Cheerleaders Ambush, Beat Girl on Video

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I sure hope they get what?s coming to them though I have heard some on the radio yesterday making excuses for it like saying the kids that participated in this were not bad it was just a natural phenomenon called pack mentality that induced the behavior, basially coming off like they were victims too.

With people thinking like this these kids are not even going to get a slap on the wrist it more like group hug sessions and they will all end up on a heart wrenching tear filled episode of Opera, or Dr. Phil.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: Genx87
Wait little one, wait.

Oh I see, this is your way of backing out of the conversation to save face? Just grow up and admit you were wrong.

WHAT THE FUCK

GodlessAstronomer
iamaelephant

Oct 27, 2007
Wait little one, wait.

Oh I see, this is your way of backing out of the conversation to save face? Just grow up and admit you were wrong.

Heh one thing we do know is 99% certain. Behavior learned is usually behavior taught. These kids will teach their kids the same. Lets cut them off at the pass I say.

Oh well gee, why didn't you mention you had a crystal ball? Of course now that we know for certain that these teenagers will definitely pass on this type of behaviour we can mutilate them right now and "cut it off at the pass". If only I was capable such clear headed reasoning.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Such violent brutality on another might be grounds for execution by my book. I am a little conflicted on how I?d proceed with that but it?s the first thing that springs to mind.

WTF :confused: Yeah, this is pretty damn screwed up, but seriously, WTF? I don't think I'm the only one here who can say I did some stupid shit when I was a teenager (nothing as bad as this, but still stupid). I'm not even the same person anymore. Killing a teenager for assault? Wow.

Premeditated entrapment and permanently maiming another person goes a little bit beyond assault. I am far more interested in ensuring they never do this to another person. Those who forfeit the lives of others forfeit their own lives.

I understand if you and the law disagree with me and want to ensure they get another chance. I just don?t think the next victim deserves that injustice. I have stated I am conflicted on this matter and I feel it is borderline, but I just don?t see any other way to ensure they don?t continue to inflict their vengeance upon others. Prison itself could go either way. They might seek redemption or they might merely continue to seek vengeance.

I don?t know how to control that outcome. How does society brainwash to instill a sense of value in human life to those who have already transgressed against it? On this note, forgiveness begins with repentance. The reports state they aren?t regretting what they did. That tends to cement my view that there is no redemption for those who do not seek it.

If we seek value in the life of those who seek to harm/destroy life then we are guilty of their crimes just the same. What are we to do to avoid this?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I find it interesting that we would try the under 18 years old teens in this attack as a adult however the same teens would not be considered old enough to consent to having sex with a adult.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Premeditated entrapment and permanently maiming another person goes a little bit beyond assault.

Just a quick thing I want to point out, the article states:
The girl can no longer see well out of one eye and hear from one ear, Local 6 reported.

It does not mention whether or not these injuries are permanent, and these are pretty normal temporary effects after a beating. Not that I think this excuses anything and I could well be wrong about this, but I wouldn't be so quick to call the injuries permanent.

Aside from a possible factual dispute, I understand your side of the argument but firmly disagree. I suppose the only major difference between my way of thinking and yours is that we weigh the benefits and risks of human life versus possibility of reoffending differently, and probably the negative impact of reoffending too. I consider human life to be very valuable and it would take a lot to make me want to end it. Certainly a lot more than an horrific assault on an innocent teenage girl.

I suspect the only disagreement between you and I is a philosophical one that is unlikely to be resolved on an internet forum.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Looks like the rug maybe lifted and this is about to get swept under it:

Judge issues gag order in videotaped beating of teen

BARTOW, Fla. ? A judge wants everyone involved with the notorious videotaped beating of central Florida teen to keep their mouths shut.

A Polk County judge issued a gag order Wednesday in the case against eight teens charged in the videotaped beating of a 16-year-old female classmate.

Sounds like the judge was this to fall off the media radar which probably means he plans on doing little or nothing about it I am betting.

