Cheapest video card for 1080p 60FPS Twitch.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Hi all

I am looking for a cheap upgrade for one my media PC's and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Currently, it will play 1080p 60FPS Twitch, but only through VLC which is becoming a pain since I also want to watch the chat. I want to upgrade so I can view it in Chrome.

I would just buy a Chromecast v3 or a Chromecast Ultra, but apparently even they stutter during the high quality 1080p 60 FPS videos I watch. Not sure what codec twitch is using for these videos but I have been unable to get it working with any browser or windows app.

I am happy to buy used on Ebay if it saves some money and would prefer something quite and low power if possible since all it will be doing is decoding video.

PC is an old Fm2 board with a 5800k. The CPU performance is still more than fine for running windows in a snappy manner.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I would just buy a Chromecast v3 or a Chromecast Ultra, but apparently even they stutter during the high quality 1080p 60 FPS videos I watch.
Had no issue with 1080p 60 FPS playback on Chomecast Ultra, but only expect this to work properly when casting from within the browser player or using the smartphone app. If you intend to cast the entire browser window (to cover the chat as well) then video decoding still takes place on media PC, stream is then re-encoded and sent to Chromecast, leading to even more stress on the system. (I do this for Amazon Prime and is glitchy, with seldom stutter even when casting from a i7 8700 machine)

The GT 1030 seems like the natural choice for playback from the PC itself.

Reactions: tamz_msc

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Had no issue with 1080p 60 FPS playback on Chomecast Ultra, but only expect this to work properly when casting from within the browser player or using the smartphone app. If you intend to cast the entire browser window (to cover the chat as well) then video decoding still takes place on media PC, stream is then re-encoded and sent to Chromecast, leading to even more stress on the system. (I do this for Amazon Prime and is glitchy, with seldom stutter even when casting from a i7 8700 machine)

The GT 1030 seems like the natural choice for playback from the PC itself.

Thanks, I might ebay a 1030.

Are you getting 60fps on Twitch or is it another site like Youtube?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Are you getting 60fps on Twitch or is it another site like Youtube?
I specifically tested Twitch (was curious once you mentioned it) - however it was only based on subjective experience since I had no tool to report skipped frames on Chromecast.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I specifically tested Twitch (was curious once you mentioned it) - however it was only based on subjective experience since I had no tool to report skipped frames on Chromecast.

I had heard otherwise but I think its worth trying at least. I really don't need a PC hooked up to every tv in 2018.

I will buy a Chromecast Ultra and give it a go. I really don't care if it misses a few frames I don't notice. If it doesn't work I will grab a used 1030 as they seem pretty cheap.

Really appreciate the help.