Chemistry type question...

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
If you pour Listerine in a cup and let it evaporate, will the alcohol evaporate first or will the water evaporate at the same rate as the alcohol?

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
hrmm. I'm not sure.

you would think the alcohol would evaporate first, as it evaporates faster on it's own.
but i might bring the water with it. I dont know.

Why? working on a flameless listerine still? rofl :)

BCskunk

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2002
the alcohol will evaporate first..

...after a few weeks the listerine will taste much more diluted if left uncapped

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Most of the alcohol, ethanol, will evaporate first. It has a lower boiling point than water. Using a distilation apparatus you could get most of the alcohol from Listerine. But it would be easier to pay a drunk to buy beer, wine, whiskey, etc for you.

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Most of the alcohol, ethanol, will evaporate first. It has a lower boiling point than water. Using a distilation apparatus you could get most of the alcohol from Listerine. But it would be easier to pay a drunk to buy beer, wine, whiskey, etc for you.

That's not what I was thinking. I can't smoke on the job so I keep a can of skool and some listerine in my desk. I wash my mouth out with it and spit it in a cup. At the end of the day I wash the cup out in the restroom. I was just wondering about the alcohol because my desk drawer smells funny if I keep the cup in there all day.