Check Engine Light problem YACT

TranSoft

Jul 19, 2003
Hey i have a honda civic 99 lx.
check engine light just came up... car still drives fine..
what do you think could be the problem? O2 sensor? Fuse? how can i diagnose it?

help plz....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: TranSoft

help plz....

Most likely O2 sensor but you will need to have someone read the codes to know for sure. You cannot DIY, take it to a mechanic and have them pull the codes for you. Some places will do this for free, it only takes a couple minutes at most.

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Compton
Autozone will check the code for free.

Depends on where you live though. In some counties, like Dade in FL, they aren't allowed to do any service work.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Did you check yoru engine to be sure it is still there? It has probbaly been stolen.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Evadman
Did you check yoru engine to be sure it is still there? It has probbaly been stolen.

I had that happen to me once. They took the engine but thankfully left the transmission. At least I could still shift gears.

zener

Aug 1, 2000
Civic like most Honda car, including Acura has an flashing LED in the ECU (Computer). Go to some Civic forum to find where the ECU is located and learn how to read the meaning of the flashing sequence. This is the diagnostic code that the car computer tell you what is wrong with your car.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
My car does that, but see it isn't a Civic. Not even a Honda. It's a Ford Explorer. When the check engine light goes on it means, roughly translated, "your fuel economy has now dropped to 8 miles per gallon due to the fuel injector electrical system overheating." :p

DuffmanOhYeah

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: The_Dude8
Originally posted by: DuffmanOhYeah
go buy yourself an OBDII. Good thing to have.

what is OBDII, and where can i buy one?

An OBDII is a scanner that can pull fault codes from your car. They usually run just over $100 for a good unit.

I did however ssee a cheap one at Harbor Freight a couple of days ago. I have no idea how good it is, but it was cheap ~40ish

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: Evadman

I had that happen to me once. They took the engine but thankfully left the transmission. At least I could still shift gears.

At least they didn't slash the tires and steal the rims... not like anyone would claim that to have happened though. ;)

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
That's only the start. Pulling the code doesn't tell you what the problem is, it merely tells you where to start diagnosing.
A sensor is making the light come on, but that doesn't necessarily mean that sensor is bad.

Autozone is getting rich off fools who replace sensors based on just the code.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: TranSoft

help plz....

Mine just came on too. I went to AutoZone and got a free readout of the codes. I had a misfire on Cyl.1.
Came home and checked the sparkplug wires. It felt a bit loose. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. The engine light went off.

Go to AutoZone and have it checked.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
That's only the start. Pulling the code doesn't tell you what the problem is, it merely tells you where to start diagnosing.
A sensor is making the light come on, but that doesn't necessarily mean that sensor is bad.

Autozone is getting rich off fools who replace sensors based on just the code.

I never said anything about replacing parts. If you can't fix it yourself, you should find out the codes before you take it to a mechanic. It will reduce your chances of getting screwed.

zener

Aug 1, 2000
Agin, if you want DIY, the best way for you is to join some civic forums. They will tell you how to read the code directly from your car's computer. It is very easy. Per example for Acura first generation (1986-2000) , two blinks from the red LED(light emiting diode) followed by a pause means code 2 (one of the 2, I don't remember which one, oxygen sensor is dirty or bad). The computer's Acura is right underneath the front passenger seat. The people in the forum will guide your how to correct your car's failure based on their experience. Your civic is an 99 car so I guess the code will have fast blinking for the first digit and slow blinking for 2nd digit. For example two fast blinks, followed by 3 slow blinks, followed by a long pause. After the pause, if the blinking is the same then you are having only one error which is code 23. This is just my guess. Do not underestimate the people's knowledge in some of the forum. As an example, in www.twinturbo.net, I saw many certified Nissan mechanics asking for their help in the tech forum.