Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: seemingly random
"Grady Judd is a big showboater," Robert Schumaker, the father of Stephen Schumaker, said, speaking of the Polk County sheriff. "He's got this blown out of proportion and nobody's happy about it.
Whatever sentence the kids get, the parents should get the same sentence. The parents just don't fucken get it.

I agree, the kids don't get it, their parents don't get it and the DA does not even get it, the only one that gets it is the sheriff. He is making a big deal of it because he knows how serious this was and that these brats in the end are going to get away with it and he does not want to see that happen. But they will as I said in my previous post those cards appear to be already dealt.

I just hope the victim gets a savvy civil lawyer so these parents get sued broke and the victim ends up with their kids tuition and can go to Harvard or Yale while the best their kids can hope for is community college or flipping hamburgers at the local fast food restaurant. Then just maybe these parents can see what kind of failures they are.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Just toss them all into general population of a prison... in Brazil, for a year.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Socio
I just hope the victim gets a savvy civil lawyer so these parents get sued broke and the victim ends up with their kids tuition and can go to Harvard or Yale while the best their kids can hope for is community college or flipping hamburgers at the local fast food restaurant. Then just maybe these parents can see what kind of failures they are.
Pretty optimistic. How do you know this isn't the current life path anyway? You forgot the teenage pregnancy too.

A valid use of civil suits though.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: seemingly random
"Grady Judd is a big showboater," Robert Schumaker, the father of Stephen Schumaker, said, speaking of the Polk County sheriff. "He's got this blown out of proportion and nobody's happy about it.
Whatever sentence the kids get, the parents should get the same sentence. The parents just don't fucken get it.

I agree, the kids don't get it, their parents don't get it and the DA does not even get it, the only one that gets it is the sheriff. He is making a big deal of it because he knows how serious this was and that these brats in the end are going to get away with it and he does not want to see that happen. But they will as I said in my previous post those cards appear to be already dealt.

Sounds like a good idea, allow parents to be sued broke for any crimes committed by their children and make the use of a belt/cane/paddle 100% legal, then watch the crime rate drop with minors. If the kid is too big to paddle or has a gun, call the cops to beat some sense into him/her and/or some on the spot electro shock therapy. Image how things would be if even todays "bad" parents made a vigors effort to ensure that their kids grow up with strong moral values so they steer clear from crime (such as beatings), their life savings depends on it.

Just like how in some places major fines and criminal liability are placed on the employer, you see a MAJOR push for work place safety, not because the employers are nice people but because the laws exploit greed and make it cheaper to be safe then to push your workers into unsafe positions. (if you don't believe this works, then look at the oil sands in Canada)

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I'm sorry but I don't remember cheerleaders being that ugly when I went to school. Just wanted to mention that.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Good link with more info on story and video from their court appearance.

Seems that some of the girls still don't get it:
"The fact they could spend the rest of their lives in prison didn't stop several of the teen girls accused of beating a Polk County cheerleader and videotaping it for the Web from chatting, smiling and even laughing before their first appearance in adult court Friday."

And I love the video of the angry dad saying this is being overblown by the sherif.
Let's beat up your daughter for half an hour and put her in the hospital and then tell me the sherif is over reacting.

Orlando Paper article with video

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: SSSnail
I'm sorry but I don't remember cheerleaders being that ugly when I went to school. Just wanted to mention that.

Oh it certainly happened. Maybe not as common though that could be a fault of perception rather than a fact.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I heard about this on the radio and yes a total lack of remorse is right, in fact they wanted to know how long they were going to have to be at the police station because they did not want to miss cheerleading practice.

Did the police release them in time for Cheerleading? I smell a lawsuit if they missed practice.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

"The fact they could spend the rest of their lives in prison didn't stop several of the teen girls accused of beating a Polk County cheerleader and videotaping it for the Web from chatting, smiling and even laughing before their first appearance in adult court Friday."

And I love the video of the angry dad saying this is being overblown by the sherif.
Let's beat up your daughter for half an hour and put her in the hospital and then tell me the sherif is over reacting.

