Check out this message I got from Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Tell Congress, "No New Net Taxes"

Internet Sales Taxes--Your costs go up. Your buyers' costs go up. You are required to comply with the same tax laws as the nation's largest retailers. This scenario could soon become reality.

The sales tax laws governing today's Internet and catalog retailers are simple: If you sell something to a person living in your state, you collect sales tax. If that customer doesn't live in your state, you don't collect the tax. However, a number of state governments and the biggest retail giants in America are planning an aggressive lobbying campaign to change the law. They want to require small retailers to operate like the biggest retail chains, collecting taxes everywhere.

We all know times are tough and state governments are looking for more tax money. Likewise, big retailers see an opportunity to gain a competitive edge by imposing new costs and higher prices on their smallest competitors. Luckily, the tax ground-rules can't be changed without congressional action. There's still time to stand up and be counted. If you think adding a new tax burden on small Internet retailers is a bad idea, now is the time to make your voice heard. Click here to send a letter to your U.S. Representative and Senators today.

It won't be easy. But together, Internet retailers like you can stop these new taxes.

Sincerely,

Tod Cohen
VP and Deputy General Counsel, Government Relations

-----------------------------------
Lack of commentary by the OP has locked the thread

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Since you're(not you "you" ;)) supposed to Pay your Taxes anyway and don't, this kind of Legislation has pretty much been forced to occur.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Originally posted by: sandorski
Since you're(not you "you" ;)) supposed to Pay your Taxes anyway and don't, this kind of Legislation has pretty much been forced to occur.

well i always thought it was just matter of time anyways, but would these "p2p sales" done on ebay be taxed? or would it only for business?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
So basically ebay is urging people to tell congress to not put in measures that will make tax evasion harder.

I am not unsympathetic, however.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
So, this doesn't effect companies like NewEgg, but would effect people like me?

Just another way big business uses government to edge out their smaller competitors. :(

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
So, this doesn't effect companies like NewEgg, but would effect people like me?

Just another way big business uses government to edge out their smaller competitors. :(

Most Sales Taxes don't apply to Sellers until they make $X amount of Sales.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's pretty hard to enforce something like this, even if it's passed. The IRS doesn't have the manpower to even partially enforce the code that's already on the books, let alone this.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
So basically ebay is urging people to tell congress to not put in measures that will make tax evasion harder.

Not the way I am reading it.

The sales tax laws governing today's Internet and catalog retailers are simple: If you sell something to a person living in your state, you collect sales tax. If that customer doesn't live in your state, you don't collect the tax.

Ok, so right now I have to pay sales tax at NewEgg because they have distribution centers here in TN, where I live.

I sell on Ebay, and don't charge tax to people who's shipping address is not in TN.

However, a number of state governments and the biggest retail giants in America are planning an aggressive lobbying campaign to change the law. They want to require small retailers to operate like the biggest retail chains, collecting taxes everywhere.

See, this is basically big business using gov't to decrease their competition from smaller businesses.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Not the way I am reading it.

The sales tax laws governing today's Internet and catalog retailers are simple: If you sell something to a person living in your state, you collect sales tax. If that customer doesn't live in your state, you don't collect the tax.

Ok, so right now I have to pay sales tax at NewEgg because they have distribution centers here in TN, where I live.

I sell on Ebay, and don't charge tax to people who's shipping address is not in TN.

However, a number of state governments and the biggest retail giants in America are planning an aggressive lobbying campaign to change the law. They want to require small retailers to operate like the biggest retail chains, collecting taxes everywhere.

See, this is basically big business using gov't to decrease their competition from smaller businesses.

You gotta admit that Internet Sales being untaxed is an Unfair advantage.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
lol tax this tax that, Change I can believe in!

You do realize sales tax predates the Obama administration, right?

You also realize that the 'retail giants of America' have nothing to do with the Obama administration, right?

Or, are you just stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.