check out these new AM2+ boards!

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
yeah anyone building a budget amd system might want one of those in case phenom becomes worth it down the road.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
lol, I wish there were some reasonably priced intel motherboards....

Maybe AMD can pull something out of their butt, as I won't be ready to splurge for another month or so. If they can get a phenom out that can do 3.0 on air, and priced less than the Q6600, I might bite.

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
4/7 of them are OOS though...

I've been looking to build an AM2+ / Phenom for fun.
Just doesn't look like its time yet. I'm going to hold out till after the New Year.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'd be happy if there were more support for Phenom on AM2 boards. Asus seems to have answered the call (I think?) but otherwise . . .

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: taltamir
holy shiza... thats for a quad crossfire board too! talk about cheap!

The 99 dollar board isn't crossfire at all sry =| The cheapest one there is the out of stock MSI board for 179.99

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I don't see what's so great about these boards...perhaps I'm missing something.

The Gigabyte (and Abit) P35 boards retail at around $100, and I'm certain they would outperform these Phenom boards, simply due to superior processors on the intel platform at this point.

The only thing I like about the 790 platform is the potential longevity (if AMD can stay in business long enough).

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Boards from Tier 1 manufacturers are retailing for $99 right out of the box? That seems like a really good deal to me. Even if obviously AMD boards are cheaper to manufacturer overall.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: bfdd

The 99 dollar board isn't crossfire at all sry =| The cheapest one there is the out of stock MSI board for 179.99

thats weird... They are using the 790FX chipset (the quad fire chipset) but only one slot?

Why not use the 770 chipset for 1 slot and the 780 for two slots as they were supposed to...

Well, I gues that is actually a GOOD Thing... I would always prefer to get a hifger quality chipset and wouldn't want to pay extra for stupid useless pcie 16x slots that I am not gonna use (I am not buying more then one video card!)

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

thats weird... They are using the 790FX chipset (the quad fire chipset) but only one slot?

Why not use the 770 chipset for 1 slot and the 780 for two slots as they were supposed to...

Well, I gues that is actually a GOOD Thing... I would always prefer to get a hifger quality chipset and wouldn't want to pay extra for stupid useless pcie 16x slots that I am not gonna use (I am not buying more then one video card!)

I think not buying a crossfire board if going with a phenom build would be retarded seeing as how the 3870 falls behind the 8800GT. It's a good card I recommended it to my friend since it's easier to find and cheaper(220 he got his for) than a 8800GT, but I also put a crossfire p35 board on the list for his machine so he can buy another 3870 at the beginning of next year and get some more performance.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004

I think not buying a crossfire board if going with a phenom build would be retarded seeing as how the 3870 falls behind the 8800GT. It's a good card I recommended it to my friend since it's easier to find and cheaper(220 he got his for) than a 8800GT, but I also put a crossfire p35 board on the list for his machine so he can buy another 3870 at the beginning of next year and get some more performance.

And what is keeping you from using a 8800GT in the 790FX?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Nothing, really.

But in a month or so some brave soul is gonna put 4 OC'ed HD 3850's (or **gasp** 4 x 3870's) into something like the MSI K9A2 Platinum 790fx and beta test for the hardware and gaimg industries.

I prefer single-card solutions like you but AMD/ATI in their own convoluted way is staggering forward with some pretty dang interesting stuff. I think everyone benfits when all the kinks get worked out.

The MSI K9A2 CF 790[B
is around $100 and will Crossfire x8 / x8. I think ZipZoomfly misreported the chipset as 790Fx.

With a mature BIOS and drivers these suckahs are headed in the right direction :D

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Nothing, really.

But in a month or so some brave soul is gonna put 4 OC'ed HD 3850's (or **gasp** 4 x 3870's) into something like the MSI K9A2 Platinum 790fx and beta test for the hardware and gaimg industries.

I prefer single-card solutions like you but AMD/ATI in their own convoluted way is staggering forward with some pretty dang interesting stuff. I think everyone benfits when all the kinks get worked out.

The MSI http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1333&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171#
is around $100 and will Crossfire x8 / x8. I think ZipZoomfly misreported the chipset as 790Fx.

With a mature BIOS and drivers these suckahs are headed in the right direction :D

I was refering to the ones in that link and like you said 4 card crossfire. Looks neat =)