Cheap OBD2 scanner for those in need , Only $33

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Thought this get to more people here then in Hot Deals.

OBD2 scanner for $33

If you have a harbor freight near you print this coupon, open to anybody and linked from HF's site.

Not a super fancy one but will do what Advance, Az, and some others do but you will not need to go anywhere to get it done.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
can it clear faults is the question.

these are the types that give you Pxxx only, i THINK. normally comes with a book for you to crossrefernce the Pxxxx into the fault like P0420 is a cat effiecnt something... great for someone who wants to know whats going on and someone who wants to throw parts at a car. But say you get a P0420 the book will tell you pretty much your cat is bad. You cant view the data on your rear o2 sensor or any other sensors. So you replace a $500 cat instead of replacing a $50-150$ o2 sensor which was the cause of it because it was dead giving out false readings on a car.

But then again faults like say " b1s1 o2 sensor faulty" then you replace it and be on your way. It kinda helps and it kinda doesn't to me. I personally dont have a scan tool as of yet. I've been looking at the windows based ones you put on your laptop for $100.

this might be a better buy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

something in the lines of that. exactly the same thing but a little lower.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Can anyone tell me if this is any good? Now that I have an OBD2 car, I'd like to have an OBD2 scanner.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: T2urtle

these are the types that give you Pxxx only, i THINK. normally comes with a book for you to crossrefernce the Pxxxx into the fault like P0420 is a cat effiecnt something... great for someone who wants to know whats going on and someone who wants to throw parts at a car. But say you get a P0420 the book will tell you pretty much your cat is bad. You cant view the data on your rear o2 sensor or any other sensors. So you replace a $500 cat instead of replacing a $50-150$ o2 sensor which was the cause of it because it was dead giving out false readings on a car.

But then again faults like say " b1s1 o2 sensor faulty" then you replace it and be on your way. It kinda helps and it kinda doesn't to me. I personally dont have a scan tool as of yet. I've been looking at the windows based ones you put on your laptop for $100.

The B1S1 O2 Sensor Faulty would probably be P1195

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn
Can anyone tell me if this is any good? Now that I have an OBD2 car, I'd like to have an OBD2 scanner.

It is a basic one.

If your engine light comes on it will tell you what the code is for it and help you try to find out what is wrong. It can also clear codes to make sure it was a one time thing.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Can they give you fuel usage info etc? Any computer interface?

If you want something like that you will have to drop a few more bucks. Get autotap or autolap, can't remem, or another software program that comes with the connectors to hook up your laptop to your car. Then you can monitor just about anything.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I have a p0430 on my car which is a bad precat (or so it thinks). The sensor is just a monitoring one, not one that alters any values in the computer. So, i bought an o2 stimulator and will put it in sometime in the next couple months. A precat for my car is around $400.00 and the sensor is $140.00 and not sure if the sensor will fix it.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Originally posted by: slag

I have a p0430 on my car which is a bad precat (or so it thinks). The sensor is just a monitoring one, not one that alters any values in the computer. So, i bought an o2 stimulator and will put it in sometime in the next couple months. A precat for my car is around $400.00 and the sensor is $140.00 and not sure if the sensor will fix it.

an o2 sim would be the only thing you need to turn off that fault in most cases. which only cost about 25-50$

How a ECU figures the cat is bad is by looking at data from the front sensors and compared to the rear sensors, the rear sensor tells the ECU if the cat is doing its job. A o2 sim just duplicates the readings and tricking the car to think the CAT is working to specs. Its how a lot of people get away with running without cats in some emission states.

A lot of times the cat isn't bad its just the o2 gets slower at reading with age and the sensor isn't working as senstive as it should. Hit the cat and see if you hear any rattles. Rattles would be one way to say you need a cat. These are somethings that OBD2 reading CANT tell you.

Hence i rather save the 33$ and go to autozone as they are fairly common now.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah, i bought a dual output one for $40.00 shipped and just need to put it in one of these days. no rattles from the cat.

Originally posted by: slag

an o2 sim would be the only thing you need to turn off that fault in most cases. which only cost about 25-50$

How a ECU figures the cat is bad is by looking at data from the front sensors and compared to the rear sensors, the rear sensor tells the ECU if the cat is doing its job. A o2 sim just duplicates the readings and tricking the car to think the CAT is working to specs. Its how a lot of people get away with running without cats in some emission states.

A lot of times the cat isn't bad its just the o2 gets slower at reading with age and the sensor isn't working as senstive as it should. Hit the cat and see if you hear any rattles. Rattles would be one way to say you need a cat. These are somethings that OBD2 reading CANT tell you.

Hence i rather save the 33$ and go to autozone as they are fairly common now.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Shawn

It is a basic one.

If your engine light comes on it will tell you what the code is for it and help you try to find out what is wrong. It can also clear codes to make sure it was a one time thing.

It's a Cen Tech and they have the same/similar model at sears for much more.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
tempting....remember autozone will throw the scanner on there for free and clear the code