Check out Ron Pauls fundrasing for the next 24 hours

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Its funny, they want to blame Ron Paul supporters for being "spammers" when in fact they do the spamming with their trolling posts in every single thread, even when asked not to.

Anyways, whats the final number for the day November 5th?

Don't worry about the hate spammers. They're a free bump and usually good for a laugh at the ignorance of others. ;)

As far as the total for yesterday, RP's site is saying > 3.8 million and it was ~ 4 million on ronpaulgraphs dot com when I quit checking last night.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Ron Paul is very popular with the younger, more tech-savvy crowd. However, that crowd typically doesn't vote. Hopefully all this activity will change that - having younger and more knowledgeable vote can only be a good thing!

They are also less likely to have a home phone, just a cell phone. So his numbers in telephone polls are likely to be underestimated.

So many excuses..lol

Why do you post at all? Your contributions are worthless one-liners usually late at night. Get a life.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CitizenKain
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
If Ron Paul keeps raising millions consistently like this, he'll definitely be a force to be reckoned with in the primaries. Assuming Ron Paul gets the nomination, I wonder who he would choose as his running mate, cause I doubt he would pick any of the other Republican candidates because of their stance on the war.
He will need to show that money can translate into localized voting support.

No really, its the fault of the polls that Ron Paul consistently scores so low, it has nothing to do with having a spread out and extremely vocal following.
It may be the polls and/or the people being polled.

Come 3 months from now, we will know where the rubber meets the road.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Even though there are many skeptics who think Ron Paul no chance of winning the Republican nomination, with the skeptic likely correct, its seems a valid question to ask, in the event Ron Paul does win the nomination, whom would he likely choose as a running mate? And if Ron Paul does well in early primaries, and even stays a force as the larger states start voting, would announcing his VP choice early enhance his chances of getting the nomination?

We must also realize that Ron Paul has one potentially Republican nomination securing asset that distinguish him from the entire Republican field because he is the lone Republican in the field against the Iraq war and similarly foreign adventures wars. If in the possibly unlikely event GWB inspired occupations lead to a giant backfire by triggering regional wars that spin out of control, or a similar more likely backfire triggered by a GWB inspired Iranian bombing, the public mood could turn decidedly isolationist almost overnight disqualifying any but Ron Paul from receiving Republican Primary votes.

In the event Ron Paul wins the Republican nomination.

Would Ron Paul be more likely to select a fellow libertarian for the VP slot, or maybe a fellow antiwar Republican with perhaps solid domestic and foreign policy credentials, or might he select a more main stream Republican that was for the Iraq war and without any real libertarian credentials to broaden his base?

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Would Ron Paul be more likely to select a fellow libertarian for the VP slot, or maybe a fellow antiwar Republican with perhaps solid domestic and foreign policy credentials, or might he select a more main stream Republican that was for the Iraq war and without any real libertarian credentials to broaden his base?

If RP chose someone merely because it broadened his base, he'd probably lose a great deal of his current supporters. From what I've seen and speaking for myself as well, it's the fact that he doesn't pander to the base that gets him the support he's currently enjoying. I'd expect a running mate that perhaps takes a milder tone but with similar ideals. Who that might be is anyones guess. I'm not familiar enough with politicians to take an educated guess. Perhaps a democrat with similar ideals to his to stir the pot up a little more?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
What if he chooses a fiscally conservative Democrat? :shocked:

(does one exist?)

:p

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
What if he chooses a fiscally conservative Democrat? :shocked:

(does one exist?)

:p

Haha, no such thing. Though some Blue Dog dems are pretty fiscally conservative compared to some Republicans nowadays.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Ron Paul is very popular with the younger, more tech-savvy crowd. However, that crowd typically doesn't vote. Hopefully all this activity will change that - having younger and more knowledgeable vote can only be a good thing!

They are also less likely to have a home phone, just a cell phone. So his numbers in telephone polls are likely to be underestimated.

So many excuses..lol

Why do you post at all? Your contributions are worthless one-liners usually late at night. Get a life.

and your contributions amount to what?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ That shatters the previous record by Obama of $3.1M in 24 hours, doesn't it?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Does this really mean anything?
$4 thousand or $4 million the guy doesn?t have a chance in hell.

The guy gets 2-5% in every poll out there. He has NO chance at all.

About the only thing he has shown is that people will throw their money away if you preach the right message.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

About the only thing he has shown is that people will throw their money away if you preach the right message.

Pretty much. I, too, find it odd that a candidate talking about following the Constitution has gotten so much support.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

You make a valid point, but it is too early to tell. It depends on what he does with this money, and how effective those expenditures will be.

As Lemon law pointed out above, potential events could bolster some support for him.

If there ends up being enough support, he may decide to run as a 3rd party after not getting the Republican nomination. I guess this is what you fear, huh, him taking votes away from whoever does get the nomination? But from what I have seen, at this point, things don't look good for the Republicans either way. They have trully fucked themselves over with Iraq.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Paul is attracting thousands of people who have never voted before...They are never included in the polling.

People are drawn to Paul's message when they hear it. He is promising a radical change from the corrupt system we have today in America, and that appeals to millions.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
Paul is attracting thousands of people who have never voted before...They are never included in the polling.

People are drawn to Paul's message when they hear it. He is promising a radical change from the corrupt system we have today in America, and that appeals to millions.

