Cheap Superchips for Ford and GM

6TNINE

Banned
Oct 6, 2000
it's a computer chip you throw in the computer in you vehicle that overrides shifting points and fuel/air ratios to give you more POWER!

normally its rated at 10-15% more horses and 20% more torque, or something like that

Wooster

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
Not a bad deal for superchip. I remember I brought mine from Hyperchip for around $400. But that's way back in 1996 / 1997 thou.

My Car - Mustang

KB
You crack me up on that one. :D For more info about superchip, click here.

Nice found, six. I wish we have Anandtech Hot Deal forum back then. Too bad I am selling my car and got rid most power equipment & add-on.

valkyrie

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Too bad you have to use 90+ octane. I'd probably do it, but the extra gas expense is getting a little too rich for my blood.

:)

98 Mustang 3.8L

6TNINE

Banned
Oct 6, 2000
hey, i'm just as poor as the next poor college student, but hey what's an extra 15-20 cents a gallon for premium. i mean @ 21 gallons for my explorer its like 4 dollars max every 2 weeks, for the extra power, i absolutely love it, i step on it, and boom, instant downshift, instant power, plus it removed the programed speed limiter, haha, no more cutting out at 108 mph!!!

RoadRuner

Banned
Oct 4, 2000
heh, if you get 10% at red line you'll be lucky.
save the money and get a k&n.

chips really only make the huge difference on a lot of foreign cars or blown/worked motor which can use the improved fuel curves..

if you get 2% more torque/horsepower at 1500rpm you'd be lucky.

Sparty

Oct 10, 1999
Hey, Don't forget to get a K&N air filter to get another 10-20 horsies :)

6TNINE

Banned
Oct 6, 2000
K&N filter injection kits rule, i picked one up of fleabay, haven't had a chance to put it in yet, but my buddy has one and ohhhhhhhhhh I LOVE IT. i hate my tires anyway. oh yeah and it just sounds better too

Santa

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Nice Car Wooster! :)

I was curious.. you added the Superchip to that Automatic Mustang (GT I presume) .. did it make that much of a differnce? How hard did it hit your mpg (at all?)?

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
If I put a "Powered by Intel" sticker on the car, will that make it go faster too?

Many of these superchips are for race only as they will not pass emissions.

Wooster

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
Santa

Thank you. :) Actually it's 3.8L but sounds like GT due to the custome exhaust and looks like Cobra with other apprearance kit. I am not sure Superchip make any difference, because I add all custome add-on at the same time. But for sure they gave me a lot of power.

Wangel

I have Superchip installed and no problem with emission. Maybe it's just Illinois. In California, I may not pass because of different emission law. :)

I am assuming if you put "Powered by Intel" your engine might explode at 1.13GHz RPM. :D

The only thing I would like to know is can we overclock those superchips? :p

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
Too bad they don't make a "reliable chip"...you know....makes the car almost as reliable as an Import.

BTW...I drive imports only...my friends that are "american only" are always griping about thier Mutangs, Corvetts, Chev's, etc being in the shop....hehe

YEA YEA, I know....there are exceptions to the rule, but check out the NHTSA statistics. You're more likely to be in an accident in an American passenger car (based on percentages,not total numbers)and are more likely to die. Another report (source?) clearly shows that American cars are far less reliable during the first 5 years of ownership...info from dealers across America.

I had a 76' Datsun 280Z...could go 145mph on the straight when it had 220,000 miles on the original engine. No mods, no "super chips", regular unleaded gas. Two years ago, a drunk in a Chevy Blazer smashed my car while parked in Seattle. Of course the dude had no insurance...

Currently driving a 99' BMW 540i V8....except for maint...never sees a shop. :)

My Flaming two cents....

6TNINE

Banned
Oct 6, 2000
I always wanted to buy a SVT 'stang but I just don't think that i could get used to driving a car again, now that i love my explorer, i just can't put up w/ sitting that low. anyone feel my pain?

Sparty

Oct 10, 1999
Wangel wrote..."If I put a "Powered by Intel" sticker on the car, will that make it go faster too?"

If you want to make it go faster, just put some chrome on it, on the engine, the more the better. Don't forget the window stickers, but watch out, if the stickers are racing stickers be careful, those are only for people that have lots of experince in racing and could be too much for the average street car ;)

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
Drove a Porche 914 for awhile...ya know, made of VW parts....everyone had high-beams it seemed. :cool:

Edit:

I head that putting a BIG tachometer on the steering column or a fire extinguisher on the support column makes the car faster too....

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Chips are bogus. You can do the same thing chips do by just bumping up your timing, which will require premium fuel, just like the chips require. Putting "Powered by Honda" stickers will make your car go faster than a chip will! :)

AMDfreak

Aug 12, 2000
I have a 95 Ford Contour with the 2.5 V6, but my dream car is a Saleen Cobra. One day..........:D

Jdog

Oct 14, 1999
souka, you make me sick....4L V8 in a 5 series (green with envy);)

huesmann, on most late model high performance engines, the timing is variable, and so the computer controls it---no distributor to twist. Chips are the only way (with the exception of BMWs that are programable) to adjust timing.

This is a good deal, but my mopar doesn't need any help :p I already have too much power from a 3.5L transverse V6 in my Dodge Intrepid....I can sqeal the tires at any point between 0-20mph.

Skoonen

Jan 14, 2000
Get it straight guys... Heres a list of ways to make your car faster
1- Add as many stickers as possible
2- buy rims that cost more than your car
3- make sure you use an exhaust pipe atleast 4x the size of the original
4- put a big shopping cart handle on the bar of your car aka spoiler
5- brake lights are supposed to be while w/ red bulbs!
6- tint your windows
7- if you have a honda or acura make sure you have the type-R sticker... oh hell any car can have a type-R sticker, ive seen them on NEONS!
8- the lower to the ground your car is, the faster it is
9- racing stripes, racing stripes, racing stripes!
10- a very loud stereo system

spec411

Apr 18, 2000
there is some GOOD info among the comedy here, namely:

A chip ISNT going to boost POWER that much (unless your car is turbo or supercharged), but some models can do things like alter shift points, elimiate top speed limiter, etc which will give better performance characteristics...

You do pay a expense using premium fuel and you do void your car warranty..id say a chip is good to use from about 36,000 miles (when warranty is up) to 80-90,000 before parts start wearing and you dont want to push them so hard..

much better to simply buy the more powerful factory engine option than upgrade a weak car to begin with (ex just get civic si instead of dx and modding, mustang gt instead of v6)