Cheap Saturn Ion Mods

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I think I decided I want the Saturn Ion.

Best modifications for under $1k?

($1024 hehe)

I think I'll add a poll once I get some ideas.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd

($1024 hehe)

Why would you mod an Ion?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Sundog

($1024 hehe)

Good question.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002

The rims are ugly. The gas milage and/or performance could be better with chip upgrades.

Mainly, though, I want a car that is my own. I have no idea what's out there, though, so I came here for ideas. I'll probably do a very small percentage of whatever you people mention.

My best idea so far:
I'm really thinking about putting a small computer in it to manually adjust the ignition timing. I want a switch in it to go back and forth from "best performance" (late to work, merging onto a highway, etc.) to "best gas milage" (early to work, routine trip, etc.) On most cars, this is set constant as a trade-off between performance and fuel economy. With a stick shift, one could theoretically control that (short shifting, etc.), but that doesn't really control the ignition timing. Most cars retard at the high end, for instance, limiting their high-end power.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Sundog Why would you mod an Ion?
The rims are ugly. The gas milage and/or performance could be better with chip upgrades. Mainly, though, I want a car that is my own. I have no idea what's out there, though, so I came here for ideas. I'll probably do a very small percentage of whatever you people mention. My best idea so far: I'm really thinking about putting a small computer in it to manually adjust the ignition timing. I want a switch in it to go back and forth from "best performance" (late to work, merging onto a highway, etc.) to "best gas milage" (early to work, routine trip, etc.) On most cars, this is set constant as a trade-off between performance and fuel economy. With a stick shift, one could theoretically control that (short shifting, etc.), but that doesn't really control the ignition timing. Most cars retard at the high end, for instance, limiting their high-end power.

Why in the hell would you want that. Just advance your timing manually and keep it that way. There won't be a very significant power upgrade, maybe a few horses at most.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002

The rims are ugly. The gas milage and/or performance could be better with chip upgrades.

Mainly, though, I want a car that is my own. I have no idea what's out there, though, so I came here for ideas. I'll probably do a very small percentage of whatever you people mention.

My best idea so far:
I'm really thinking about putting a small computer in it to manually adjust the ignition timing. I want a switch in it to go back and forth from "best performance" (late to work, merging onto a highway, etc.) to "best gas milage" (early to work, routine trip, etc.) On most cars, this is set constant as a trade-off between performance and fuel economy. With a stick shift, one could theoretically control that (short shifting, etc.), but that doesn't really control the ignition timing. Most cars retard at the high end, for instance, limiting their high-end power.

You dream big dreams.
It's an Ion. There are plenty of better cars you can get.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: Sundog Why would you mod an Ion?
The rims are ugly. The gas milage and/or performance could be better with chip upgrades. Mainly, though, I want a car that is my own. I have no idea what's out there, though, so I came here for ideas. I'll probably do a very small percentage of whatever you people mention. My best idea so far: I'm really thinking about putting a small computer in it to manually adjust the ignition timing. I want a switch in it to go back and forth from "best performance" (late to work, merging onto a highway, etc.) to "best gas milage" (early to work, routine trip, etc.) On most cars, this is set constant as a trade-off between performance and fuel economy. With a stick shift, one could theoretically control that (short shifting, etc.), but that doesn't really control the ignition timing. Most cars retard at the high end, for instance, limiting their high-end power.
You dream big dreams. It's an Ion. There are plenty of better cars you can get.

I agree. I CAN STAND the sub-par quality of the interior. I know sub-par is normal for GM, but this is even lower than GMs crappiness. The interior looks like it was designed by a person who works for Tyco and is mentaly handicapped.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I just thought of these:

sun roof (maybe... my friend had one put into his Cavalier for $400)

stereo (simple after-market CD player with an 8" or 10" sub... just enough to add a little quality without being boomy)

mesh grill (very easy to do it yourself cheaply. See older Saturn here

steel diamond-patterened floor plates (similar to these) These are quite Euro, but they're extremely cool in my opinion. It's like that stuff they make truck bed tool boxes out of.

Any other ideas, guys?

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Didn't GM stop production on them due to horribly poor sales? I know the reviews I've read on them usually ended with "run away..run far far away"

Diamond plate? hahahahahaha I have seen it all.

Apr 5, 2000
If you want better rims or better performance buy a better car. Simple as that. You haven't bought it yet so why bother spending a meager amount when you can buy a better car that already has better components?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
"Type R" sticker = $7.95

"Fart Can" muffler = $189.95

"Chrome Tip For Fart Can Muffler" = $19.95

"LED Washer Nozzles" = $29.95

"Chrome Windshield Wipers" = $39.95

Look on my face as you drive by, profilin' and stylin with your hip-kid Fubu Jeans and wallet w/long chain = PRICELESS.

:D

CLIFF NOTES:
It's a Saturn. Any attempt to modify the vehicle in any way makes you a bigger dork than the fact that you bought a Saturn in the first place.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
there are a lot of saturn forums....personally I don't care for the Ion, but I hate just about any 4 door.

