cheapest option for long-term storage?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
let's say I've got the entire contents of a typical 1-bedroom apartment that I'm looking to put into long-term storage (3+ years). I'd be willing to store it anywhere within 1-2 days driving distance of NYC, since I'd only have to visit the facility twice (once to drop it off, once to pick it back up after several years)... which area of the country do you think would be the best bet for cheap (physical) storage?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
unless you have unique/very expensive stuff, just sell it and start over later

and if your stuff is that special/expensive, then the cost shouldn't matter so you can just store it anywhere

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's like, 10 grand worth of new furniture and electronics that I can't see selling on craigslist for anywhere close to what I paid for.

I'm just playing with math in my head, wondering theoretically how cheap I could store it for (natch, a storage facility in, like, the middle of nowhere PA is going to be cheaper than something here in the NYC area).

of course, it's all theoretical at this point. I may never end up moving.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
sell your electronics they depreciate super fast. pods worked for a few people i know, with most of the chain places you will pay similar fees.