Cheap powered speakers for TV

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by Insomniator, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Insomniator

Insomniator Diamond Member

So my grandmothers new Sharp LED has an absolutely ridiculous issue... When headphones are plugged in the speakers are muted. I can't find anyway to have both going at the same time. She uses wireless headphones that plug in via the headphone jack and would also like to have regular speakers working also. The sound needs to come through the tv because it has netflix built in, and a dvd player and cable box attached.

Best plan I can think of is a headphone splitter and plug in powered computer speakers and the headphones at the same time.

No room for a subwoofer... just need a set of 2.0's that is loud enough to power a decent sized 20x20 living room. I'm not sure if a crappy $10 dell set can do this.

Was thinking maybe these? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-...puter+speakers

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Cheap powered speakers Forum Date
    Decent cheap 50" 1080p TVs? Say under $700, Best Buy Audio/Video & Home Theater Mar 26, 2017
    Cheap over ear headphones for gym? Audio/Video & Home Theater Jun 8, 2016
    cheap dual zone audio system? Audio/Video & Home Theater Apr 25, 2016
    Cheap Bookshelves +T Amp vs Powered Studio Monitors vs Computer Speakers Audio/Video & Home Theater Sep 27, 2009
    Building a cheap, low-power HTPC for a secondary TV Audio/Video & Home Theater Jun 13, 2007

3. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

This is totally normal.
    Most people don't need speakers on when they are using headhones. Most electronics with headphone jacks do this.
    That being said, most fairly cheap speakers will be comparable to flat screen speakers as they are universally horrible.

4. SithSolo1

SithSolo1 Diamond Member

If you have room you can get a pair of Dayton B652 speakers and a Lepai LP-168HA amp from Parts-Express.com for around 70 bucks. Much better than that Creative set.

5. brainhulk

brainhulk Diamond Member

6. Insomniator

Insomniator Diamond Member

Did not know they made cheap amps for this purpose, I'm sure I have some old home theater speakers I can use with this. Thanks!