Cheez's Guide on How to Improve Your Hearing to Become Best Audiophile in the World

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Wrong! To become the best audiophile in the world you have to stick $40,000 power cables in your ears while standing in your bathtub/water cooling system!

Alan G

Apr 25, 2013
Wrong! To become the best audiophile in the world you have to stick $40,000 power cables in your ears while standing in your bathtub/water cooling system!
....and make sure to run the power line directly into the water for the 'shock of your life.'

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
If living healthily affects your hearing, can listening to good music promote your health?

Maybe by listening to music using ultra high end audio kit in a specially designed room will make you healthy? Could even cure AIDS and cancer?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
If living healthily affects your hearing, can listening to good music promote your health?

Maybe by listening to music using ultra high end audio kit in a specially designed room will make you healthy? Could even cure AIDS and cancer?
Nope.
As South Park has shown us, only a large amount of money chopped up in a blender and drank will cure AIDS.
Buying "audiophile" equipment is pretty equivalent to throwing money in a blender, so you might be onto something after all...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Nope.
As South Park has shown us, only a large amount of money chopped up in a blender and drank will cure AIDS.
Buying "audiophile" equipment is pretty equivalent to throwing money in a blender, so you might be onto something after all...

Now let's be real here - there is a such thing as true "audiophile" equipment, which I'd prefer to call high-end audio and video equipment.
More than anything, most of it is in the things that matter most - the speakers, the subwoofers, the receiver, amplifiers, etc. Actual optical disc media player matters to a decent degree, and of course the display itself is important. (if we're talking home theater - it could just be a stereo music room without video). A power conditioner will add far more minimal results compared to the main expenses, but it can be helpful.
The quality of audio and video cables, depending on connection types, will matter. Video, for digital content, can still be very cheap. Monoprice will absolutely work for high-end video and digital audio transport. If you are made of money, more premium digital interconnects MAY produce the smallest possible difference, if anything at all.
Speaker cable, and analog interconnects of any kind, you need to be smarter about. Large gauge cable is a starting point. However, I've never bought premium speaker cable. Maybe $10-20 more for a 50ft roll than the cheapest kind, but that's at most. I'm sure I could make some improvements if I went with more premium speaker cables, but I also don't have the speakers to be able to tell if I started swapping in audiophile-grade equipment anywhere in the line.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was waiting for the list to include buy that $1000 power cable, and after you get it, make sure you bath it in liquid nitrogen for an hour and then let it warm back up to room temperature over the course of a day. Do the same with your speaker cables and especially you HDMI or optical cables.

:p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So, in other words, I'm saving myself a small fortune in audiophile gear by sticking to my bad diet and lack of exercise!

According to this audiophile fitness plan, I shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $10,000 B&W speaker set and an AM transistor radio :)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Is OP trolling everybody with joke threads like this? Or He actually seriously tried to get good advice to improve our hearing by eating fruits and vegetables?

Best way to improve your hearing is to get a door that locks so that the wife can't nag at you when you want to listen to music.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
I'm kind of curious if the OP has ever had a hearing test done and what was the lowest levels were that he heard at what frequencies.

Medikit

Feb 15, 2006
Is OP trolling everybody with joke threads like this? Or He actually seriously tried to get good advice to improve our hearing by eating fruits and vegetables?

Best way to improve your hearing is to get a door that locks so that the wife can't nag at you when you want to listen to music.

I can't tell.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'm worried that audiophile gear is preying on people with pscyhological disturbances.

Some, you could say truly does. Or at least, preys on the gullible who also have money to spare (or don't).

There's a fine line - there are plenty of things that are TRUE audiophile gear, in that, while expensive, does actually effect audio quality - but it's typically not accessories, rather, the main devices and, depending on type/length of runs, some of the interconnects.
Videophile gear is similar but a little more varied. There is good stuff out there (some for more money than others), and there is junk that may actually make things worse.

Plenty of companies have sprouted trying to cash in on the gullible - it's essentially the snake oil business. Prime example: Monster (for the most part but not totally inclusive of all products they offer).

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
The latter. I'm not trolling. This thread is serious, well, all of posts I make in the world wide web is serious, unless I mention "I am kidding" with a smiley face in the post.

Eating healthy food (fruits and vegetables) is one of the things that cause your body to function better hence improve hearing so you can listen to music better. I have also mentioned avoiding bad foods, foods that you like (CHOCOLATE M&M's, ICE CREAM, BISCUITS, CHIPS, CANDYBAR, GUMMY BEARS, and any other processed foods from the shelf AND food restaurants.

And you guys need to keep on topic or don't bother posting. Talking about speaker cables and power cables are not to be discussed in this thread. This is about improving your health and taking proper care of your ears.

cheez

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Look it up on the internet what healthy foods and avoiding bad foods do to your body, including ears. We know you like eating ice cream and potato chips.