It could be that they know the fix is in like I suggested a few posts up and they really have nothing to worry about.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SSSnail

we had one football game at a small school. one of there cheerleaders was maybe 250 lbs and ugly as sin.

come to find out they let anyone on the team who shows up. just so they can fill out the roster heh.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

It could be that they know the fix is in like I suggested a few posts up and they really have nothing to worry about.

Nah... they are just that stoooooooooooopid

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Apparently Dr. Phil has seen the potential to profit from this; He posted bond for Mercedes Nichols, the reported ringleader of the group. His representatives told the media covering the story that they could leave now, "because the Dr. Phil Show had exclusive rights to the story".

edit: sp (after numerous quotes)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Apparently Dr. Phil has sen the potential to profit from this; He posted bond for Mercedes Nichols, the reported ringleader of the group. His representatives told the media covering the story that they could leave now, "because the Dr. Phil Show had exclusive rights to the story".

oh you have got to be fucking kidding me.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Apparently Dr. Phil has sen the potential to profit from this; He posted bond for Mercedes Nichols, the reported ringleader of the group. His representatives told the media covering the story that they could leave now, "because the Dr. Phil Show had exclusive rights to the story".

I guess we are going to see a prime time episode of Dr. Phil parading these little idiots in front of national TV won't that be special. If I see them getting million dollar book deals next I am going to puke!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy

oh you have got to be fucking kidding me.

No shit! Sponsors list anyone?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

I guess we are going to see a prime time episode of Dr. Phil parading these little idiots in front of national TV won't that be special. If I see them getting million dollar book deals next I am going to puke!

I think the victim might be quite happy to see that book deal, a good target for a civil suit. They write the book (as if) and she gets a million.

So far I've been thinking they're all probably white trash with no money. Particularly how the parents have acted.

Fern

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern
I think the victim might be quite happy to see that book deal, a good target for a civil suit. They write the book (as if) and she gets a million.
So far I've been thinking they're all probably white trash with no money. Particularly how the parents have acted.
Fern
My thought, exactly, when I saw Socio's reply. I do wonder if Florida has a law (as do some states) prohibiting criminals from profiting from deals related to their crimes? That sort of law has put the kibosh to any number of criminal memoirs.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Apparently Dr. Phil has seen the potential to profit from this; He posted bond for Mercedes Nichols, the reported ringleader of the group. His representatives told the media covering the story that they could leave now, "because the Dr. Phil Show had exclusive rights to the story".

I don't know if I would believe that story.

Especially after the flak Phil got over what happened with Brittney Spears.

If anything I would expect him to get the victim on TV since that would make for a better show.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
If anything I would expect him to get the victim on TV since that would make for a better show.
Better than analyzing what drove the poor girls to attack? Dr. Phil will show us why the attackers are the true victims in this tragedy.

edit: as for the credibility of the story, I shall see if I can find it linked on Fox News for you.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yeap its been on the evening news.

though the Dr. Phil show is not going to help now. said something aobut now that everyone knows there is no point in it

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

story is definitely true... the Dr. Phil show blamed it on some staffers and backed away from it.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Dr. Phil... YOU SUCK ASS.. what a profit WHORE... he is a sicko.. let those bitches sit in jail for awhile.. don't coddle them ... that is how they got so fucked up in the first place

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Six Teen Suspects In Videotaped Beating Out of Jail
The judge set strict rules if any of the teens comes up with the money to get out of jail. They cannot return to Mulberry High School, use any Internet sites like MySpace or YouTube and there's a strict curfew that essentially keeps them under house arrest.
http://www.wftv.com/news/15858324/detail.html

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
My two cents:

I'll preface it by saying that these kids are criminals and should be tried under the full extent of the law. Now, why has video taped beatings become popular? The youtube culture? Disenfranchisement? What? The news media deplores these types of tapes with all their gusto, yet plays them during every single news cycle.

I guess people like to be disgusted.