 426 Hemi produced, in stock trim, 425 HP, 490 Ft-Lbs Torque through factory cast-iron headers. None of this "bi-turbo" crap... (come to think of it, it would be fun to see just how much horsepower you could wring out of one of these badass motors) You have to respect that... The 426 was definitely no wussie engine.

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

link

According to this, back in the 1960s, the 426 Hemi produced, in stock trim, 425 HP, 490 Ft-Lbs Torque through factory cast-iron headers. None of this "bi-turbo" crap... (come to think of it, it would be fun to see just how much horsepower you could wring out of one of these badass motors) You have to respect that... The 426 was definitely no wussie engine.

1960s?!?! Oh god. You guys are drooling over 40yo technology. What improvements have been done since then?

fronic2

Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: TuffGuy

link

1960s?!?! Oh god. You guys are drooling over 40yo technology. What improvements have been done since then?

Imagine an all out mixing of the two technologies:
426 hemi bi-turbo NOX breather, twin overhead cams with VTECH.
The mind boggles at the all out haul-ass possibilities.
All you need is MONEY

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: fronic2
Originally posted by: TuffGuy

link

Imagine an all out mixing of the two technologies:
426 hemi bi-turbo NOX breather, twin overhead cams with VTECH.
The mind boggles at the all out haul-ass possibilities.
All you need is MONEY

Yeah, but that doesn't come stock does it? Stock you're still getting basically 40 year old technology right?

440sixpack

May 30, 2000
(come to think of it, it would be fun to see just how much horsepower you could wring out of one of these badass motors) You have to respect that... The 426 was definitely no wussie engine.

Well, to answer that question - Top Fuel motors (the absolute top end of drag racing) use 500 c.i. hemis - and those motors put out an estimated 5000 - 7000 hp. Granted that's supercharged on nitromethane, but it shows the capabilities of the hemi.

Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

Can you please not crap on one non-VW thread?

My apologies. Really.

As i mentioned before, you are the PERFECT replacement for Jerboy as the most annoying member on this board. Congrats.

Isn't it nice to have your own opinion? :)

On topic, I'd go with the Hemi- it does make some incredible power with new technology, and it will be interesting to see what kinds of applications the new iteration will be used for. How much difference is there between it and the Viper's V10?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
It depends on what you mean by "better". As has been mentioned before, Fuel cars use a variation of the hemi.
But nobody can afford one of those, and they are good for only one thing.

For normal performance use, hot rodding, drag racing on a local basis, the Big Block Chevrolet is unmatched.

Go to your local dragstrip on a weekend when they have a bracket race going on, and just look at all the real race cars and notice what kind of engines they use. Primarily the Big Block Chevrolet. They last, they can be built to any power level you can afford, and parts are very accessible.

I'll be the first to agree, hemi's are very cool, and certain Dodge cars simply must be equipped with one to be a total package, IMO, but for practical use, the Big Block Chevrolet is the way to go. Small Block Chevy is the 2nd choice.
The proof is in the pudding, just go to a dragstrip and look.

440sixpack

May 30, 2000
Yeah, probably the hemi's biggest flaw is the price. Amazing power, but not cheap. 'Course, the rarity of them just adds to the mystique. :) If you want a real arguement on this, pose the question at Moparts.com. Sure we're a little Mopar biased there, but there's some very knowledgeable folks there. ;)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
1960s?!?! Oh god. You guys are drooling over 40yo technology. What improvements have been done since then..
Name a new "Technology" that makes you drool.... I can prolly shoot it down in a matter of seconds :) Everything has pro's and con's in life, you need to accept it.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The Hemi is a truely awesome engine, the major drawbacks that it has vs. the BB chevy is they discontinued it's use in production vehicles around 1972 so the Chevy has alot more R&D into it. Also, the hemi isn't cheap. iirc, a 426 Hemi crate motor runs about $14k, and a 528 Hemi runs about $23k but will get you 650HP (these are from Mopar, consider that a Viper motor is only about 16k). A 440HP 502 chevy BB crate motor is about $4k (from GM), which leaves alot of money to get parts to match the Hemi.

Although (IMO) the Chrystler Hemi is superior to the Chevy BB, the cost and availability of parts simply puts it out of reach of all but the guys with the highest of budgets.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
440sixpack

Thats actually my motor of choice from Mopar... cheaper to build and made like a tank, can power it to within an inch of it's life and it will take it all. A nice charger with a 440 6 pack and some sweet heads... I'll take that any day :)

but for practical use, the Big Block Chevrolet is the way to go. Small Block Chevy is the 2nd choice.

Thats another very good point... aftermarket Mopar is extremely weak, while GM has been ahead from the start... go to Edelbrock... holley.. or any of the other big names GM is always the 1st to be made... open a Summit or Jegs catalog and 97% of all the pages will say GM BB or SB all over the place.. valve covers, cam's piston stroker kits they are a dime a dozen... mopar you are pretty much stuck with getting Mopar parts.

bigben

Jan 8, 2000
hells bells y'all.............i am suprised that no one has ever seen a "hemi" sticker on a ricer. I mean, screw type-r stickers all over hyundais, just slap a sticker that says hemi or mopar on the front.

mopar hyundai.....now that is the shaznit

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Dodge is coming out with a new hemi engine this year! Woot! I want one.

Now, as for which is better.... It all depends. If I were going to put it in a truck I was building it would probably be a 454 or 350 just because I have had way more experence with them, and the parts can be found cheaper. If I were doing it cor some serius power, I would go hemi all the way. More expensive, yes. but more mistique and more power.