Cheney criticized Trump foreign policy in closed-door event

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The sad part is that Cheney is right!!
Cheney is also one of the first Republicans to come out against TRUMP!!
But let us be fair to Cheney -- he has nothing to lose in being vocal against!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cheney-c...y-closed-door-event-000615805--politics.html\
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Dick Cheney criticized President Donald Trump's foreign policy, even comparing it with that of former President Barack Obama, in a striking rebuke of the president by a member of his own party.

Speaking with Vice President Mike Pence this weekend at a closed-door retreat hosted by the American Enterprise Institute in Sea Island, Georgia, Cheney warned that American allies were questioning the dependability of the U.S. as a result of the Trump's public statements. Cheney, known for his hawkish foreign policy views, specifically highlighted Trump's public complaints about the role of NATO and the surprise announcement of the withdrawal of troops from Syria.

Cheney's remarks, which were first reported Monday by The Washington Post, were confirmed by a person in the room. The person requested anonymity because of the conference's off-the-record nature.

Cheney also raised alarm over news reports that Trump does not spend sufficient time with his intelligence briefers as well as over frequent staff churn in key national security postings. Cheney also suggested repeatedly that Trump's transactional view of foreign policy — including a focus on what allies contribute to their defense — was misguided.

There is more...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The history books will one day decide who has been worse for U.S. foreign policy. Trump with his alienation of American allies, his tariff wars, and his making a mockery of the US around the world.

Or Cheney, with his warmongering, the effects of which are still being felt.

For today, it's still hard to say. At least until Trump's time in office is over. Maybe Cheney is bucking to be awarded second worst.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The history books will one day decide who has been worse for U.S. foreign policy. Trump with his alienation of American allies, his tariff wars, and his making a mockery of the US around the world.

For today, it's still hard to say. At least until Trump's time in office is over. Maybe Cheney is bucking to be awarded second worst.

It's not either or, a common fallacy of trying to look at things as some sort lesser of two evils, or my guy is not as bad as your guy.

The cumulative effects of the failures of domestic and foreign policies Bush, Clinton, Obama, along with Congress over the last 30 years is why Trump was able to be elected today and Cheney's multi trillion dollar boondoggle in Iraq is no small part of those failures.

Reactions: JEDIYoda
Feb 4, 2009
I’ve had to accept some love for

Spicer
Cohen
Sessions
Kelly
Mooche
Exxon/Friend of Russia award winner

I draw the fucking line at Cheney.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I’ve had to accept some love for

Spicer
Cohen
Sessions
Kelly
Mooche
Exxon/Friend of Russia award winner

I draw the fucking line at Cheney.

No love here either. Bush was unable to control three people that he should have, Cheney, Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld. These were the ones who knew what they were doing and embraced it. Still, if anyone said "DON'T STEP IN FRONT OF THE SPEEDING BUS" I'd look before leaping.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If Dick Cheney was against what you were doing personally, wouldn't you feel you're probably doing something right?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If Dick Cheney was against what you were doing personally, wouldn't you feel you're probably doing something right?

Cheney is wrong on most things, but he's right that you shouldn't backstab your allies and play into Russia's hands, like Trump is doing.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Yea, I'm not feeling any better about this situation cause Cheney says.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
"Fuck our allies* ... GO RUSSIA!

*Does not include Saudi Arabia for reasons."

-Donald Trump

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I disagree, it's pretty easy to see who's foreign policy was the worst and it's hands down bush/Cheney. This should be obvious by asking one question; what's the longest war we've been involved in and are STILL involved in?

Trump is bad but his foreign policy is bad in a humiliating way not in a 100k's-millions of people have died as a result of bad policies.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I disagree, it's pretty easy to see who's foreign policy was the worst and it's hands down bush/Cheney. This should be obvious by asking one question; what's the longest war we've been involved in and are STILL involved in?

Trump is bad but his foreign policy is bad in a humiliating way not in a 100k's-millions of people have died as a result of bad policies.

Yes, I would agree, but my point is that Trump isn't finished yet. If Trump's presidency ended today, then yes, Bush/Cheney were worse. Essentially we are comparing 8 years of one to two years of the other. Trump has the potential to do far more harm than he already has.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Cheney is wrong on most things, but he's right that you shouldn't backstab your allies and play into Russia's hands, like Trump is doing.

Making the M.E. a raging dumpster fire plays right into Russia's hands. Cheney is one of the last guys to take advice on foreign policy from.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Dick Cheney was the first person in the federal Government that I could say that I despised.
1990-ish back when he served under Bush Sr.

When his name popped up along with Rumsfeld during the Bush jr's run....all I could think of was how these old dinosaaurs with their shitty think tank ideas were going to screw us over if Bush won.
Hate being right on the money.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, I would agree, but my point is that Trump isn't finished yet. If Trump's presidency ended today, then yes, Bush/Cheney were worse. Essentially we are comparing 8 years of one to two years of the other. Trump has the potential to do far more harm than he already has.

Yes, I would agree with this. One of the things that is baffling/enraging to me is that somehow, for some inexplicable reason, the architects of the Iraq War are still considered authorities on foreign policy. John Bolton is the fucking National Security Adviser, for example.

These people engineered one of the most calamitous foreign policy errors of the last 40 years and people still treat them like they're experts. They applied their expertise, and they failed. Maybe if they had claimed to have learned something from the experience and changed their views there would be something to that but even now they're still basically spouting the same shit.