Cheap TV: TCL 5 vs Vizio E

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I just need a cheap 43" TV for the bedroom. That means TCL 5 or Vizio E. I imagine the Roku is a nicer app experience, although the Vizio has built in Chromecast which is a plus. I guess the Vizio is higher rated PQ with FALD and some semblance of actual HDR, but whatever, I have an OLED in the living room so who cares. Which one spies on you less? Really all I want is <43", a good app suite, and a non-IR remote. Thoughts?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I just got the TCL 43S425 their newest 43 inch 4k TV on Oct 27th. I hooked it up to my HTPC and it has a really good picture, great response time, good color and brightness with minimal tweaking. Unfortunately it has a serious problem. After a few days (and really maybe 4-6 hours total use) it has started to get an error message 'Not enough power for USB device, consider connecting the power adapter if available' that takes up the bottom third of the screen, and returns immediately if dismissed. I have no USB device hooked up to it. In fact it gives this error message even when hooked to nothing at all. Then my HTPC started to get BSODs, but only when hooked up to the TV. Disconnect the TV and I can stress test the PC all I want with no errors, plug the TV in and I get a BSOD in a few minutes. I've tested this thoroughly, it is the TV causing the BSODs.

I've worked with TCL's support and they were all but useless. Their entire troubleshooting steps consisted of various versions of 'turn it off and on again' over several days and hours on the phone. The good news is that they are paying for shipping to return the TV and have it repaired in house, bad news is they do not cross ship because they say that they will repair my TV and return the same one.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The good news is that they are paying for shipping to return the TV and have it repaired in house, bad news is they do not cross ship because they say that they will repair my TV and return the same one.

Just a quick update. It has been a month since I sent my TV in and I finally got it back, and the screen is shattered. They did not pack it properly for return shipping and now I'm waiting for them to email me back about what to do about it. It has been 8 weeks since I bought this TV and I have not been able to use it yet.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Tcl 5 series 43" for 250 on slickdeals bestbuy Ebay store.. google checkout has it for 229..

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Nuts, the BB model doesn't have an RF/wifi remote. Dealbreaker for bedroom, otherwise I would have gotten a smaller set. Also found the avsforum owners thread and it's peculiar there seem to be more problems w/ the 515 version.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Nuts, the BB model doesn't have an RF/wifi remote. Dealbreaker for bedroom, otherwise I would have gotten a smaller set. Also found the avsforum owners thread and it's peculiar there seem to be more problems w/ the 515 version.

ya the included remote is pathetic, the tv works fine and will be connected to either a nvidia shield or 1080ti, after your complaints i went ahead and got a samsung nu7100 instead of another TCL. Fairly certain the remote will not be pathetic and picture quality will be lil better but 120$ more.

Reactions: happy medium

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I got a Vizo "43 refurb at Walmart.com for $150 shipped, very happy with the picture quality and the set looked like it was brand new. I think since all manufactures are phasing out non smart TV's out of their offerings Vizo simply used the refurb route to sell off these rather than undercut their current "43 smart TV. Downside is only 2 HDMI inputs and non IR remote, not an issue for me since it's a bedroom set. The audio is thin as well but that's expected in this size/price range anymore.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I got a Vizo "43 refurb at Walmart.com for $150 shipped, very happy with the picture quality and the set looked like it was brand new. I think since all manufactures are phasing out non smart TV's out of their offerings Vizo simply used the refurb route to sell off these rather than undercut their current "43 smart TV. Downside is only 2 HDMI inputs and non IR remote, not an issue for me since it's a bedroom set. The audio is thin as well but that's expected in this size/price range anymore.
its a E series ?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Grabbed a TCL 43S517 for $320. Pretty solid, looks good for price, does what I want. I will comment that the Roku OS can be a little annoying to switch between apps because it completely closes them. My LG seems to keep apps open in the background so you can generally quickly switch between Plex/Netflix/YTTV/etc. and it's still in the state you left it in. OFC, LG's app selection sucks.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Grabbed a TCL 43S517 for $320. Pretty solid, looks good for price, does what I want. I will comment that the Roku OS can be a little annoying to switch between apps because it completely closes them. My LG seems to keep apps open in the background so you can generally quickly switch between Plex/Netflix/YTTV/etc. and it's still in the state you left it in. OFC, LG's app selection sucks.
Yea, the TLC brand is one that has been rising, it's an inexpensive set but above the likes of Hisense or Element, they are one of the big sellers on Amazon and why not, good features, good quality and all at a very fair price point. My next upgrade will be from my 2009 Phillips in the living room I bought in '09 for $1,400. Ugh, the fact that it's worth $100 stings LOL!. TLC will be on my short list for sure.

Reactions: TeeJay1952