I picked up a 96 SC2 to get as a college car and sold off my VW VR6. My SC2 turned out the be a limited model with perforated gray leather, all black exterior....it's nice most think I am joking when I tell them it's a saturn (they picture the 4 door models).

Anyways...it's got a space frame, 4 wheel disc's, 5spd...I am putting out about 150hp now with a weight of 2450lbs...independant suspension...I was going to throw on a T3 turbo (about $2-3k), but I am going to go to a 944 turbo instead. Maintenance is easy as the car was designed 'clean slate' for ease of maintenance.

You can check out what I have done at my site.

For forums you have:

SaturnFans - be careful there it's run by a goodie two shoes ;)

Saturn Speed - a lot of kids, I actually had to talk to a university president of one 'haxor' there :)

SaturnSpot - Pretty cool, one of the main posters runs a Saturn only junkyard here in Florida.

TurboSaturns - Sort of cliquey, but for every 100 guys talking turbo only 1 does it

XtremeSaturn - owner has a Twistec Turbo, I saw it installed two years ago

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MichaelD
"Type R" sticker = $7.95

Look on my face as you drive by, profilin' and stylin with your hip-kid Fubu Jeans and wallet w/long chain = PRICELESS.

How young do you think I am? Do you think I'm part of that Britney-loving, jailbait crowd that gets money from mom and dad to go rice-out a Civic?

Get real here. I have a practical reason for everything I want. Stickers and far cans suck. I'm a believer in the views expressed on this website: http://www.shitonhonda.com

I like diamond-plate floor mats because they're extremely durable and easy to clean. I was actually thinking about putting a hole in the floorpan to emulate the flexibility of the Jeep... just hose it out to clean it.

Factory-installed and dealership-installed radios are a huge ripoff. Aftermarket stuf is almost always a better deal. I don't care about watching a dolphin swim on my movie screen as my Eminem crap plays. I just want a simple CD player to listen to some Led Zepplin or J. S. Bach.

Modifications that are purely superficial boggle my mind. Why would someone pay money for chrome windshield wipers or for huge stickers that go across the top of the windshield? What's up with those useless wings? What's up with fake badging?

I'm not your average 15-year-old car freak. I'm 20, and I know who I am better than your average 40-year-old. I know my own tastes, and I will not be swayed by a crowd. Never pidgeon-hold me as a ricer poser.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Why in the hell would you even be looking at an aftermarket sunroof??!?!!?! At least get a car that has it as a factory option, aftermarket is CRAP. As far as taste, I think you want to appear to have it, but in reality, you don't. Anyone who buys an Ion doesn't.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
"Type R" sticker = $7.95

How young do you think I am? Do you think I'm part of that Britney-loving, jailbait crowd that gets money from mom and dad to go rice-out a Civic?

Get real here. I have a practical reason for everything I want. Stickers and far cans suck. I'm a believer in the views expressed on this website: http://www.shitonhonda.com

I like diamond-plate floor mats because they're extremely durable and easy to clean. I was actually thinking about putting a hole in the floorpan to emulate the flexibility of the Jeep... just hose it out to clean it.

Factory-installed and dealership-installed radios are a huge ripoff. Aftermarket stuf is almost always a better deal. I don't care about watching a dolphin swim on my movie screen as my Eminem crap plays. I just want a simple CD player to listen to some Led Zepplin or J. S. Bach.

Modifications that are purely superficial boggle my mind. Why would someone pay money for chrome windshield wipers or for huge stickers that go across the top of the windshield? What's up with those useless wings? What's up with fake badging?

I'm not your average 15-year-old car freak. I'm 20, and I know who I am better than your average 40-year-old. I know my own tastes, and I will not be swayed by a crowd. Never pidgeon-hold me as a ricer poser.

I'll bet you're drinking milk too!

Someday you'll be big and strong and buy a real car.

J/K. Your post kinda begs for you to be lumped in with the Rice, though. Really.

Just put a nice stereo in it, tint the windows, get the floormats of your choosing and a GOOD alarm. Not that factory garbage.

Good luck.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Why in the hell would you even be looking at an aftermarket sunroof??!?!!?! At least get a car that has it as a factory option, aftermarket is CRAP. As far as taste, I think you want to appear to have it, but in reality, you don't. Anyone who buys an Ion doesn't.

I have my own taste. If it's too salty for you, order your fries without it.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

I have my own taste. If it's too salty for you, order your fries without it.

And, aftermarket sunroofs are CRAP. It WILL leak. Cutting a hole in the roof is never a good idea. If its done right, it'll cost more then it would to have the factory do it. (Assuming you can even get a sunroof in a Saturn)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: EngineNr9
Roofmounted external speakers that loop the songs from the commercials?

LMAO EngineNr9 :D

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000

Actually, if you get the sunroof as a factory option and it breaks...you're screwed. You have to buy a whole new module which costs more than the sunroof when you configured the car originally