Anybody know what's good safe way to clean out ear canals? That would be a good help and contribution for the thread. ;)

cheez

Last edited:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Look it up on the internet what healthy foods and avoiding bad foods do to your body, including ears.

cheez
Source?

Edit:
I looked it up myself, and there is zero evidence to support your claim of general health being related to hearing.
From The Mayo Clinic:
Factors that may damage or lead to loss of the hairs and nerve cells in your inner ear include:
  • Aging. Exposure to sounds over the years can damage the cells of your inner ear.
  • Heredity. Your genetic makeup may make you more susceptible to ear damage.
  • Occupational noises. Jobs where loud noise is a regular part of the working environment, such as farming, construction or factory work, can lead to damage inside your ear.
  • Recreational noises. Exposure to explosive noises, such as from firearms and fireworks, can cause immediate, permanent hearing loss. Other recreational activities with dangerously high noise levels include snowmobiling, motorcycling or listening to loud music. Personal music players, such as MP3 players, can cause lasting hearing loss if you turn the volume up high enough to mask the sound of other loud noises, such as those from a lawn mower.
  • Some medications. Drugs, such as the antibiotic gentamicin and certain chemotherapy drugs, can damage the inner ear. Temporary effects on your hearing — ringing in the ear (tinnitus) or hearing loss — can occur if you take very high doses of aspirin, other pain relievers, antimalarial drugs or loop diuretics.
  • Some illnesses. Diseases or illnesses that result in high fever, such as meningitis, may damage the cochlea.

From hearingloss.org:

Three Types of Hearing Loss
  • Conductive hearing loss - when hearing loss is due to problems with the ear canal, ear drum, or middle ear and its little bones (the malleus, incus, and stapes).
  • Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) - when hearing loss is due to problems of the inner ear, also known as nerve-related hearing loss.
  • Mixed hearing loss - refers to a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss. This means that there may be damage in the outer or middle ear and in the inner ear (cochlea) or auditory nerve.
From The American Speech Language Association:

So I ask again, what is your source for this?

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's probably no secret that I -- among quite a few people on this forum -- think that OP is a bit of a crackpot in regard to some of the things he presents, but you could probably construe a modicum of truth out of this. Now, before you start looking like this o_O, I'm not talking about your actual aural capabilities; I mean that a healthy person is most likely more alert and may be capable of enjoying the music more than a tired person.

So, is this going to truly make you enjoy music more? Eh, maybe, but that's probably only if you lead a very unhealthy lifestyle.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It's probably no secret that I -- among quite a few people on this forum -- think that OP is a bit of a crackpot in regard to some of the things he presents, but you could probably construe a modicum of truth out of this. Now, before you start looking like this o_O, I'm not talking about your actual aural capabilities; I mean that a healthy person is most likely more alert and may be capable of enjoying the music more than a tired person.

So, is this going to truly make you enjoy music more? Eh, maybe, but that's probably only if you lead a very unhealthy lifestyle.

As I had stated in my posts, I think the only truth out of this is as as you said: general health improvements usually bring the benefit of improved moods. That may help you enjoy anything more, or not.

And there's a conditioning feedback loop: good mood while listening to music you enjoy, will raise your level of happiness, which will increase the likelihood that you will enjoy listening to music more, which in time may raise your appreciation as you listen more.

There is no evidence that your physiological hearing ability can be changed for the better by doing any of this, and not everyone will have the innate frequency responses to ever fully hear everything one should hear in order to judge frequency response of speakers.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Holy crap the OP's post is exactly why people think audiophiles are morons. I'd bet 99% of the stuff is either basic knowledge (WOW NOT TOUCHING YOUR EARS AMAZING THANKS FOR THE TIP) or straight-up wives tales.

I also find it funny that the OP's sig links overpriced trash cables from some company.........that only has reviews from him. What's even more telling is he's the only one giving reviews for every product they have and anytime someone criticizes his retarded overpriced cables he just tells them to "man up and buy one if you got the money if not ask mommy" and other stupid taunts to purchase his overpriced garbage.

I'd take this with a tanker full of salt.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Oh man, the cables aren't even the worst of it. This company sells magic rocks too. http://www.coconut-audio.com/tweaks.html

Yeah, look up the youtube videos. They're pretty great if you're looking to laugh at crazy people.

If the rocks were $25 instead of $2500 I'd buy one just to file a BBB complaint and sue them for selling play dough.

EDIT: Wait, THIS IS CHEEZ's site?
http://www.coconut-audio.com/UnrealUltraCheez.html

Uhh...why is he allowed on AT?

This is comedy gold:
Contrary to what most people believe, electrical engineering has nothing to do with audiophilia, and therefore we don't have any meaningless measurements on our website. The closest way to describe the sound is by chemistry because of the way different elements change the sound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.