Cheap lightning cables?

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by senttoschool, Dec 1, 2012.

1. senttoschool

senttoschool Golden Member

Any harm in buying some cheap lightning charging cable on eBay? Need a second charger.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Cheap lightning cables Forum Date
    Charging station for a multitude of (~26) Lightning devices? All Things Apple Nov 9, 2016
    Bought a cheap original 1st gen Ipad with ios 5, should I upgrade it? All Things Apple May 20, 2015
    Dirt Cheap ML Hackintosh! All Things Apple Jul 29, 2012
    Since ATT killed cheap pay as you go data, how can I do pay as you go iPhone now? All Things Apple May 1, 2012
    External blu-ray reader? Cheap and single USB port All Things Apple Mar 23, 2012

3. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Platinum Member

Yep. They may not work.

Lightning cables have a small id chip inside that identifies the adapter to the device. If the device doesn't see the chip, it won't do anything.

4. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

My understanding was that was a secondary function, the primary function was to allow the cable to switch the functions of the pins, since it is reversible and can change its function based on the situation.

5. HaukSwe

HaukSwe Member

I've had a fair amount of fake "old ipod" cables and often got "charging not supported with this device" errors etc etc. It'd probably take a while before a good lightning fake is out?

6. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

I am starting to see Lightening cables on Amazon claiming that they charge and sync. Of course they are far cheaper than the Apple cables.

Has anyone tried any of those?

MotionMan

7. TheStu

Well, Apple charges $20 for theirs, and they say that they have to hold the keys to the chip inside, so I would imagine that we will see people selling legit ones for less than Apple is, but probably not the $2 for 10 that you can get 30pin cables for.

8. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

I ordered some cheap lightning cable from ebay. Still waiting on them. Don't wanna spend $20 at apple, but I have a feeling the cheap ones won't work and I'll be forced to.

9. akugami

akugami Diamond Member

I'd pay $5 tops for a knockoff cable that works. The early ones on Amazon don't inspire too much confidence. Some of them seem to "work" for charging but aren't reversible.

10. senttoschool

senttoschool Golden Member

Let us know how it works.

11. GregGreen

GregGreen Golden Member

I really just wish Apple would sell a longer one. That's all I want.

12. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Yeah, I agree. I don't mind the price, it's just too short.

13. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Just grab a USB extension off Monoprice. They're cheap and they work.

14. GregGreen

GregGreen Golden Member

The USB extensions I have don't charge at full "strength" from the outlet. Downvolt a bit.

I know I can buy a regular extension cord, but I just want one LONGER cord. Not a bunch of cords.

15. Don Vito Corleone

I just received my order of three of these "Chromo Inc." aftermarket Lightning cables - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

I paid $1.98, plus $5 shipping, for each cable. I ordered on Tuesday and received them today (3 days later). While I hate vendors who rape you on shipping, I still got three cables for under $21, less than one Apple branded one would have cost at the Apple store, once sales tax is factored in.

The cables seem to work perfectly for charging, and work regardless of the orientation of the Lightning plug (apparently some of the aftermarket ones only work in one orientation). The cable is similar to, but perhaps a bit thicker than, the Apple branded one, and the USB end has the rounded shoulders used on older iPod cables. Also the end of the Lightning plug has a very slight bulge on the sides (much like the 30-pin iPod cables, but smaller) to retain the plug more securely, something I don't believe the OEM one has. Overall it seems like a fine product and only an Apple nerd would probably notice that it's not OEM.

I do not know whether the cables work perfectly for data transfer, but will report back once I've had a chance to try that.

Unfortunately since I ordered these cables the price has gone from $7 including shipping to $14 with free Super Saver/Prime shipping. At that price I might well have just gone for Apple branded ones. There are still other vendors offering generic Lightning cables on Amazon but none are as highly rated as the Chromo Inc.

#14 Don Vito Corleone, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  16. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

17. yehness

yehness Member

I purchased a 'fake' Lighting to 30pin Adapter... it works until the phone is fully charge then it gives me an error "charging not supported with this device". I usually take the plug out push it back in and it charges... I only would like to mention it doesn't charge as fast.

18. John Dyers

John Dyers Junior Member

I have tried and tested several and have not yet found one that works properly. When we pull them apart, they have a lot of deficiencies: no braided shielding; no drain wire; foil screens not properly terminated.

Frustrating.

19. gmaster456

gmaster456 Golden Member

I've bought a couple of the cheap <$5 cables (30pin) and they worked for a while but very quickly fell apart (literally). I ended up just spending $20 on the apple one.

#18 gmaster456, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. goobee

goobee Golden Member

You created an account just to post this? :eek:

21. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

You have to start somewhere, I guess.

MotionMan

22. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Hey, at least he doesn't want to give you an iPod. So there's that at least.

23. TheStu

Hey hey hey, did someone say Free iPods??

24. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

For what it's worth, I bought two of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Lightn.../dp/B000LGC32Q

One worked fine for charging and data, the other was dead (no charging, no data syncing). I contacted the vendor (Boxwave) for a replacement and they cross-shipped a replacement and it arrived quickly and I sent the dead one back via USPS and that was cheap enough.

I've been pretty pleased. The fit is a bit tighter than the Apple cable and the wires are a bit stiffer, but aside from that, I would really have a hard time telling the difference.

#23 pm, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  25. Rakehellion

Rakehellion Lifer

This. I'd stock up on the 99 cent cables because they'd fall apart and never really fit properly.

Overall, it's less frustrating and just as economical to buy the Apple-branded cables.

26. ColdFusion718

ColdFusion718 Diamond Member

They're not worth it, imho.