However I think the Sheriff knows this and does not was this to just go away:

Sheriff disagrees with gag order ruling

POLK COUNTY -- A Wednesday ruling that prohibits Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd from talking about the case of a videotaped beating of a Bay Area teen is not sitting well with the Sheriff.

In a written statement, Sheriff Judd says, "I have the highest respect for the court and highest personal respect for Judge Michael McCarthy. He is my friend. I do, however, respectfully disagree with the court's ruling to prohibit me, an independent Constitutional Officer, to speak freely and inform the public regarding this case or any case."

Sheriff Judd was silenced after the attorney for one of the teen suspects in the case said his client would not be able to get a fair trial because of the growing coverage of the incident in the national media.

In other words the attorney wants the media to go away so there will be little or no pressure for his client to be punished.

It is a shame but I think this case is on a fast track to a wrist slap at best.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Ns1
Wait little one, wait.

WHAT THE FUCK

GodlessAstronomer
iamaelephant

Yeah super wtf. How did he get his own custom title?

I want a "PotUS" title :p

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You can not allow teenagers to just beat the hell out of someone just because they dont like what a person has said. Does the term Civil Society elude you somehow? Are we civilized or are we just animals?

I say prosecute them and try them all for premeditated torture. These actions are the actions of a terrorist not a civilized society. It is a fight when one person beats up another person. However, when a group of people beat up a person this is like gang warfare or a mob inciting a riot. Use the gangster statutes against them designed for organized crime. Basically they tortured this other girl.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
One of the parents of the attackers says that only two teens took place in the beating.

If that is true I would try them two as adults and I am guessing they would be looking at a year or two at most.

For the other 4 I would just leave them in Juvi hall until August when school starts again and then put them on a probation that requires them to stay in school until they graduate. I would also not allow them to participate in sports, cheerleading or other school activities.

It may not seem very harsh to us adults, but at that age 5 months locked in the house is going to seem like an eternity.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think the ones who directly participated in the beating should maybe spend a week sharing cells with convicted murderers in a supermax facility. I doubt they'd come out alive, but it'd probably be pretty decent justice. See how they like being on the receiving end of unbridled evil.
That is a little harsh... but put them in their own cells in the mens wing for a few days and let them listen to the other men insult and verbally abuse them all day would certainly teach them a lesson.

Some time in a real prison would be good for all of these girls. Would wake them up to the harsh reality of life beyond cheerleading and Myspace.

My first year with the school system I was doing support for all the "special schools" which included the juvenile detention center. I think just spending some time there will probably work wonders for these little wanna be thugs. It is not a place that anyone other than a seasoned gang banger wants to spend any time in.

Feb 24, 2001
Humm, just read somewhere that all 8 have been charged as adults and face life in prison on kidnapping charges.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Humm, just read somewhere that all 8 have been charged as adults and face life in prison on kidnapping charges.

Yes, but the confession was obtained through waterboarding so will likely be thrown out, and the videotape failed authentication so will be excluded as well. Looks like we have 8 hardened criminals out on the street again.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think giving them a few months in jail, during summer break would be good. They loose their summer, and don't screw up their schoolwork. I think (hope) that might cure them of doing anything like this again.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I suspect the only disagreement between you and I is a philosophical one that is unlikely to be resolved on an internet forum.

I agree to that, but if I was provided an alternative means - if we as a society could do the improbable and invent a method of greater success at instilling a sense of value of human life than prison - then I would be much less likely to jump to the only guaranteed protection.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: GarfieldtheCat
I think giving them a few months in jail, during summer break would be good. They loose their summer, and don't screw up their schoolwork. I think (hope) that might cure them of doing anything like this again.

A few months in jail for something as sick, twisted and depraved as this?? As I said before, 3 years prison for all of them, minimum.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Yes, charged as adults Link

The seven Florida teens accused in the "animalistic attack" filmed for YouTube are to be tried as adults, WFTV.com reported Thursday.

