Check out this beautiful visitor I spotted at work today!

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
It's a zebra worm. That's where zebras come from. And all this time you thought they were mammals. Excuse me for a moment.

Hahahahaha

Ok, I'm back. ;)

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You guys never disappoint whenever I make a thread. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who can appreciate seeing something like this. That's why I continue to post here because I know you all can appreciate something like this to.:):hearteyes:

Plus now you know why we chose that painting while in Sonoma. My wife and I love everything plant related even if it's bugs! haha

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Do you sell much milkweed? I've been meaning to dig some up at work, but I never seem to make the time.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I found this guy today...

IMG_20220803_140041392_HDR.jpg

This is very bad, but it's interesting that it was molting. They're also very attractive. Same as our other Chinese import; the emerald ash borer. This is the spotted lantern fly. I saw my first one last summer, and before summer was over, I saw thousands. It's gotten worse since then :^(

• Wow
Reactions: Shmee and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I found this guy today...

View attachment 65331

This is very bad, but it's interesting that it was molting. They're also very attractive. Same as our other Chinese import; the emerald ash borer. This is the spotted lantern fly. I saw my first one last summer, and before summer was over, I saw thousands. It's gotten worse since then :^(

I've yet to see a Spotted Lantern-Fly in Connecticut but supposedly they're coming HERE. Ash-Borers pop up all the time and have been a major problem in New Haven already.

:(

New Haven's Ash Trees Devastated by Beetles

An infestation of the emerald ash borer, a bark eating beetle of Asian descent, has forced the removal of nearly 400 ash trees already, with 190 more scheduled to be removed in the next two years.

(NBC Connecticut ~ 2019)

Reactions: Shmee and lxskllr

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Do you sell much milkweed? I've been meaning to dig some up at work, but I never seem to make the time.
We sell a lot of them. Not only the swamp milkweed but also other plants that attract pollinators. About 3-4 years ago when it came to light that pollinators such as butterflies were becoming endangered especially in urban environments my customers started asking more and more for plants that attract them.

Since then I've made it a personal goal to educate as many customers as possible to the benefits they offer.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Why is it that everyone else gets the interesting bugs but me?

Because you never go outside.

OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but I do see your point.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i woke up with a spider nestled inside my ear canal one morning

didn't know what it was, so i stuck my finger in there and accidentally squished it

luckily i was still tired enough that i didn't find it totally traumatizing

As I've helpfully pointed out in the past re: the "spider behind the toothbrush" meme, the really disturbing thing about this is that spiders have zero interest in your ear.

What spiders DO have interest in is EATING INSECTS.

You do the math. ;)

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I leave the spiders and cave crickets alone to do their heavenly work. The cave crickets are especially vicious with small mammals. I've found a dead mouse after they were finished with it. Yuck. Just and empty bag of fur. But I would never try to kill them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Long as you don't try to pick one of those crickets up they won't bother you.... I understand they pack a painful bite though!

Reactions: Charmonium

ASK THE COMMUNITY