Not sure if that's accurate. Good polls are the ones done soundly from a scientific and statistical standpoint; correctly identify your target population (U.S.) and parameters (D, R, I), carefully draw your sample via random selection, and then interpret the results as best you can. Unless you're saying there are millions that want Paul that have never registered to vote before, presumably because they're very young, then I agree with you on that premise. Hopefully enough people vote for Paul so that a more moderate version of him might spring up someday.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Regardless if some like it or not, the old age factor matters. At least in MHO, both Ron Paul and John McCain are now too old to run for President.

Even if the time is finally ripe for the message, the messenger can't be too old which is just a luck of the draw factor. The last thing needed is a President dying of natural causes or going senile mid-term.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Regardless if some like it or not, the old age factor matters. At least in MHO, both Ron Paul and John McCain are now too old to run for President.

Even if the time is finally ripe for the message, the messenger can't be too old which is just a luck of the draw factor. The last thing needed is a President dying of natural causes or going senile mid-term.

Going senile mid term is better than going anti-civil liberties and invading sovereign nations for 7+ years.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ If you're senile, you actually lose sense of reality and the ability to problem solve. Despite what many on these boards may claim, Bush isn't that bad or unreasonable. Though I'm sure you were just being rhetorical. ;)

But in terms of the old age argument, I'm not sure I buy it Lemon. Look at Reagan. If you can effectively communicate, I think POTUS is definitely possible for any politician all other things being equal.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, first off, you all know where I stand with regards to Ron Paul. I'm not going to insult or degrade any of you, including Ron Paul himself.

But, damn! I have to give his crew kudos, as I doubt RP is techno enough to pull this off on his own, but this fundraiser is the absolute best example of successful viral marketing. (If the money is real....YTBD) :laugh:

BUT- maybe viral marketing is more powerful than we think.

The plan: Get into the heads of a few geeks, then reach exponentiality, then ultimately, critical mass. Product en course, Sheeple!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Ok, first off, you all know where I stand with regards to Ron Paul. I'm not going to insult or degrade any of you, including Ron Paul himself.

But, damn! I have to give his crew kudos, as I doubt RP is techno enough to pull this off on his own, but this fundraiser is the absolute best example of successful viral marketing. (If the money is real....YTBD) :laugh:

I'm sure that if I look out my window I will see pigs flying. If I turn the channel to ESPN I'm also sure they're talking about the cubs winning the world series. If I could see hell, I'm sure it's frozen over.:shocked:

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

I'm sure that if I look out my window I will see pigs flying. If I turn the channel to ESPN I'm also sure they're talking about the cubs winning the world series. If I could see hell, I'm sure it's frozen over.:shocked:

Too original for you. You know you can do better than that! Are ya havin fun yet? :p
Good thing you read and posted before I'd finished the rest of my post.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004

Not sure if that's accurate. Good polls are the ones done soundly from a scientific and statistical standpoint; correctly identify your target population (U.S.) and parameters (D, R, I), carefully draw your sample via random selection, and then interpret the results as best you can. Unless you're saying there are millions that want Paul that have never registered to vote before, presumably because they're very young, then I agree with you on that premise. Hopefully enough people vote for Paul so that a more moderate version of him might spring up someday.

Those "good" polls track "likely republican voters"...taking the opinions of people who still consider themselves republicans. What they fail to take into account is that the republican base has *SHRUNK DRAMATICALLY* over the past few years. The number of people who identify themselves as republicans has crashed to around 30%, vs 50% just a decade ago. All the republican party has left are religious conservatives and war hawks who think we should flatten the middle east with no regard for the cost in American lives.

The GOP has completely lost a HUGE segment of it's base...those who believe in limited government and greater personal freedom. The Reagan republicans are GONE...disgusted in the growth of spending we have seen under republican rule for the past 8 years, and the continuation of this unnecessary war. The party has had one of it's legs chopped off, and they are trying to pretend nothing is wrong.

Ron Paul is reminding them otherwise...reminding them just how far they have strayed from their principles, and what a disaster for this country it will be if we continue on the current path. This is a strong message that resonates with millions of Americans. People are truly passionate about it and are happy to spread it to others, so it's only a matter of time before Paul's numbers start soaring even in the "official" polls.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, us Paulites are sheeple compuwiz. What does that say about fools like you who blindly follow the Democrats despite repeatedly failing to do what they said they were going to do? What's dumber than a sheep? Compuwiz, apparently.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Those "good" polls track "likely republican voters"...taking the opinions of people who still consider themselves republicans. What they fail to take into account is that the republican base has *SHRUNK DRAMATICALLY* over the past few years. The number of people who identify themselves as republicans has crashed to around 30%, vs 50% just a decade ago. All the republican party has left are religious conservatives and war hawks who think we should flatten the middle east with no regard for the cost in American lives.

The GOP has completely lost a HUGE segment of it's base...those who believe in limited government and greater personal freedom. The Reagan republicans are GONE...disgusted in the growth of spending we have seen under republican rule for the past 8 years, and the continuation of this unnecessary war. The party has had one of it's legs chopped off, and they are trying to pretend nothing is wrong.

Ron Paul is reminding them otherwise...reminding them just how far they have strayed from their principles, and what a disaster for this country it will be if we continue on the current path. This is a strong message that resonates with millions of Americans. People are truly passionate about it and are happy to spread it to others, so it's only a matter of time before Paul's numbers start soaring even in the "official" polls.

The last number I saw reported was 25%, people that consider themselves Republicans.

This is why I think it will be very interesting if Paul decides to run as a 3rd party directly against Rudy and Hillary.