Question Cheaper to build now or wait until the end of the year?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've been waiting to build a new gaming rig until Cyberpunk was released so I had a better idea of what I would need to run that at 4K but I'm getting impatient and was curious about prices and upcoming new hardware. In the past, it seemed RAM and CPUs would be cheaper at the start of the summer while GPUs, PSUs, and motherboards would be cheaper around Christmas/Black Friday but I haven't looked into building a new PC for so long, I'm unsure if that's still the case. I'm looking to spend around $2500 - $3000 on the new computer and I've just been browsing around but right now the prices feel pretty high to me for what's out there.

So, when would be best to start gathering parts? Now or later?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Prices currently are probably about as bad as they can be. I told people to wait for the XT Zen Refresh, and then maybe wait for the 6+ Core APUs, neither of which honestly worked out, but at this point waiting for Zen3 and new GPU is probably best, especially with that kind of budget.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
With that type of budget I too am firmly in the wait and see camp.

If you wanted to start collecting some parts it seems like you could find a case, ram, NVME drive and PSU now. Pricing might fluctuate a bit between now and the end of the year, but you could start watching for deals/availability now and strike when it is advantageous for you.

Trying to find all the components at once at fair prices (good flash with a good controller, a solid PSU, etc.) is really hard. Since you have time on your side (waiting for Zen 3 and Ampere seems like a really smart move) I would be opportunistic for the next couple of months.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The only bad thing about pre-buying is having to deal with iffy manufacturer RMA processes for defective products in lieu of a quick defective return to your seller.

Were it me, I'd wait until the later of Black Friday or the release of your game to see what is available then. I suspect the pandemic will likely make the online sales better than usual this year.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Were it me, I'd wait until the later of Black Friday or the release of your game to see what is available then. I suspect the pandemic will likely make the online sales better than usual this year.
I concur, basically.

Also, I just earlier read an article, I think on TechSpot.com, about SSD and DRAM oversupply, they are supposed to drop in price 15% or more, starting soon, through late 2020 and early 2021.

We might see 480/512GB-class SATA SSDs below $40!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured I would be better off just waiting but once I start looking into new hardware and knowing I'm going to be buying it soon makes me antsy. Probably the same reason I refuse to watch game trailers anymore because I am extremely patient when it's something I have little information on, but once I start looking at specifics, I want to dive right in. Guess I'll throw up a new topic when the new hardware hits the market.