Cheap gaming rig CPU's

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
Hi there,
I've been out of the fold for many years.

I'm currently out of work due to an MMA injury. So i don't have alot of money.
I was thinking of going down the Dual Xeon route, 2x Xeons in an LGA 1156.

Can any of you recommend a Xeon that's in high supply that is a better option for me than the Xeon E5650. That's the one i;m currently thinking of getting 2x of. I can get 2 for about 70 euro's. And i can pick up a lovely big a*s LGA 1156 mainboard for about 40 euro's.

Im wondering also, has anyone got any experience overclocking these older Xeons?

So basically, for 2x Xeons and the mainboard for them to go in, it's only costing me about 110 euro (about 125 dollars). I already have a Zotac Geforce 1080 my friend gave me, it's the tiny one with only 1 6 pin power plug on it.

I want to make this thing without a case, any suggestions on a VERY cheap breadboard i can put this thing on? Also, i'm gonna be needed some cheap DDR3 ram that will fit in it, and a PSU.

Thank you SO much.
Boom

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Hi there,
I've been out of the fold for many years.

I'm currently out of work due to an MMA injury. So i don't have alot of money.
I was thinking of going down the Dual Xeon route, 2x Xeons in an LGA 1156.

Can any of you recommend a Xeon that's in high supply that is a better option for me than the Xeon E5650. That's the one i;m currently thinking of getting 2x of. I can get 2 for about 70 euro's. And i can pick up a lovely big a*s LGA 1156 mainboard for about 40 euro's.

Im wondering also, has anyone got any experience overclocking these older Xeons?

So basically, for 2x Xeons and the mainboard for them to go in, it's only costing me about 110 euro (about 125 dollars). I already have a Zotac Geforce 1080 my friend gave me, it's the tiny one with only 1 6 pin power plug on it.

I want to make this thing without a case, any suggestions on a VERY cheap breadboard i can put this thing on? Also, i'm gonna be needed some cheap DDR3 ram that will fit in it, and a PSU.

Thank you SO much.
Boom
I have a x5650. One problem in your post, is that the 5650 is a LGA 1366 socket. X58 motherboards are still pretty pricey, but if you can get a deal on one the performance is great.

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
I have a x5650. One problem in your post, is that the 5650 is a LGA 1366 socket. X58 motherboards are still pretty pricey, but if you can get a deal on one the performance is great.

Excuse me i got the sockets wrong, i was looking at another one also, you're correct it's 1366.
What one do you have? (Board) and do you have dual Xeons? An may i ask what you use the machine for? Im going to be doing a bit of gaming on the machine i think, thanks for the swift reply.

Also have you done any OC'ing?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Excuse me i got the sockets wrong, i was looking at another one also, you're correct it's 1366.
What one do you have? (Board) and do you have dual Xeons? An may i ask what you use the machine for? Im going to be doing a bit of gaming on the machine i think, thanks for the swift reply.

Also have you done any OC'ing?
I have the Asus P6T. Still holds a solid 4.2 Ghz overclock, despite being pretty old now. I do a lot of 3D modeling and rendering on it. I will be building a new Threadripper machine to replace it at some point, when ram and video card prices aren't so crazy. As far as gaming goes, it handles everything I throw at it just fine. No trouble at all.

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
I have the Asus P6T. Still holds a solid 4.2 Ghz overclock, despite being pretty old now. I do a lot of 3D modeling and rendering on it. I will be building a new Threadripper machine to replace it at some point, when ram and video card prices aren't so crazy. As far as gaming goes, it handles everything I throw at it just fine. No trouble at all.

Ah thats weird, i also do alot of 3D modelling also, that's what my job is/was. I'm currently working freelance from home but not getting that many client's as i'm not advertising. That's another reason (the main reason) i wanted to build a 2 CPU workstation myself as these are Hexa cores and the rendering time is great on these.

I'm currently using Maya for modelling from my Laptop, but i basically have to break scenes up into pieces rather than having 1 scene with hidden nodes etc. I'm currently having to make money from video editing as i'm getting more contracts doing that stuff than actual modelling and texturing. Was that one of the reasons you went for a Xeon? Or was it a money issue or?

What graphics card are you using.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Ah thats weird, i also do alot of 3D modelling also, that's what my job is/was. I'm currently working freelance from home but not getting that many client's as i'm not advertising. That's another reason (the main reason) i wanted to build a 2 CPU workstation myself as these are Hexa cores and the rendering time is great on these.

I'm currently using Maya for modelling from my Laptop, but i basically have to break scenes up into pieces rather than having 1 scene with hidden nodes etc. I'm currently having to make money from video editing as i'm getting more contracts doing that stuff than actual modelling and texturing. Was that one of the reasons you went for a Xeon? Or was it a money issue or?

What graphics card are you using.
Still on an old Radeon 6950. I had planned to build last month, but prices... It does work quite well though as is.

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
Still on an old Radeon 6950. I had planned to build last month, but prices... It does work quite well though as is.

