Cheapest/Best way to ship a heavy text book? =p

demenion

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
I put my Chemistry book on amazon.com and to my surprise someone already bought it.

What is the best and inexpensive way to ship this book? its pretty heavy like (7-8 pounds)

Amazon only charged 2.26 shipping credit... ?! That does not seem enough...

Ugh, should i just goto the UPS store and have them deal with it...?

Thanks.. i <3 ATOT :D

demenion

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
yeah.. media mail.. (i think that is the perfered amazon method)

what exactly is that... a method for shipping books specifically or something?

thanks for the late night responses

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
yep, for printed and/or electronic media. it's slower, but cheaper. it's usually the primary method for used-book sites like amazon and half.com.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Definitely go with media mail. You can only use it to ship media (printed materials, etc). The restrictions are all on the usps.gov website, but your textbook definitely qualifies. Media mail usually takes quite a bit of time to ship.

R

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Media mail can take a long time, especially with anything close to coast-to-coast

It is reasonably fast if you're only crossing a state or two.

I sent something from Portland OR to San Francisco CA media mail, which isn't very far and it took 3 days.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Try see if you can shoehorn the textbook into a flat rate priority mail envelope. It would be only 3.85 that way as weight is not a factor. I usually try to do this whenever physically possible. Might cost a bit more than media mail but the recipient gets the package a whole lot sooner.