CheezeBurgers with Milk

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'm going to open another can of worms here and ask if anyone has a good recipe for burgers along those lines.

The town I grew up near a place that made them with onions on a huge cast-iron grill that was imported from Germany that my dad even ate them off of in the 50's in high school. It was the go to burger place in that little town even when he was growing up. It was usually mobbed as fast as they could make them on a daily basis.

Probably similar to Steak and Shake kinda sort of, or White Castle sliders, but it was even better.

I see recipes like this, and they really just look more like meatloaf/meatballs than what I remembered from that place.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/49404/juiciest-hamburgers-ever/

Just wondered if anyone has a recipe they liked to use for that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The quality of beef you start with is what it's all about. If you use poor quality beef you have to smother it in other stuff to give it flavor. Top quality ground beef needs almost no seasoning or condiments to taste good.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Just get some good quality angus beef with good amount of fat and season with some steak seasoning and (this is the important part) pan fry that sumbitch. That's how you seal in the flavor. Put the cheese on while it's still in the pan so it melts over the patty mmm mmm.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, what we have is Angus all ready.

Is what we usually get.

The burgers are usually great all ready, was just trying to maybe step it up a bit.

Maybe the place added pork to it also, we usually even do that for meatloaf.

It was pretty much farm country where the burger place was, I'd like to know what they did.

It's not even in business anymore I think, was one of those mom and pop places that died off over the years.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I still think milk was involved, it my have been straight from the cow unpasteurized whole milk even, for the fat.

I know that is a generally frowned upon thing, but I even drank that a lot on my Aunt and Uncles farm.

They had one specific cow they kept just for that, it wasn't like a large diary farm.

But even a few of my cousins even are into that these days later from then, and run diary farms.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Buy a meat grinder or if you have a stand mixer, the attachment for it. 85 percent chuck and 15 percent sirloin is a good blend. Hit it with fresh ground pepper and kosher or sea salt on both sides after shaping the patty, and push your thumb in the middle to make a depression. It will not be there when it finishes cooking, but it will keep the burger from doing that bulging thing. Thank Bobby Flay for that tip.

Point being I agree adding all that stuff is not a burger anymore. But rather making a meat loaf sandwich, not that there is anything wrong with that. I enjoy a good beef burger. The way ground beef comes from stores is subpar, so grinding your own is where the powerful juju is at.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
All excellent suggestions so far. Follow whats be posted in this thread and you will have an excellent cheeseburger.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
3 burgers per pound, liberal amounts of salt and pepper with a touch of garlic powder. Cook over charcoal flipping every 3 minutes until you hit 160 degrees.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Buy a meat grinder or if you have a stand mixer, the attachment for it. 85 percent chuck and 15 percent sirloin is a good blend. Hit it with fresh ground pepper and kosher or sea salt on both sides after shaping the patty, and push your thumb in the middle to make a depression. It will not be there when it finishes cooking, but it will keep the burger from doing that bulging thing. Thank Bobby Flay for that tip.

Point being I agree adding all that stuff is not a burger anymore. But rather making a meat loaf sandwich, not that there is anything wrong with that. I enjoy a good beef burger. The way ground beef comes from stores is subpar, so grinding your own is where the powerful juju is at.

Good points, I agree.

We've been doing the depression thing a long time now also. A silicon spoon works well for it also.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm sure grinding it on your would be even better, used to work near a German Butcher that the guy even had a separate grinder for tartar, stopped in a bit myself. I used to stop in there and buy steaks for my grandfather for a Christmas present :)

It was another small business that eventually failed because of the mega stores :(

Maybe I'm just being too nostalgic, but even around 2005 or so the place was still in business and went there with dad and the wife before he passed away and the wife even says still one of the best burgers she ever had.