Cheap powered speakers for TV

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
So my grandmothers new Sharp LED has an absolutely ridiculous issue... When headphones are plugged in the speakers are muted. I can't find anyway to have both going at the same time. She uses wireless headphones that plug in via the headphone jack and would also like to have regular speakers working also. The sound needs to come through the tv because it has netflix built in, and a dvd player and cable box attached.

Best plan I can think of is a headphone splitter and plug in powered computer speakers and the headphones at the same time.

No room for a subwoofer... just need a set of 2.0's that is loud enough to power a decent sized 20x20 living room. I'm not sure if a crappy $10 dell set can do this.

Was thinking maybe these? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-...puter+speakers

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
So my grandmothers new Sharp LED has an absolutely ridiculous issue... When headphones are plugged in the speakers are muted. I can't find anyway to have both going at the same time. She uses wireless headphones that plug in via the headphone jack and would also like to have regular speakers working also. The sound needs to come through the tv because it has netflix built in, and a dvd player and cable box attached.

Best plan I can think of is a headphone splitter and plug in powered computer speakers and the headphones at the same time.

No room for a subwoofer... just need a set of 2.0's that is loud enough to power a decent sized 20x20 living room. I'm not sure if a crappy $10 dell set can do this.

Was thinking maybe these? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-...puter+speakers

This is totally normal.
Most people don't need speakers on when they are using headhones. Most electronics with headphone jacks do this.
That being said, most fairly cheap speakers will be comparable to flat screen speakers as they are universally horrible.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
If you have room you can get a pair of Dayton B652 speakers and a Lepai LP-168HA amp from Parts-Express.com for around 70 bucks. Much better than that Creative set.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
If you have room you can get a pair of Dayton B652 speakers and a Lepai LP-168HA amp from Parts-Express.com for around 70 bucks. Much better than that Creative set.

Did not know they made cheap amps for this purpose, I'm sure I have some old home theater speakers I can use with this. Thanks!