Mercades Nichols, 17, Brittini Hardcastle, 17, and Britney Mayes, 17, face charges of felonious battery, false imprisonment and kidnapping in connection with the attack. Cara Murphy, 16, Kayla Hassell, 15, April Cooper, 14, Zachary Ashley, 17, and Stephen Schumaker, 18, face charges of felonious battery and false imprisonment.

Three of the teens are additionally charged with tampering with a witness.

Fern

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

The seven Florida teens accused in the "animalistic attack" filmed for YouTube are to be tried as adults, WFTV.com reported Thursday.

Mercades Nichols, 17, Brittini Hardcastle, 17, and Britney Mayes, 17, face charges of felonious battery, false imprisonment and kidnapping in connection with the attack. Cara Murphy, 16, Kayla Hassell, 15, April Cooper, 14, Zachary Ashley, 17, and Stephen Schumaker, 18, face charges of felonious battery and false imprisonment.

Fern

ha, they threatened a witness, lol. I love their names, how stereotypical cheerleaderish is that? 2 Britney's with different spellings, Mercades (Mercedes?), Cara, Kayla, April, Zack and Steve. Ah me.

And the marine-cliff-puppy incident blowback stuff happened here too:
Meanwhile, a central Florida couple claim they are being hounded by angry callers who mistakenly think they're connected to the notorious videotaped beating of the girl.

Darlene and Jerry Ashley's phone number was mistakenly posted by a user of the YouTube video-sharing Web site, along with the numbers of the other teens charged in the beating.

Callers think the Lakeland couple are the parents of one of the teen boys involved who has the same last name.

They say they have gotten around 300 angry, abusive calls from all over the country Wednesday.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

Fern

It says here that all eight will indeed face charges of kidnapping, which carries a penalty of up to life in prison

I bet the little idiots are really crapping their pants now.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Socio

Fern

It says here that all eight will indeed face charges of kidnapping, which carries a penalty of up to life in prison

Probably, but they're not getting life, the charge is just a bargaining chip. I predict no more than 5 years max for any of them, and in all likelihood, far less.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Fern

Probably, but they're not getting life, the charge is just a bargaining chip. I predict no more than 5 years max for any of them, and in all likelihood, far less.

You know after re-reading that article I think you are right;

Even with the strong charge of kidnapping it seems pretty fishy that they only charged them with misdemeanor battery particularly since it was a calculated premeditated attack. I mean for ****sake beating on someone for a half an hour is not a just a simple misdemeanor infraction it is freaking no less than torture.

I am no lawyer but this does look like it is setup for a very easy plead down to basically nothing.

I see it going down something like this; The DA will say we will take the kidnapping charge off the table if you plead guilty to misdemeanor battery. They will agree and plead guilty to the misdemeanor and in turn the judge will give them six months, time served, and they will go home.

Hopefully Fern is right and at least they get financially raped by the victim in civil suits.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Fern

You know after re-reading that article I think you are right;

Even with the strong charge of kidnapping it seems pretty fishy that they only charged them with misdemeanor battery particularly since it was a calculated premeditated attack. I mean for ****sake beating on someone for a half an hour is not a just a simple misdemeanor infraction it is freaking no less than torture.

I am no lawyer but this does look like it is setup for a very easy plead down to basically nothing.

I see it going down something like this; The DA will say we will take the kidnapping charge off the table if you plead guilty to misdemeanor battery. They will agree and plead guilty to the misdemeanor and in turn the judge will give them six months, time served, and they will go home.

Hopefully Fern is right and at least they get financially raped by the victim in civil suits.

Hopefully the kidnap charge is just something to keep them behind bars immediately until the DA files more charges...

Kidnap and misdemeanor assault are also equal to shoving some guy into a hallway and slapping him in the face once ...

They need this to be a lot more than just one or two charges - too bad the victim didn't never fought back.. I would have at least broken a couple throats or necks if that was me