Cheap razors for shaving

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
So I am pretty cheap in general, and I have a light-moderate beard.

I shave Mon-Friday, usually skip one or both weekdays.

I found myself staring at refill blades of Mach 5 or Sensor 3 or whatever razor I have at the house, and I am thinking, WTF? The refill price is over two dollars a cartridge? Ridiculous.

So the Walmart I was in has 10 disposible twin blade razors for $1.49.

Let me tell you, the shave with that 15 cent razor is AS GOOD as the 4 or 5 bladed monstrosity I was shelling out good money for, AND, easy to manuever around, especially under my nose.

Discuss.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Multiblade razors are a marketing scam. There isn't much you can do with a razor and charge big money, so they make shit up to get new products out at inflated prices.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I stocked up on twin blade razors from Costco, they were on sale, $19.99 for 52 disposable.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been using Good News+ since forever. For the store brands you have to try them out. I haven't had any luck with them so I just stick to Gillette.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
So I am pretty cheap in general, and I have a light-moderate beard.

I shave Mon-Friday, usually skip one or both weekdays.

I found myself staring at refill blades of Mach 5 or Sensor 3 or whatever razor I have at the house, and I am thinking, WTF? The refill price is over two dollars a cartridge? Ridiculous.

So the Walmart I was in has 10 disposible twin blade razors for $1.49.

Let me tell you, the shave with that 15 cent razor is AS GOOD as the 4 or 5 bladed monstrosity I was shelling out good money for, AND, easy to manuever around, especially under my nose.

Discuss.

well duh. that is why people using DE blades more.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I Mach 5'd for a year or two, then got tired of the mess and self-cutting.

Got a new cheapo Philips Norelco and been super happy since. Then again, I have minimal facial hair so my last Norelco lasted about 10 years before it started pulling too much -- same blade.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Multiblade razors are a marketing scam. There isn't much you can do with a razor and charge big money, so they make shit up to get new products out at inflated prices.

Probably at some point (six blades? seven?), yeah. But from my perspective there was a definite and very significant change in shaving comfort and closeness as we progressed from single blade safety razors, to twin blade, and then triple blade. I believe they put more effort into this than you're giving them credit for. The market is very competitive, and you're not buying the handle. If you use a razor and it gives a close shave without abrasion or irritation you'll probably keep using it. I know, for example, at Gillette employees come in unshaven several times per week and shave at the office to test new razor designs.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A straight razor is actually the best deal for your money. 5, maybe 10 bucks and you are set for life.

The only downside is shaving's a skill and its really painful and messy until you learn. Upside is you will never get any closer. There is nothing else comparable.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Nikolai_Valuev.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A straight razor is actually the best deal for your money. 5, maybe 10 bucks and you are set for life.

What kind of razor do you get for $5-$10? I paid $18 for a NOS German made razor, but that was ~25 years ago. I'd expect to pay $80+ for anything decent and new.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Dorco USA sells basically the same product as gillette for much less.

Oddly enough I just got my order from Dorco today! I got 2 handles and 40 blades for 32$ shipped. 12 Gillette Fusion blades are $35! These are every bit as good and sooo much cheaper.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
look for Solingen....

Yea, that's where mine was made. It's a Puma. I had gotten some Henkels dirt cheap at a flea market with the hope of cleaning them up, but the rust was too deep. I'd get the blade in decent shape, and a rust pit would ruin the edge. Oh well, it was a cheap gamble. I'd never buy a new razor. There's too much good stuff in antique shops, and as long as you stay away from fancy scales, you can get them at a much better price than new.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Yea, that's where mine was made. It's a Puma. I had gotten some Henkels dirt cheap at a flea market with the hope of cleaning them up, but the rust was too deep. I'd get the blade in decent shape, and a rust pit would ruin the edge. Oh well, it was a cheap gamble. I'd never buy a new razor. There's too much good stuff in antique shops, and as long as you stay away from fancy scales, you can get them at a much better price than new.

yeah. that's what i did. One i like the most a Gem JR is over 100 years old. i love it and works great.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
protip

freeze your razors before use and they stay sharp longer! Same with pantyhose

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Walmart has a 12 pack of Schick Disposable Razors, 12 ct for $1.97.

You might as well just pull each hair out individually, since that's what those disposables feel like. If you have next to zero facial hair, or your hair isn't coarse, maybe they'd work, but for me, they were brutally painful.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
If you exist where there are Weis, their 6 blade store brand razors are pretty good and fairly cheap.