Cheapest "PC on a stick"?

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
Hello

Ive been seeing more and more of PCs on a stick such as this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sell-Mini-PC-with-both-Android-Windows-8-system/2044898752.html and I wanted to know the cheapest one with a couple of needs:

- The smaller the better. I would love to be able to put it on my keychain.
- Self powered. We are talking something like MHL 3.0 (which gives 10 W). MHL 1.0 does 5 V DC/500 mA and MHL 2.0 does 5 V DC/900 mA which I think is not enough. No USB powered because that would mean carrying a extra cable around and would kind of ruin the keychain idea
- Bluetooth and Wifi. Wifi for obvious reasons and Bluetooth so I can connect my Android terminal and use it as a keyboard/mouse
- Full x86 compatible processor for....
- ....Windows 8.1 x86 compatible.
- microSD slot

I don't think I need anything else.

Thank you

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
If you need x86 you pretty much linked the only option out there atm. The Meegopads are the first and only sticks running x86 that I know of atm though that will probably change in the coming months.

addoraa

Feb 11, 2005
Those look really cool, cannot believe how small a full computing device has become. So all one really needs is a usb power source, would something like a usb wall charger work as a power source? I would hate to see the space left over on the 16gb model after win 8.1 was installed. lol

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
These are pre-release; and first of their kind which basically mean the price will drop quite a bit in 6 months. If you do not require intel processor there are some arm versions with similar performance for a little less (they don't run windows but will run android or linux)
-
Oddly they show up as no longer available (the ones you linked); also the one on amazon is no longer for sale but zotac mini-pc (for $200) is still available but a bit larger.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
You can get cheap Android versions for 40 or less. These are usually used for making a tv into a smart tv.

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
I am not interested in Android or Windows RT. I need to be able to run Windows x86.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The big negative is they only have 2GB. You coud look at the chromebox which was $120. You would still have to buy memory for $160 total for 4GB but it is quite a bit faster. The installed ssd is 16GB so you might want to address that but then it will be closer to $200. Also instead of a stick is it is 4x4 (so pretty small - smaller than a nuc). Not sure how much luck folks had with windows on these - I went with linux on mine. You can get an I3 nuc for $220 but will have to add memory and disk so will be closer to $300.
-
If you think windows with 2GB is fine then maybe this stick will work for you...

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
The big negative is they only have 2GB. You coud look at the chromebox which was $120. You would still have to buy memory for $160 total for 4GB but it is quite a bit faster. The installed ssd is 16GB so you might want to address that but then it will be closer to $200. Also instead of a stick is it is 4x4 (so pretty small - smaller than a nuc). Not sure how much luck folks had with windows on these - I went with linux on mine. You can get an I3 nuc for $220 but will have to add memory and disk so will be closer to $300.
-
If you think windows with 2GB is fine then maybe this stick will work for you...
Cheapest and on a keychain. My goal with this is not to have a powerhouse. A Intel NUC is too big and a Chromebox is the same thing plus is kind of expensive...