Graphics cards are insane at the moment, if you'd like some advice on a card you can upgrade to that's actually really well priced and would be a nice stopgap for you, I'd recommend picking up either the Radeon 460 2gb or 480 4gb. The second one can be pricey, but the first one is a GREAT little card for the cheap cost of it, i know this because a good friend of mine is using one of the 460 2gb and he's regularly 1080p high settings gaming all the time on it.

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018

What is your preference when it comes to modelling, and do you specialize? I'm primarily a texture artist but i'm pretty good at modelling.
I used to love nurbs modellings but seems everyone has moved away from it

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
Here is a thread I made a while ago with all the common models (except the Lenovo D20)---> https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-were-the-best-lga-1366-workstations.2434197/

Wow man there's some great stuff in there, I'm looking at the HP Z420. It comes with no CPU's, no ram or anything like that. But does have the SATA connextions, Raid support, and it comes with an 800 PSU, onboard audio etc... only like 150 euro's... that's awesome!

Do you think i could put the 5650 (or 2 maybe?) in something like this, my 1080 (mini), some random DDR3 ram, anything suggestions for a machine like this that supports a couple of Xeon's?

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
hm i like the Dell Precision T5500 2p for the dual CPU's...
Here is a thread I made a while ago with all the common models (except the Lenovo D20)---> https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-were-the-best-lga-1366-workstations.2434197/

OK i think i found my one. the Dell Precision T7500, comes with 2x Hexa Core 5650's. 24gb Ram, 1tb HDD's etc. ALl i have to do is stick my 1080 in it... thank's so much!

Have you had any luck overclocking on these processors?

Reactions: Crono

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
OK i think i found my one. the Dell Precision T7500, comes with 2x Hexa Core 5650's. 24gb Ram, 1tb HDD's etc. ALl i have to do is stick my 1080 in it... thank's so much!

Have you had any luck overclocking on these processors?

Make sure it's compatible before buying. With OEMs like Dell and HP you are often limited by power supply and motherboard, and space/cooling can sometimes be more difficult.

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
Make sure it's compatible before buying. With OEMs like Dell and HP you are often limited by power supply and motherboard, and space/cooling can sometimes be more difficult.
The great thing about these is alot of them seem to have a PSU, Motherboard, 2x Xeon 5650's, onboard sound and HDD controllers already installed. for about 500 euro shipped, all i have to o is put in my graphics card.

What do you think? maybe you can see something i'm missing brother, and thanks for your input. Here's the sale (lots of them like this)
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dell-T7500-P...155027?hash=item1c9fdd26d3:g:CUgAAOSwopRYbMGI

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018

im actually really confused now. i mean an i7 7700k CPU is only 320 euro, but thats without a mainboard you know? the whole 2x xeon system is only 500 to my door... hmm

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
For a cheap gaming PC, thats looks pretty good. The best thing I see vs the other choices, is that it appears to be generic hardware, which is good, and upgrade-able.

hm i'm not too concerned about the upgrades to be honest, maybe just adding SSD for the drives. Are you familiar with the Xeon CPU's?
I'm not too sure if the 5650 is actually the best one for the price. Any clues? Anything under 50 euro is good (as i want 2).
Now, i know it may sound weird that i want to go this route, like 2 Xeon CPU's instead of a more powerful i5 or i7. But i can get thise whole machine for about 550 euro delivered, wheras just picking up say a i7 7700 would be about 300, or a 6700K would be 200, thats without a mainboard, ram, HDD's PSU etc?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
For a cheap gaming PC, thats looks pretty good. The best thing I see vs the other choices, is that it appears to be generic hardware, which is good, and upgrade-able.

Eh, it's a Q57 board and based on that probably an i5-650. Since he's already got a video card, I'd go with a Sandy-EP/Ivy-EP workstation like the z420.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HP-Z420-Wor...hash=item25e392d820:m:mK5J3CpqYhWT6460O09jbtA

That other rig only has a 1050 in it anyways, so worse case he could sell his 1080, get a 1050ti that doesn't need extra power, buy the z420 and pocket the change.

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
Eh, it's a Q57 board and based on that probably an i5-650. Since he's already got a video card, I'd go with a Sandy-EP/Ivy-EP workstation like the z420.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HP-Z420-Wor...hash=item25e392d820:m:mK5J3CpqYhWT6460O09jbtA

That other rig only has a 1050 in it anyways, so worse case he could sell his 1080, get a 1050ti that doesn't need extra power, buy the z420 and pocket the change.

You'd recommend the z420? But that doesn't support Dual Xeons. I'm wanting to put 2x Xeon 5650's in this machine as i do alot of Modelling / Rendering, and video editing, as well as wanting to play games on the highest settings at 1080p (don't care about 4k as my monitor doesn't support it).

And by the way, would you consider there to be much of a difference between the 2650, 2679 and the 5650's im going for?

BoomSlangx

Feb 16, 2018
You'd recommend the z420? But that doesn't support Dual Xeons. I'm wanting to put 2x Xeon 5650's in this machine as i do alot of Modelling / Rendering, and video editing, as well as wanting to play games on the highest settings at 1080p (don't care about 4k as my monitor doesn't support it).

And by the way, would you consider there to be much of a difference between the 2650, 2679 and the 5650's im going for?
*actually forget that, those 2670's are 4x more expensive that the 5650's heh